catwalk beauties

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
For the past few years a pair of Kestrls have raised at least 2 broods of four babies at one of my husband's tank batteries. After they leave the nest, hole in machine, they hang around on his catwalk till they get the hang of living in the sky. He got these pics a few months ago. He said when that machine-thingy starts leaking, they will replace it with something the birds won't be able to nest in, so we'll try putting up a nest box. In the pic of the single bird at the end of the walk, check out the view in the background, that's my husband's "office".

naturegirl

Attachments

• barnardkestrl1.jpg
    barnardkestrl1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 454
  • barnard kestrl.jpg
    barnard kestrl.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 456
  • barnardkestrl2.jpg
    barnardkestrl2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 448
  • barnardkestrl3.jpg
    barnardkestrl3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 447
  • barnard4.jpg
    barnard4.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 447

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Wow ng. Those are some Awsome pics. Cool that he could get the closeups. I'da figured the parent birds would've been around dive-bombing him. Great pics...

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics they are pretty I am glad he was able to get so close! Please post pics when you get the bird house up for them.

He has got a great view for an office (LUCKY)! :icon_sunny:

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Looks like that metal thingy is a separator...used to separate the salt water, gas and oil. Kestrels will nest easily in a nest box. Good luck with that.
I love raptors! Nice pics.

BW

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're so CUTE! That's awesome that Tom could get that close to them and take those pics. :thumbsup:...
regards,
sandcreek~~~

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Separator! Thanks bravo, that's what he called it, I just never remember. He can get real close sandcreek, they aren't very afraid of him. They have no reason to fear him, and he's the first human they come in contact with. There have been at least 4 babies sucessfuly fledge with each brood, twice a year, since they started nesting there. That's a lot of kestrals! His Kildare families aren't as sucessful since the snakes usually get the eggs.

naturegirl

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics, ng!!

Top Member Reactions