Rounding up the Bison~~~
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    White's Prizm III and Ace 250
    274 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Rounding up the Bison~~~

It's time to round up the bison on the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve. Every year the bison are gathered out of the big pastures and baited with cattle cake into the smaller traps by the bison pens. Then they are processed through the corrals and tested for TB and Brucellosis. The new calves are branded with their birth year and fitted with micro chips in their ears. Approximately 400-500 adults are worked per day. The bison working takes approx. one week to complete. The older cows and bulls will be culled off and sold. The herd should be close to 2,700 head this year!!
    Bison are an important part of the ecosystem on the Tall Grass Prairie. The Preserve is also doing studies on how bison versus cattle graze on the prairie grasses. Bison and cattle are fitted with tracking collars and their grazing patterns are studied. By doing this, it is easier to understand the impact of each on the prairie grasses and the ecosystem as a whole.
    Since my husband is a cowboy on the Preserve, my daughter had the opportunity to ride in the feedtruck while he was "baiting" the bison. She took some really close pictures of the bison and wanted to show them to you all---hope you enjoy!!
    Thanks for looking!!
    sandcreek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2727.JPG 
Views:	415 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	342467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2919.JPG 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	342468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2853.JPG 
Views:	413 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	342469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2785.JPG 
Views:	419 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	342470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2723.JPG 
Views:	407 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	342471  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2736.JPG 
Views:	416 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	342472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2827.JPG 
Views:	418 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	342473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2721.JPG 
Views:	408 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	342474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2882.JPG 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	342475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1130097.JPG 
Views:	409 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	342476  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1130098.JPG 
Views:	404 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	342477  
    "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name". Isaiah 45:3

seger98

Re: Rounding up the Bison~~~

Very good post sandcreek4. Educational & great photos!

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    274 times

Quote Originally Posted by seger98
    Very good post sandcreek4. Educational & great photos!
    Thanks seger98! Its been a great experience for my husband and myself to live and work here on the Preserve. And my kids are learning to be good stewards of the land and appreciate this beautiful place! And (of course) the countless opportunities my daughter has to take wildlife pictures .....
    kind regards,
    sandcreek
    "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name". Isaiah 45:3

us
    The Lord Has Risen

May 2005
    Cherokee Strip
    Cibola
    93 times

Ok fantastic as usual but, for my education.... can you do a 2 pic one of a Bison with the cattle gene and one with out that is pure Bison? PLEASE! There are soo very many Bison herds in the area I would like to see the difference .... so I will be able to tell .

Thanks!
    This is the day the Lord hath made we shall rejoice and be glad in it!

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    274 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mental Granny
    Ok fantastic as usual but, for my education.... can you do a 2 pic one of a Bison with the cattle gene and one with out that is pure Bison? PLEASE! There are soo very many Bison herds in the area I would like to see the difference .... so I will be able to tell .

Thanks!
    Okay, MG, I was just told that we no longer have any bison on this Preserve with cattle genes--so I modified my post and took that part out! Sorry!

sandcreek

us
    The Lord Has Risen

May 2005
    Cherokee Strip
    Cibola
    93 times

Thats ok ! And keep getting her out to take the great pics and you just keep posting them!

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    274 times

Thats ok ! And keep getting her out to take the great pics and you just keep posting them!
    Will do . This coming weekend, she's going to take some at the corrals when they're actually working the bison(running them through the chutes, ect..) So we'll add some of those pics to this post.
    kind regards,
    sandcreek

us
    The Lord Has Risen

May 2005
    Cherokee Strip
    Cibola
    93 times

Great will be looking for them!

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    7337 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Evertime I think I'm gettin the hang of bein a Coloradan, or Coloradite, or whatever the proper term is, I see pics like these and remember where I came from. Think I'll call my dad and see what he's up to today. Great pics. By the way, I don't think you could pay me enough to cowboy buffalo (bison). I always thought them old cows were meaner than the bulls. Tell your husband to take care, which I'm sure he's learned to by now!
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    274 times

Quote Originally Posted by RGINN
    Evertime I think I'm gettin the hang of bein a Coloradan, or Coloradite, or whatever the proper term is, I see pics like these and remember where I came from. Think I'll call my dad and see what he's up to today. Great pics. By the way, I don't think you could pay me enough to cowboy buffalo (bison). I always thought them old cows were meaner than the bulls. Tell your husband to take care, which I'm sure he's learned to by now!
    It was a all together different experience for my husband(who was raised around cattle and been horseback most of his life) to learn to work with buffalo. They(buffalo) don't get "handled" but once a year and are so wild, that you have to be extremely careful. The cowboys get to use feedtrucks to "sook" them into the traps, but they also use atv's(4-wheelers) to drive(push) them----and that's a little skill daring sometimes . After getting the buffalo into the holding pens, they use trucks to "push" them down the alleys into the tubs. After the buffalo are in the tubs, they use rattle paddles/hot shots to keep them moving and eventually they are in the squeeze chute where they get their "check-up"--the micro chips in their ears are scanned and this tells how old they are and general information about the animal.
    Here's a couple of pics. from last year of the alleys and pens. The first pic was taken while we were riding in the truck and "shoving" the buffalo into the smaller alleys.
    We'll have more pics this weekend!
    Thanks RGINN for the comments!

~~sandcreek~~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020973.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	342971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020979.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	342972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020969.JPG 
Views:	286 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	342973  

us
    The Lord Has Risen

May 2005
    Cherokee Strip
    Cibola
    93 times

Fantastic would love to do that (In the truck that is) LOL! Can't wait to see Josies shots from this weekend!

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    274 times

Fantastic would love to do that (In the truck that is) LOL! Can't wait to see Josies shots from this weekend!
    Its pretty fun chasing those things with a truck , you've just got to be careful and not push them too much and "over stress" them---they sure don't like to be cornered! and will try to jump(seriously!) over the truck to get away!
    The first couple of years my husband worked here on the Preserve, they would gather the buffalo with 4-wheelers and it really stressed the buffalo out. Its a whole lot easier and less stressful on the buffalo to use the feed truck and "cookies"(cattle cake) to bait them out of the bigger pastures.
    We'll post more pictures as soon as we get them, Mental Granny! and Josie is going to try and take some video, so if she does we'll make one for youtube and post the link.
    ~~sandcreek~~

us
    Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
    85 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Whoa!!! Real life Dances with Wolves. Very cool pics.

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    274 times

Quote Originally Posted by pjroo33
    Whoa!!! Real life Dances with Wolves. Very cool pics.
    Sure enough! We just bought the soundtrack from that movie so Josie could make a DVD slideshow of her buffalo pictures and put that as the background music.
    Thanks so much for the comments, pjroo33! and glad you enjoyed the pics.!!
    kind regards,
    sandcreek

us
    Mar 2009
    379 times

I keep coming back to these pictures, I know what Rginn means, sooo very Oklahoma. The ones where the ground and grass are the same color as the bison are my favorites. I remember when the ATV's arrived. Tom came home just grinning. He said "you ought to see them buffalo boys come flying over a hill on the 4-wheelers" Great pictures.

ng

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links