NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a call last night asking if I would like to participate in a friendly hunt with 6 others, who were going to one of our famous dangerous parks. I said sure! So I met them all at 10 am at the park. I only got 1 wheat and a few clad, a copper belt buckle and some odds and ends. As I was heading to my truck to get a bottle of water, I saw everyone looking up, I said, " what's going on"? They all were looking at this beautiful hawk, he wasn't scared of any of us, and actually stuck around for the photo shoot. I don't know what kind it is, but I figured all y'all T-Netters would tell me..........NGE

Attachments

• when i grow up  i want to be an eagle.jpg
    when i grow up i want to be an eagle.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 545
  • shadowy sentinel.jpg
    shadowy sentinel.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 563
    55.6 KB · Views: 567
  • are you talkin to me.jpg
    are you talkin to me.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 553
  • ham hawk.jpg
    ham hawk.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 557
  • heres lookin atcha.jpg
    heres lookin atcha.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 557
  • hunter being watched.jpg
    hunter being watched.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 543
  • hunter watching hunters.jpg
    hunter watching hunters.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 541
  • more being watched.jpg
    more being watched.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 536
    55.6 KB · Views: 534

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great pics :icon_thumleft:

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics Larry,looks like it could be a Red Tail.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well whatever he is, it looked like a penguin up there, it was HUGE, much bigger than a crow. I looked up "cooper's hawk" and it said they are about the size of a crow, and the "sharp shinned" hawk was only about 12" tall. This thing was more like 24" tall. His tail did not come to a point, it was more like someone took a pair of manual hedge trimmers and cut his tail feathers str8 across. The pics I saw of a cooper's hawk, look like this guy in color and markings. So now I am totally confused :dontknow: :icon_scratch:. There are a lot of pigeons in the area where he lives and squirrels too.........NGE

Degries

Greenie
Mar 17, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll & X-Terra 70, White's XLT, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Great pictures Larry. Tuesday when I was out there hunting by myself there was a hawk on the ground tearing up dinner. He was there for about an hour. After he flew off I when over and took a look, what ever he was eatting it was all gone. At the end of the day one flew in over the diving boards and landed in a near by tree.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Doug, sorekneesdayton told me it was a "Cooper's " hawk and that they have a lot of them in his neighborhood in Beavercreek Ohio...........NGE

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Coopers have fine rusty banding on their breast, a long narrow tail, and present a much slimmer profile. This guy's got the heavy belly band, the mottled white "v" on his back, and the tail banding of a young Redtail. First year. Next year, he'll have that beautiful red tail. He's also one of the bulkiest of the Buteos. Sorry, raptors are a passion of mine :dontknow: :hello:

ng

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
no problem ng, I learn something new every day. Thank you for the info. Now, if you have a question about freshwater fish.........I may be able to help you there..........NGE

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I do! I do! I have a question about gar. Are you very familiar with them? Do you know if they have different shaped scales on them, or just the somewhat diamond shape? I found a gar scale, I think, but it's shaped like an arrowhead somewhat. Need to find gar fishermen. Have you fished for them much?

ng

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I don't fish for those garbage critters, but I do occaisionally hook one, or shoot one with my bow. I have never scaled one, so I don't know what to tell ya. Try googling gar scales and see what they come up with. BTW, here in Michigan we have alligator gars 'aka' needle nose. I know in Tenn. they have blunt noses like our Northern pike.........NGE

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larry beautiful Hawk pic!

NG the gars out at Kaw I don't know about the scales, I had a friend accidentally snagged one in the tail took a little over 45 min. for him to get to shore, that's when we saw what had and he left it some guys came buy and said it would make some great steaks so he let them have it!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures of the hawk. The Gars in the Tennessee river get very large. You never know what you are swimming with :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread