When the leaves fall, you begin to notice what was hiding within them...

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 100_3810.JPG
    100_3810.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 503

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a yellow jacket nest, Yankee?

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a 'Hornet nest' RGN, yellow jackets nest in the ground around these parts, I've been stung by everything but a Hornet, so far the 'bumble bee' hurt the worst. >:(

Fossis...............

it's a 'Hornet nest

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's a Hornet's nest.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
fossis said:
It's a 'Hornet nest' RGN, yellow jackets nest in the ground around these parts, I've been stung by everything but a Hornet, so far the 'bumble bee' hurt the worst. >:(

Fossis...............

it's a 'Hornet nest

Same way up here Fossis although I have never found a hornet nest in any of our trees I have found those yellow jacket and bumble bee nests underground. I ran over one (bumble bee nest) with a riding mower and got nailed in the leg pretty good, they definitely hurt worse than a wasp.

Nice pic Diggin, thanks for sharing,

HH Charlie

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty of a hornet's nest. I see $$. Around here I've seen em as high as $75.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
That's a beauty of a hornet's nest. I see $$. Around here I've seen em as high as $75.

:wink: RR

Wow! But I'm not going near it no way!

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never knew there was money in them. I have been stung by a ton of yellow jackets and one bumble bee.The Bumble Bee did'nt bother me but a couple of those yellowjacket stings was darn painfull.

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
savant365 said:
fossis said:

Fossis...............

it's a 'Hornet nest

Same way up here Fossis although I have never found a hornet nest in any of our trees I have found those yellow jacket and bumble bee nests underground. I ran over one (bumble bee nest) with a riding mower and got nailed in the leg pretty good, they definitely hurt worse than a wasp.

Nice pic Diggin, thanks for sharing,

HH Charlie

I had that happen to me one time. I was cutting the grass, not really paying attention to anything and suddenly my leg was on fire. I looked down and there was a bunch of yellow jackets on my leg and then I noticed them in the air. I bailed off the lawnmower about that time and the lawnmower and most of the wasps went off into the woods cutting saplings and eventually stalled halfway up a rather large log. Unfortunately, some of them suckers got in my overalls and was having a field day on my back. My wife thought I had lost my marbles when I went inside screaming and hollering. 4 of them flew out of my clothes when I started stripping in the kitchen. Stung 12 times. Hate yellow jackets.

capt.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
no amount of Epi-pen shots would have saved me with that many stings, I would have suffocated after 3 stings let alone dozens :'(.........NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
yes it is and I have become very adept at seeing them flying in and out of the ground or in a tree long before I even get to that area, out the corner of my eyes. Also, people that I was out hunting with the other day, told me that I really didn't want to hunt around the backside of the tree they were coming from. He said it was like a major airport with yellow jackets landing and taking off every 2 seconds.....NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread