vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
art with 'conviction'

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Last night I MC'd a prisoner art auction. BigHouse art, JailHouse Art or Outsider Art (or really, should it be "insider" art?).

Part of the proceeds fund a camp for the prisoners' children.

Thanks to the compassionate people at Companions on the Journey for a beautiful evening!

I own a couple of the pieces pictured ;D

Attachments

• DSCF0112.JPG
    DSCF0112.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCF0111.JPG
    DSCF0111.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCF0115.JPG
    DSCF0115.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCF0117.JPG
    DSCF0117.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCF0114.JPG
    DSCF0114.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 306

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: art with 'conviction'

tori
the art was created by the prisoners? those pieces are really wonderful.
if they were done by inmates, that just goes to show how people that do
terrible things still have feelings... since i believe art is created by what a
person feels... and not just random stuff.

very nice
k

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

yep Kelly, ALL the art was created by Westville Correctional Facility inmates!

The artist statements were diverse, insightful, a tad bit disturbing yet a *fascinating* read!

Attachments

• DSCF0116.JPG
    DSCF0116.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCF0120.JPG
    DSCF0120.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 303

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

hey vibes, thanks for the art show, I enjoyed it. I couldn't help but take long second looks at them, they are compeling.

naturegirl

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful art, and the $ goes for a great cause! To bad more people could not make a good living from their art then maybe some would not be breaking the law and be in prison. I have seen like these the most beautiful art, and cooks the most delicious food all by prisoners or soon to be, or exconvicits. And alot of good work when they have crews out to build things, they build it right!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I sensed a hopelessness and a waning desire for freedom in the hauntingly beautiful works. Each expressing a desire for freedom. I commend you on your charitable work with the children's camps. I know which one I would have chosen. Which ones did you choose?
Nice post. :icon_sunny:
TnMountains

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

TnMountains said:
I sensed a hopelessness and a waning desire for freedom in the hauntingly beautiful works. Each expressing a desire for freedom. I commend you on your charitable work with the children's camps. I know which one I would have chosen. Which ones did you choose?
Nice post. :icon_sunny:
TnMountains

I bid on several pieces; girl @ piano, flowers in vase, tiger and the B&W of child w/ green eyes.

I was hi bidder on Green eyes and tiger....so those are my 2 pieces:)
GRANNY ELF said:
Beautiful art, and the $ goes for a great cause! To bad more people could not make a good living from their art then maybe some would not be breaking the law and be in prison. I have seen like these the most beautiful art, and cooks the most delicious food all by prisoners or soon to be, or exconvicits. And alot of good work when they have crews out to build things, they build it right!

What I found interesting is when I was reading their art statements as the common theme is that many, when growing up, had no home to go to, or they felt they had no home. As humans\, we all need a support system:)
naturegirl said:
hey vibes, thanks for the art show, I enjoyed it. I couldn't help but take long second looks at them, they are compeling.

naturegirl

naturegirl, I'm glad you enjoyed the show...and you're right, the art IS compelling...there were 90 pieces in the show, and some pieces you could tell the individual has a disturbed soul.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know that photos seldom do justice to artwork, but those are all exceptional pieces. I'm with TnMountains on commending you. 'A camp for the prisoner's children?' I don't know who thought of that, but that's about the coolest thing I've heard of, not to even mention one of the most positive. Good job and God bless everyone involved in that.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

RGINN said:
I know that photos seldom do justice to artwork, but those are all exceptional pieces. I'm with TnMountains on commending you. 'A camp for the prisoner's children?' I don't know who thought of that, but that's about the coolest thing I've heard of, not to even mention one of the most positive. Good job and God bless everyone involved in that.

I think it's a grand idea as well...that was the catalyst for me to get involved, the summer camp.
I was sharing with another T-Net member that I am a HUGE believer of being proactive in MY community!
If a child comes from a home where one or BOTH parents are incarcerated, the odds of them following in their parents footsteps is a whopping 70%!!!!!

Yes, there's a lot of talent..and hope:)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The green eyed child and tiger are nice items. Did it have a short artist profile? I have seen several programs involving prisons from Ministries to job placements. I think the children's camp sounds great. Its a great idea and hope it remains a huge success.
I would like to nominate this for Honorable mention.
Thank you
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread