The Forgotten Forge...and a Fallen Breaker

Fireroad

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2009
N.E. PA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm a new member and enjoy this forum...hoping in Spring to post some finds as I really just got started detecting again. Until then I'll post some pictures of places I enjoy visiting or find interesting. Here are some photos from a work project I am involved in, it's an old coal Colliery in Taylor PA. The first pic is one of the old Boiler House and the second is the Blacksmith's shop. The forge is still there as is the stump for the anvil (darn someone took it!).

I also have included some pics of the breaker, which was demolished years ago and just recently the site was cleaned up as part of PA's land recovery projects. I had to inspect the debris pile for hazardous materials..my role in the project. It was built in 1915 and was the first reinforced concrete breaker..a real giant. It was owned originally by the Taylor Coal Co. and later was called the Moffat Breaker after it changed hands. The last pics are the debris pile left when it was demolished years ago and what it looked like after clean up, including some interesting recoveries of equipment. I was able to keep a clinker ball, which is the size of a baseball. The last photo shows the breaker before it fell.

Probably have to keep the detector on high descrimination here...hope you all enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• Boiler House.jpg
    Boiler House.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 374
  • Boiler House Forge.jpg
    Boiler House Forge.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 330
  • Debris Pile.jpg
    Debris Pile.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 309
  • Sorted Debris Pile.jpg
    Sorted Debris Pile.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 326
  • Recoveries 1.jpg
    Recoveries 1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 301
  • Recoveries 2.jpg
    Recoveries 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 341
  • Recoveries 3.jpg
    Recoveries 3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Breaker.jpg
    Breaker.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 379
S

seger98

Re: The Forgotten Forge...and a real Fallen Giant

Neat photos & welcome to T-net. Some of that machinery a guy wouldn't want to fall into. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread