jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet... the ocean is just a half mile to my left. I even pulled my lunch up on my rope and ate up there. To much work to go up and down.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a tree!

No way would you find me up there, don't like heights.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a 'former logger' myself, I know it is a dangerous job, but someone has to do it. :thumbsup:

Fossis...........

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Nice pics. I did that work too for over 8 years with the local power company. Line clearance journeyman
they called it here. Not too many 100 footers left around here, but I've been up in a few. Once you're up
there & tied off, the height ain't so bad, it's roping off the overhanging limbs above some serious voltage
& trusting the guys running the ropes. It's hard work, be careful & safe. Best wishes.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tubecity said:
Nice pics. I did that work too for over 8 years with the local power company. Line clearance journeyman
they called it here. Not too many 100 footers left around here, but I've been up in a few. Once you're up
there & tied off, the height ain't so bad, it's roping off the overhanging limbs above some serious voltage
& trusting the guys running the ropes. It's hard work, be careful & safe. Best wishes.
Yes, journeyman line clearance tree trimmer.Local 125. I am the foreman on this crew, have been doing this now for over 14 years.
Thanks for looking.

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
YIKES. Heights don't scare me at all, but chainsaws weird me out. Never ran one enough to get comfortable enough with it that I could be sure I wouldn't accidently cut my leg or my face off. Looks like you were using a chain saw a lot on those trees. I bet they made quite a thunk when they finally hit the ground.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
you've got some balls getting up that high !!
When your up there you are so into your work and making sure you don't hit the wires (power lines )that you really don't notice how high you are.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple others that I did some time ago.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 302
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 305

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
The ones I never liked were those leaners or the ones on steep hillsides. On one side of the tree, you
might be 50 or 60 feet off the ground & on the other when you're 'out on a limb', it can be well over
100 feet. The tops of poles look like looking down at the top of a beer bottle. And the higher up you
can tie off , the better. At least if you slip, you just go crashing back into the tree, hopefully, feet first.
I served my apprenticeship & got my papers thru the IBEW Local 1919 here in the Pitts. area. There is
still a lot I miss about that kind of work, but spiking up those ice covered monsters isn't one of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread