Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Smoke Tornado & A Controlled Burn

These are pictures of a controlled burn taken on the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve today. The big Bluestem grass went up really fast even though we've had a wet winter! Lots of smoke! After the fire burned down, the winds and heat of the fire whipped up a smoke tornado! These things are so cool looking and get really big!!
First pic. is of the Director of the Preserve, Bob Hamilton, lighting the fire. There are two fire "lighters" that ride 4-wheelers(ATV's).
Second pic is of my husband in his spray rig--its a Military 5 ton that is equiped with three water tanks(1,800 gallons). He uses the water to make a fire break, this helps controll where the fire burns. The Preserve has three of these rigs and they are all self contained---meaning one man can run each rig---and they can spray a lot of water!! These rigs are also used to put out wildfires that break out during the really dry seasons.
Last pics are of the "smoke tornado".
Thanks for looking!
sandcreek

Attachments

• IMG_4665.JPG
    IMG_4665.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_4658.JPG
    IMG_4658.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_4698.JPG
    IMG_4698.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_4742.JPG
    IMG_4742.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 464

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A Smoke Tornado & A Controlled Burn

That is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time. I have a field that I am supposed to burn off but have been kind of avoiding it after that last little fire we set :laughing7:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TnMountains said:
That is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time. I have a field that I am supposed to burn off but have been kind of avoiding it after that last little fire we set :laughing7:
Just how little was that "last little fire" you set, TnMtns?? ;D You need a set up like these guys have and then you wouldn't have to worry about "little fires" ::) :laughing9:. I'm amazed sometimes how much water these fire rigs can spray and it only takes about 5 to 10 minutes to refill the water tanks. Its a lot of fun to watch these controlled burns--we even took some video of those smoke tornados and are thinking about uploading it to youtube.
Now, after a good rain on this burn, we'll start doing some shed hunting. The deer sheds look really cool after they've gone through the fire.
Thanks for the comments :hello:.....
sandcreek

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for sharing, the smoke whirlwinds can really get big sometimes.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fossis said:
Thanks for sharing, the smoke whirlwinds can really get big sometimes.

Fossis.............
Thanks Fossis--yeah, those smoke whirlwinds do get really big....we watched about three or four come over the hill ....one of them kept getting bigger as it came down the hill and then it hit the gravel road and just spun out and faded away.
Thanks for the comments~~~~
sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
Woah,

That's crazy cool :icon_thumleft:
Thanks 4-H :hello: ! It was kinda crazy how those things kept forming and coming over the hill, each one getting bigger every time. I guess all that heat from the fire & the winds were just perfect to form these things, because one would die out and another would start up again.
sandcreek~~
naturegirl said:
Now THAT 'nader is cool. :wink:
Yeah, those kind of tornados don't scare me, Naturegirl. (I don't like the others we tend to have around these parts in the Spring, though :icon_pale: .)
Thanks for the comments :wave: .
sandcreek

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

Way cool sandcreek! I love dust devils (or smoke devils) and anytime I see one a always wish I had my camera. Great shots and thanks for sharing.

TG

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Texasgopher said:
Way cool sandcreek! I love dust devils (or smoke devils) and anytime I see one a always wish I had my camera. Great shots and thanks for sharing.

TG
We don't see a whole lot of dust devils around here unless its a dry year---After a fire though, they usually form---we've even seen some in the flames(a fire tornado is a really wild thing too see!).
Thanks TG! :hello:
sandcreek~~

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TAKODA said:
Good shots . :headbang:
Thanks TAKODA :hello:
sandcreek~~

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon

Hey SC, I noticed that Big Smoke the other day, figured that's where it might be happening. "Tis the season". The Smokenado pics are really neat. Thanks for an upclose perspective...

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

buckshot said:
Hey SC, I noticed that Big Smoke the other day, figured that's where it might be happening. "Tis the season". The Smokenado pics are really neat. Thanks for an upclose perspective...
Hi Buckshot! Yes, its burning season---and I'm so glad cause this is a sign of Spring for us :hello2:.
After the rain we're supposed to get this week, that green grass should really start popping up!
Thanks for the comments!
sandcreek~~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions