The bird of prey makes sense :-\

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey SS,

As long as they are only starlings, who cares? Here in the states, European Starlings as well as English Sparrows are two introduced (long ago) species that are considered vermin and it is legal to destroy them, their nests and young.
I certainly do not condone the destruction of any song birds, but them dang old sparrows are constantly fighting the Purple Martins for space in the martin house out in my front yard.
The starlings at least seem semi intelligent. I have heard them imitating what we refer to as a "wolf whistle". If you are unfamiliar with that, it is the whistle guys might do when a "comely wench" passes a construction site. :wink:
It may be of interest, that with all our "greenies" touting wind energy here, the big turbines mounted way up in the sky, are responsible for MANY species deaths, as they migrate across the country. >:(
I really enjoy your posts on your many and varied finds you all make regularly.

BW

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bravowhiskey said:
Hey SS,

As long as they are only starlings, who cares? Here in the states, European Starlings as well as English Sparrows are two introduced (long ago) species that are considered vermin and it is legal to destroy them, their nests and young.
I certainly do not condone the destruction of any song birds, but them dang old sparrows are constantly fighting the Purple Martins for space in the martin house out in my front yard.
The starlings at least seem semi intelligent. I have heard them imitating what we refer to as a "wolf whistle". If you are unfamiliar with that, it is the whistle guys might do when a "comely wench" passes a construction site. :wink:
It may be of interest, that with all our "greenies" touting wind energy here, the big turbines mounted way up in the sky, are responsible for MANY species deaths, as they migrate across the country. >:(
I really enjoy your posts on your many and varied finds you all make regularly.

BW
Hi BW..yes I was aware of the Starlings ability for mimiking, when I used to fish for Carp, we used electronic bite indicaters, sometimes early on a morning the blackbirds would imitate them :laughing9: which would have us running out of our bivvies to find nothing had happened :laughing9:

We have the same problem with introduced species, the American Grey Squirel have almost routed out our native Red :'(

SS

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
its odd one part says they are falling from the sky and the next part says they hit the ground to avoid a predator. when I was a kid my brother and his friend shot their shotguns into a flock of them till the guns were empty and I swear only 3 birds fell . dang birds must have radar :-\

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
It is funny how critters from different places have trouble fitting in. I have heard that some raccoons introduced for the fur market in Germany are really taking over the place and are not welcomed.

What do you refer to as the "Grey Squirrel"? We also have a "Red" Squirrel, cat squirrel, even a flying squirrel. Maybe some falconers can get their birds on them pesky varmits displacing your native species.

Best,
BW

BW

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Starlings are cousins of the Minor Bird!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bravowhiskey said:
It is funny how critters from different places have trouble fitting in. I have heard that some raccoons introduced for the fur market in Germany are really taking over the place and are not welcomed.

What do you refer to as the "Grey Squirrel"? We also have a "Red" Squirrel, cat squirrel, even a flying squirrel. Maybe some falconers can get their birds on them pesky varmits displacing your native species.

Best,
BW

BW
Cute...but a pest :-\

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/190.shtml

SS

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Silver Searcher said:
bravowhiskey said:

Best,
BW

BW
Cute...but a pest :-\

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/190.shtml

SS

They eat acorns....watch out IP :o :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread