A FREIGHTER RUN AGROUND

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
On Sunday afternoon, I went ovwer to the river to see how bad the ice was in the lake and river. This is what we saw. There
was this freighter coming up the river and into Lake Huron on it's way to a port in Minisota. It was pushing a lot of ice coming up river, but when it got into the lake it was almost solid. The engings got overheated and stalled, The ice coming down through the lake was so solid that it pushed the empty freighter out of the shipping channel and it was soon hung up in the sand. It was there from Sat morning to late Sunday afternoon. It took two tug boats and two US Coast Guard Cutters to free it and get it back into the channel. Sometime Sunday morning the Canadian Coast Guard cutter went up to help. It went on beyond it a ways
and started to turn around so it would be headed in the right direction and the ice packed around it so quickly thet it got syuck
and couldn't move. Finally one of the US cutters went to loosen the ice so it could get moving again. With the strong current
coming down out of the lake, That ice has tons and tons of presure behind it.
#1 is the freighter. You can see one of the tugs working at the bow. See how close it is to the beach.
#2 The US Coast Guard Cutters coming to help
#3The Canadian Cuter stuck in the ice.
#4, #5, &#6 shows more of the ice at the mouth of the river.

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 467
OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
I couldn't quite make out the letters. I did see the name once on a quick news bulitin but didn't write it down and don't
know what it was. I don't think it was either one of the ones tou mentioned. But I think you can find out yet if you google
Boatnerd.com. they keep records of shipping on the river by here.
I hope you find out what you want to know.
Ray

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Spooky I believe it was the Bramble and The Hollihock
Ray

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Great pictures and info Ray.

Hope that ice gets out of the frieighters way soon, sure mucks up shipping.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW, still alot of ice. I figured with the warm weather it would be gone by now. But I guess I don't know much about the great lake ice cover in the winter either ??? When does all of the ice go away up there ???

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Thanks Mike.

crazyjarhead, That ice is still covering a huge share of the lake. I think it will probably be at least another week
or more before it is gone. There is a lot of force behind it but it is quite a bottleneck right at the mouth of the river
and our temps have only been in the 30's and 40's for several days now and in the 20's at night. That does not help the
ice situation much. Down river the car ferries at both locations have closed down a few times because of ice jams. With
all the ice still out there yet, they are worried about it jambing all the way to the bottom down where the islands are
and cause severe flooding. It's keeping the Coast Guard Cutters busy trying to keep an open pathway.

Thanks for your good reply.

Ray

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
karenray08 said:
Thanks Mike.

crazyjarhead, That ice is still covering a huge share of the lake. I think it will probably be at least another week
or more before it is gone. There is a lot of force behind it but it is quite a bottleneck right at the mouth of the river
and our temps have only been in the 30's and 40's for several days now and in the 20's at night. That does not help the
ice situation much. Down river the car ferries at both locations have closed down a few times because of ice jams. With
all the ice still out there yet, they are worried about it jambing all the way to the bottom down where the islands are
and cause severe flooding. It's keeping the Coast Guard Cutters busy trying to keep an open pathway.

Thanks for your good reply.

Ray

Thanks Ray for a good reply back

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, almost looks like you could walk out to it! Is it aground or just icebound? Monty

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Saturna, thanks for posting this site. It is a good one.

mike, yes, sights like this are kind of unforgetable.

Monty, The freighter ia actually hung up in the sand. It was not an easy job to get it back out in deep water, but
since it was empty it was easier than it would have been had it been loaded.

Thank you to all of you for youe interesting replies and questions.

heve a good day.
Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread