91 KB · Views: 444

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
That's a nice house!

Wouldn't be allowed to do that over here, it would have to be scaffold and cost you twice as much :(

OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
shaun7, I know the cost of this project and can only imagine the cost involved if full scaffolding was required.

Mike, my wife went to stay with her parents for a few days (with our little guy) to avoid the noise, should be able to
get it cleaned up before she gets home.

The house was built in the mid 1920's, trying to keep it as close to original as possible. We did find the original shutters
tucked in the garage rafters (four of those are shown), cleaning/painting those this week. We also discovered that the
side porch hanging light is somewhat rare as its copper with a crackle-glass globe and the coach style lights at the front
entrance are copper as well (summer project will be stripping/polishing those two).

I think this is a Sears type kit home but have yet to find a convincing plan online, found a few that are similar looking on
the outside but the floor plans are way off. We even have the original kitchen cabinets and sink , removed and reinstalled
in the basement, having a difficult time convincing my wife to clean those up and put them back where they belong.

It's not a unique home but it does have a few unique features such as the small roof over the front entrance with the underside
done with tongue-groove in an impressive shape as well as the original porch railings that need only minor repair and fresh paint.

One of my buddies called and wants to detect the yard, not sure if I will allow him to yet as I hope to give it a shot myself when
I'm ready, not trying to be selfish but, hey..you know.. :wink:

Glad you both appreciated the pics. :thumbsup:

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
A little late now , but check the attic now. I think you may have some cleanup to do.
One of the first roofs I did I forgot to cover the stuff in the attic and the gravel got on and in everything. It took me a whole weekend to clean up. Now I condense everything to one spot and tarp it. And then lay other tarps throughout.
Live and learn.

OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
HCW said:
A little late now , but check the attic now. I think you may have some cleanup to do.
One of the first roofs I did I forgot to cover the stuff in the attic and the gravel got on and in everything. It took me a whole weekend to clean up. Now I condense everything to one spot and tarp it. And then lay other tarps throughout.
Live and learn.

Funny you mention this, no work today (rain) but the foreman stopped in asking to see the attic. He was not at all happy with his crew as he
reminded them to cover the (walk-up) attic floor/contents and they forgot. :D

He is not at all happy but reassured me it will be cleaned up, I tried to explain it's no big deal and I could handle the clean-up but he insisted
his guys do it so they don't forget on the next job (sign of a great foreman imho). :wink:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW now thats the kind of boss man you want doing your house. And a very pretty house it is. Would love to see pics of some of the mentioned things up close!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably is a sears kit home. They are very popular and desirable today today. I renovated one not long ago and they found the prints on line. Each one has a name. Your style seems to be dutch colonial and is very similiar to mine built in 1927. Mine was a a copy of one called the Van Jean model but with porches built on each side
House looks good ,much better than any new home you will buy today. The only kicker is the insulation is much better today but you can foam the walls and get a pretty good r-factor.
Looks nice.

Try this link to find your house. A lot of times the would use the kit and add wings and extra rooms.

http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1927-1932.htm

TnMountains

OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
TnMountains said:
Probably is a sears kit home. They are very popular and desirable today today. I renovated one not long ago and they found the prints on line. Each one has a name. Your style seems to be dutch colonial and is very similiar to mine built in 1927. Mine was a a copy of one called the Van Jean model but with porches built on each side
House looks good ,much better than any new home you will buy today. The only kicker is the insulation is much better today but you can foam the walls and get a pretty good r-factor.
Looks nice.

Try this link to find your house. A lot of times the would use the kit and add wings and extra rooms.

http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1927-1932.htm

TnMountains

This floor plan is almost identical to mine, I can almost imagine the couple who built this home, excitedly discussing options/features. (glad they
chose the fireplace). I have been told that kit homes had stamped lumber, might need to take a look. The stairway in ours is slightly different with no closet at the bottom and no turn/additional steps at the top.

Wish the previous owners had not painted the woodwork, especially the fireplace (my Fall project).

http://www.antiquehome.org/House-Plans/1925-Gordon-VanTine/Fillmore.htm

EDIT: Here's the "built-in phone cabinet" as mentioned in the homes description.

Attachments

• IMG_4909.JPG
    IMG_4909.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 350
OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Re: Keeping the roofers busy. Six days later...

It's never a good thing when your contractor calls saying "I got some bad news for you..." . Turns out the roof has been leaking for many years and the previous owners quick-fixes are haunting me. Sixteen feet of sill rotted away meaning >>>>> $$$$<<<<<.

I spent an hour moving/updating the attic wiring (knob 'n tube) since it ran across the rafters that are being replaced, added an outlet just in case.

Best to get done right this time around so I don't have it haunting me (or the next owner) later. A sad part to all this is all the other repairs should have been done days ago but the foreman had trouble keeping the crew motivated, two were fired Friday (these guys had their friends/girlfriends stopping in all week, guess he got fed-up).

This morning the guys crew is all "elbows 'n a$$holes". :wink:

(Side-note: Hunters minor surgery (adenoids) went well Thursday :thumbsup: )

Attachments

• IMG_4917.JPG
    IMG_4917.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_4919.JPG
    IMG_4919.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4922.JPG
    IMG_4922.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 269
OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Finally told the roofers "enough", they started on the 5th and I stopped them on the 21st with some minor detail (paint touch-up, trim etc) to button up that I'll finish myself. I can understand a few minor delays but having the guys coming by after working all day at other jobs, Sundays etc got old.

Anyways, the almost finished roof. :wink:

(We are happy with the work that was done, had them repaint the flashing twice (they put up the wrong color and painted it wrong), had them replace the shingles that were over-sprayed and a few other minor issues)

Attachments

• IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_4987.JPG
    IMG_4987.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_4948.JPG
    IMG_4948.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_4992.JPG
    IMG_4992.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 173

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
looks like rockwool make sure they clean it up good.not good to inhale.if he's your friend and your a friend you better let him detect.thats whats wrong with the hobbies,should i call it greed?i dont wanna be rude what should i call it?if he gets rich off what he finds i'm sure he'll share.if he dont kill him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread