Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a really neat old barn that's soon to be torn down. The land owner has decided to clean up the property and will probably burn the barn down(and the old house that's next to it) , in a couple of weeks. We got to go look around the barn/house and I detected the front yard of the house last weekend. Didn't find much---just a couple of newer dimes/pennies(1970's). I'd like to go back and do some more detecting, but I may wait until they clean everything up. Its so overgrown in the backyard of the house and the ticks were horrible! There's also an old railroad boxcar and a chicken house(coop) that looks promising to detect around! Lots of other out-buildings, too.
Here's some pictures----Can anyone tell me by looking at the barn approx. how old it might be? We think maybe the early 1900's?
Thanks for looking!
sandcreek

Attachments

• IMG_5645 (2) (650x447).jpg
    IMG_5645 (2) (650x447).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_5631 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_5631 (650x433).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_5285 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_5285 (650x433).jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_5638 (650x447).jpg
    IMG_5638 (650x447).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 545

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell you how old, Sandcreek, but it's pre-WWII. You can see how much lumber they used, and lumber wasn't available during wars. It's probably from around 1920 or so. Could also be in the 30's. Talk to folks and you'll find out for sure.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Can't tell you how old, Sandcreek, but it's pre-WWII. You can see how much lumber they used, and lumber wasn't available during wars. It's probably from around 1920 or so. Could also be in the 30's. Talk to folks and you'll find out for sure.
Hey, thanks RGINN! :hello: We kinda thought it was early 1900's. There sure is a lot of lumber in that barn and the inside of the barn is in pretty good shape. Its a beautiful place but the people that owned it sure let the old house run down. Its got a big ol' hay meadow south of the house and 3 ponds within walking distance of the house. Nothing was biting the other day when we were there, though :D . We'll be going back and do some more detecting after they clean the place up.

sandcreek~~

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! doesn't the owner know that he could make a ton of money by dismantling the barn and selling the wood to crafter's? Good Luck in future hunts there.........NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I based my question on the fact that sandcreek said the farmer will probably burn the barn down................NGE

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are thousands of board feet of good lumber in the interior of that old barn. Would be a waste to burn it. I agree, it would be worth a lot of $$$! Monty

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nowgittineverything said:
Wow! doesn't the owner know that he could make a ton of money by dismantling the barn and selling the wood to crafter's? Good Luck in future hunts there.........NGE
4-H said:
Are you kidding me? Of course he does.
I based my question on the fact that sandcreek said the farmer will probably burn the barn down................NGE
Monty said:
There are thousands of board feet of good lumber in the interior of that old barn. Would be a waste to burn it. I agree, it would be worth a lot of $$$! Monty
Hey NGE, 4-H and Monty--You know I think this guy that owns the place just wants to get it cleaned up and hasn't thought about just tearing the barn down for the wood :dontknow: . I might mention it to him. I hate to see such a neat landmark burned to the ground. Once it gets cleaned up around there, though, I'll be able to really do some detecting :thumbsup: !!
Thanks for the comments, guys!
sandcreek~~

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Sandcreek, please do mention to the owner as burning that barn would be a shame. The old wood is highly sought after as the trees it was milled from were typically much higher quality than anything you can get today. One of my friends in Oregon removes old barns part time as his dad has a high end woodworking shop. Please save the wood, it is a true treasure.
D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwace said:
Sandcreek, please do mention to the owner as burning that barn would be a shame. The old wood is highly sought after as the trees it was milled from were typically much higher quality than anything you can get today. One of my friends in Oregon removes old barns part time as his dad has a high end woodworking shop. Please save the wood, it is a true treasure.
D

I agree with saving the wood, barn board frames are very expensive. Yep, there's $$$ in that wood. Possibility the tin too.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
wwace said:
D

I agree with saving the wood, barn board frames are very expensive. Yep, there's $$$ in that wood. Possibility the tin too.

:wink: RR
Yes, there's countless possibilities for old wood. My husband said he'd like to have some of the wood for his gooseneck trailer because it needs a new floor in it. We'll see what the land owner decides to do with it.
At least we have some neat pictures of it.
Thanks RR and wwace!
sandcreek~~

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I bet brand new that was a fabouls barn ! The lumber in it would be great! Hope he will do something with it instead of just burn it. I got logs here someone is going to haul off later in the week i don't have wood burner.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
Man I bet brand new that was a fabouls barn ! The lumber in it would be great! Hope he will do something with it instead of just burn it. I got logs here someone is going to haul off later in the week i don't have wood burner.
Hi Evy :hello: --Yes, I bet this old barn was top of the line when it was built. It has a whole bunch of stalls and tack rooms, not to mention that big hayloft. If the land owner decides to burn it down, it will sure be a big loss :( . I'd like to have some of the wood to use as picture frames for some of Josie's buffalo pictures. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess.
Carmon~~

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well all you can do is ask him the worse he can do is say no. But, even if he doesn't want to fool with it I would still ask about some for frames and then maybe some singed wood also for frames.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, it would be a shame to just burn it, but if he just wants it gone, that'll probably happen. I love those old barns, got to play in one as a kid before it fell down. wonder if there is such a thing as a "barn salvager"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread