Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    White's Prizm III and Ace 250
    187 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Old Barn--soon to be torn down

This is a really neat old barn that's soon to be torn down. The land owner has decided to clean up the property and will probably burn the barn down(and the old house that's next to it) , in a couple of weeks. We got to go look around the barn/house and I detected the front yard of the house last weekend. Didn't find much---just a couple of newer dimes/pennies(1970's). I'd like to go back and do some more detecting, but I may wait until they clean everything up. Its so overgrown in the backyard of the house and the ticks were horrible! There's also an old railroad boxcar and a chicken house(coop) that looks promising to detect around! Lots of other out-buildings, too.
    Here's some pictures----Can anyone tell me by looking at the barn approx. how old it might be? We think maybe the early 1900's?
    Thanks for looking!
    sandcreek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5645 (2) (650x447).jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	398900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5631 (650x433).jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	398901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5285 (650x433).jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	398902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5638 (650x447).jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	398903  
    "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name". Isaiah 45:3

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster
    1223 times

Re: Old Barn--soon to be torn down

Can't tell you how old, Sandcreek, but it's pre-WWII. You can see how much lumber they used, and lumber wasn't available during wars. It's probably from around 1920 or so. Could also be in the 30's. Talk to folks and you'll find out for sure.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    187 times

Quote Originally Posted by RGINN
    Can't tell you how old, Sandcreek, but it's pre-WWII. You can see how much lumber they used, and lumber wasn't available during wars. It's probably from around 1920 or so. Could also be in the 30's. Talk to folks and you'll find out for sure.
    Hey, thanks RGINN! We kinda thought it was early 1900's. There sure is a lot of lumber in that barn and the inside of the barn is in pretty good shape. Its a beautiful place but the people that owned it sure let the old house run down. Its got a big ol' hay meadow south of the house and 3 ponds within walking distance of the house. Nothing was biting the other day when we were there, though . We'll be going back and do some more detecting after they clean the place up.

sandcreek~~
    "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name". Isaiah 45:3

NGE
    us
    May 2008
    S.E. Michigan
    Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
    53 times
    metal detecting, fishing, photography

Wow! doesn't the owner know that he could make a ton of money by dismantling the barn and selling the wood to crafter's? Good Luck in future hunts there.........NGE
    Exposure to the Son prevents burning

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    76 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by nowgittineverything
    Wow! doesn't the owner know that he could make a ton of money by dismantling the barn and selling the wood to crafter's? Good Luck in future hunts there.........NGE
    Are you kidding me? Of course he does.

NGE
    us
    May 2008
    S.E. Michigan
    Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
    53 times
    metal detecting, fishing, photography

I based my question on the fact that sandcreek said the farmer will probably burn the barn down................NGE
    Exposure to the Son prevents burning

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    75 times
    Banner Finds (1)

There are thousands of board feet of good lumber in the interior of that old barn. Would be a waste to burn it. I agree, it would be worth a lot of $$$! Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    187 times

Quote Originally Posted by 4-H
    Are you kidding me? Of course he does.
    I based my question on the fact that sandcreek said the farmer will probably burn the barn down................NGE
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty
    There are thousands of board feet of good lumber in the interior of that old barn. Would be a waste to burn it. I agree, it would be worth a lot of $$$! Monty
    Hey NGE, 4-H and Monty--You know I think this guy that owns the place just wants to get it cleaned up and hasn't thought about just tearing the barn down for the wood . I might mention it to him. I hate to see such a neat landmark burned to the ground. Once it gets cleaned up around there, though, I'll be able to really do some detecting !!
    Thanks for the comments, guys!
    sandcreek~~

us
    Jan 2006
    Anchorage AK
    Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro

Sandcreek, please do mention to the owner as burning that barn would be a shame. The old wood is highly sought after as the trees it was milled from were typically much higher quality than anything you can get today. One of my friends in Oregon removes old barns part time as his dad has a high end woodworking shop. Please save the wood, it is a true treasure.
    D

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    1330 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by wwace
    Sandcreek, please do mention to the owner as burning that barn would be a shame. The old wood is highly sought after as the trees it was milled from were typically much higher quality than anything you can get today. One of my friends in Oregon removes old barns part time as his dad has a high end woodworking shop. Please save the wood, it is a true treasure.
    D
    I agree with saving the wood, barn board frames are very expensive. Yep, there's $$$ in that wood. Possibility the tin too.

RR

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    187 times

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by wwace
    D
    I agree with saving the wood, barn board frames are very expensive. Yep, there's $$$ in that wood. Possibility the tin too.

RR
    Yes, there's countless possibilities for old wood. My husband said he'd like to have some of the wood for his gooseneck trailer because it needs a new floor in it. We'll see what the land owner decides to do with it.
    At least we have some neat pictures of it.
    Thanks RR and wwace!
    sandcreek~~

Charter Member
    us
    The Lord Has Risen

May 2005
    Cherokee Strip
    Cibola
    75 times

Man I bet brand new that was a fabouls barn ! The lumber in it would be great! Hope he will do something with it instead of just burn it. I got logs here someone is going to haul off later in the week i don't have wood burner.
    This is the day the Lord hath made we shall rejoice and be glad in it!

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    187 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mental Granny
    Man I bet brand new that was a fabouls barn ! The lumber in it would be great! Hope he will do something with it instead of just burn it. I got logs here someone is going to haul off later in the week i don't have wood burner.
    Hi Evy --Yes, I bet this old barn was top of the line when it was built. It has a whole bunch of stalls and tack rooms, not to mention that big hayloft. If the land owner decides to burn it down, it will sure be a big loss . I'd like to have some of the wood to use as picture frames for some of Josie's buffalo pictures. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess.
    Carmon~~

Charter Member
    us
    The Lord Has Risen

May 2005
    Cherokee Strip
    Cibola
    75 times

Well all you can do is ask him the worse he can do is say no. But, even if he doesn't want to fool with it I would still ask about some for frames and then maybe some singed wood also for frames.
    This is the day the Lord hath made we shall rejoice and be glad in it!

us
    Mar 2009
    193 times

Yeah, it would be a shame to just burn it, but if he just wants it gone, that'll probably happen. I love those old barns, got to play in one as a kid before it fell down. wonder if there is such a thing as a "barn salvager"?

Sponsors