Cool pictures of Custer's grave.
I had no idea where is was buried at.
Learn something everyday.

ChrisP

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Re: George Custer's grave.

Take our your detector there and you'll be buried alongside him :-)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very good, earthworks. He was buried at the fight scene for awhile, but moved and reinterred in 1877. Most of the officers were. Well, as near as they could tell which were officers, anyway. I studied Custer a lot. He was villified and still is, but he was just a focal point for the policies of the government. He was a soldier and did his job. If I worked for him, I would probably refer to him as a hard ass and not like him much. His body was found stripped but in an unmutilated condition. There is some conjecture this is not the way it was, but was presented that way out of respect for his widow, Libby. We have no way of knowing now, short of an autopsy, which ain't gonna happen. There is a saying among my northern cousins that the Cheyennes did the fighting, the Sioux got the glory, and the Crow got the land. It was an outstanding coup for the northern tribes in this nation's centennial year, but in the end it sealed their fate. Sorry, I'm becoming a history prof. Good pics, and thanks for the enlightenment. Read 'My Lie, (sorry)Life on the Plains' and anything by Walter Kamp.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Great info Rginn! I wanted to say something about how Native Americans might feel about the artwork on his tomb, but I didn't because there is so much more to history-always- than can be summed up in a few words. I know he's a hero to some, a villian to others. That's the way it is. Go ahead and be a history person, always dig for the truth. I think America is strong enough for that :wink:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey General Custer, I don't wanna go! (old song)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread