Did a little digging today, but without a detector

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
and found these:

All photos are of Tuber gibbosum, also known as Oregon White truffle. First found in 1878 in California near San Francisco, not described until 1898 by Dr. Harkness; now known to be species specific (associated only) with Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii).

These were uncovered with a potato rake at a tree farm near Oregon City, Oregon. Found several ounces, if not half a pound. Mostly mature, with transluscent chocolate brown interiors.

Truffles contain pheromones, which are also chemical sex-attractants. While you cannot smell pheromones, you react to them subconciously. An animal which digs and eats a truffles has this aroma concentrated in their salivary glands. For 3 days after consumption, everything eaten will taste/smell of truffles. In the case of Tuber gibbosum, the taste/smell is similar to a combination of dried morels (which are closely related to truffles), cheddar cheese, fresh-roasted hazelnuts, and garlic. (Usually I don't smell the garlic, but others insist it is there.

Attachments

• Tuber gibbosum1.JPG
    Tuber gibbosum1.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 798
  • Tuber gibbosum1a.JPG
    Tuber gibbosum1a.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 813
  • Tuber gibbosum1b.JPG
    Tuber gibbosum1b.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 770
OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Truffles are not for everyone. Just as well. More for me! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Just one of the ways to use: wash, slice thin, dry, add to cookies. YUM!

BTW, Italian White truffles are selling for over $1,500/lb.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Felinepeachy said:
I was not aware of that. :thumbsup:
Like I said, truffles aren't for everyone. ::) ::)

Posted this as a heads-up for Tnet readers: there are at least 50 Tuber species currently known in the United States. Just gotta know where to look.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Tuberale,

Thanks for posting these pics. I live in N. Cali, and several years ago found what I was sure was a truffle while out hunting for King Boletus. Mine was a dusky brown color, but had the mazelike interior that I've seen in photos of cut truffles.

I thought that they only grew in Europe and did not take it home with me (there are old mushroom hunters, and there are bold mushroom hunters.....).

MP

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any poisonous truffles to get them confused with? How do you prepare them for eating? At first I thought you were showing us some kind of quartz rock or something. Never saw a truffle before.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
mountainplayer said:
Tuberale,

Thanks for posting these pics. I live in N. Cali, and several years ago found what I was sure was a truffle while out hunting for King Boletus. Mine was a dusky brown color, but had the mazelike interior that I've seen in photos of cut truffles.

I thought that they only grew in Europe and did not take it home with me (there are old mushroom hunters, and there are bold mushroom hunters.....).

MP
Tuber gibbosum was first identified from California. There are no known poisonous Tuber species. Tuber can be identified in hand by looking for external veins (usuallly white or yellow) on the outside of the fungus, and interior veins in the gleba (interior). If you specimen has both, it is a Tuber.

I too thought Tuber species were found only in Europe. My botany professor at Oregon State University was Dr. Helen Gilkey. Dr. Gilkey did her master's thesis on the Tuberales of North America. North America has at least 50 species of known and described Tubers at this time. In all of Europe, there are less than 10 described species that I am aware of.

In addition, it is common to find species new to science in North America. I have one which is named for me: Tuber wheeleri. There are many others still awaiting identification and description in science at this time.

If in doubt, send me a photo of the fungus in question, showing both the outside and sliced inside of the fungi. I will attempt to give you an identification.

Another alternative to is to join the non-profit North American Truffling Society (NATS.org). Dried collections can be identified nearly as easily as fresh material. Collections submitted to NATS are identified free, and are added to herbaria for future reference.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
packerbacker said:
Are there any poisonous truffles to get them confused with? How do you prepare them for eating? At first I thought you were showing us some kind of quartz rock or something. Never saw a truffle before.
According to Dr. James Trappe, professor emeritus of Oregon State University and long-time identification expert for NATS, there are not poisonous Tuber species. There are many, many other hypogeous fungi.

You should never eat any wild mushroom before getting a positive identification!

While most truffles are considered at best when the aroma is strongest, American truffles apparently have evolved differently than most European species. Our truffles need to be eaten by animals to be dispersed (spread). Small animals find a lot of truffles during season. They are known to dig and dry them for later consumption. Rarely these truffle middens are found.

At least 60 species of animals are known to eat truffles in America, based on spores found in their feces.

The name Tuber actually refers to potato, which is also a tuber. Tuber differ from most other hypogeous (underground) fungi by being solid, and by being hard and dense. Some other hypogeous fungi are very light and porous. Edibility of many of these fungi has not been studied, and is not recommended because of that reason. However, one the largest known groups of hypogeous fungi are called Rhizopogon. Rhizopogon have rhizomorphs (root-like structures) on the outside (peridium) and are porous on the inside (gleba). These are like underground Suillus and Boletus mushrooms that have lost the cap and stem, but still retain the tubes which produce spores. Many commonly found Rhizopogon are edible.
All mushrooms are edible once. Even deadly poisonous mushrooms are edible ... once. I like to look for mushrooms that are edible more than once.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
thirty7 said:
Nice finds, have truffels been successfully cultivated? Are they easy to grow?
Some truffles have been cultivated.

I believe I have cultivated several species of native truffles. I have innoculated 9 different locations, and had more production of truffles after innoculation than before. While simplistic, I believe this is cultivation.

If you plant corn where corn has been seen to grow in the past, and it produces corn stalks, did you cultivate it? I think so.

I use truffle spores to innoculate new stands. So in the same way as corn, I look for places which should have truffles. I have declined to innoculate at more places than I have agreed to innoculate.

Truffles are easy for me to grow. Apparently they are not easy for everyone to grow, or the price of truffles would be much lower than it currently is.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Even deadly poisonous mushrooms are edible ... once. I like to look for mushrooms that are edible more than once.

Tuberale....love that comment!!

One of the areas that I hunt King Boletus is loaded with various Amanita species, including the edible (and reportedly delicious) A. Calyptroderma. I have found them twice, and was 99% sure of what I had, but each time left them in the woods. For exactly the reason that you stated. I'm not about to risk my life for one lousy (or even one delicious) meal. Back when my great grandparents were alive, my family used to gather and eat them, but only after everyone dumped their amanitas in a heap in front of great-grandma for positive i.d., did they get the blessing to be divided up.

These days I concentrate on morels and boletus. If I ever run across another suspected truffle, I'll take you up on your generous offer to identify it for me.

MP

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
mountainplayer said:
Even deadly poisonous mushrooms are edible ... once. I like to look for mushrooms that are edible more than once.

Tuberale....love that comment!!

One of the areas that I hunt King Boletus is loaded with various Amanita species, including the edible (and reportedly delicious) A. Calyptroderma. I have found them twice, and was 99% sure of what I had, but each time left them in the woods. For exactly the reason that you stated. I'm not about to risk my life for one lousy (or even one delicious) meal. Back when my great grandparents were alive, my family used to gather and eat them, but only after everyone dumped their amanitas in a heap in front of great-grandma for positive i.d., did they get the blessing to be divided up.

These days I concentrate on morels and boletus. If I ever run across another suspected truffle, I'll take you up on your generous offer to identify it for me.

MP
In other countries of the world, Amanita mushrooms are among the most frequently eaten mushrooms, according to David Arora, author of Mushrooms Demystified.

A. calyptroderma is common in California, and often eaten there. I haven't done any mushroom hunting in CA, so can't really comment on them. But personally, I'd like to have several other opinions on any Amanita. Before I decline to eat them.

The vast majority of fungi are edible. That includes lichens, which are only a combination of algae and fungi. I've eaten probably 60-70 species to date, and grown nearly that many. But unless I found them personally, or witnessed the fungi being found, I tend to not consume most mushrooms. The exception to that rule are the so-called "true" truffles, or Tuber species. While not always a great food source, none of them are currently known to be poisonous when fresh and in good condition.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one fine culinary edible a pigs nose will sniff out and go after in the woods. Only served in the finest retaurants and kitchens. Chefs go nuts when they can get them.
Good for you!! Bon apetite sir.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
TnMountains said:
The one fine culinary edible a pigs nose will sniff out and go after in the woods. Only served in the finest retaurants and kitchens. Chefs go nuts when they can get them.
Good for you!! Bon apetite sir.
You may wish to search for a very large truffle in your area. It is called Imaia gigantea (previously Terfezia gigantea), and is known from the Appalachian Mountains of both Tennessee and North Carolina, but was first found in Japan. It is several inches across usually, associated with pine, hemlock, birch, beech and oak. Said to be tasty in Field Guide to North American Truffles, this is related to morels! Look for it in September and October.

As for pigs: not a native species to the Pacific Northwest. Almost all of our truffles are eaten and dispersed by other animals, including elk, deer, bear, cougar, Northern Spotted owls, California Red-backed voles, squirrels, etc. At least 60 species of animals are currently known to have truffle spores in their scat. Indeed, many truffle spores can apparently not germinate unless eaten by animals. Deer are especially fond of truffles during one or two months of the year, just before going into rut. Since truffles are known to contain pheromones (chemical sex-attractants), truffles can also be considered aphrodisiacs. Among people claiming that to be fact were Brillat-Savin, Napoleon, King Louie XIV, and others.

During a short period between 1910 and 1930, truffles were so common in much of Europe they were consumed like potatoes. Now, only the extremely well-off can afford them fresh. Until being decommissioned, the fabled Concorde and SSTs were the major method of truffle delivery around the world.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I've missed this thread, it's very interesting. Truffels are hard? like a potato? I always thought they were like a mushroom, soft. any in my neck-o-the-woods? We are zone 6, like parts of Oregon.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
naturegirl said:
I've missed this thread, it's very interesting. Truffels are hard? like a potato? I always thought they were like a mushroom, soft. any in my neck-o-the-woods? We are zone 6, like parts of Oregon.
Truffles are hard, solid (usually), and can be brittle.

I can't tell where you're at, naturegirl. But if you're in the United States, there are truffles to be found near you.

Here are some of the more common:

Tuber gibbosum, first found in California near San Francisco, later identified from the entire West Coast, always with Douglas-fir.

Tuber lyonii, previously Tuber texense, probably the most widely dispersed truffle in the United States, but rarely identified (or, apparently, looked for). Reported from mid-Mexico to Quebec, Canada. Associated with many tree species, mostly hardwoods such as hawthorne, hickory, pecan, oak, and basswood.

Tuber shearii, according to Field Guide to North American Truffles, "Transcontinental in southern Canada and the northern United States, but occasionally south to North Carolina, Arizona and California", with pine and Douglas-fir.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Great thread TA,

I'll keep my eyes open when out in the woods... and I'll go to nats.org !

Best
rmptr

...The go-to is natruffling.org .

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks tuberale, I thought I had Oklahoma under my avatar. It looks like tuber lyonii will be what I need to research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread