Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Project "Tonka Toy"

This is my husbands new mud toy---my daughter calls it the "Tonka Toy". Its a Military 2 1/2 ton(Deuce and a half), has a multi-fuel diesel engine. Its been modified a little bit---my husband bought a bobber kit from Boyce Equipment(Ogden, Utah) and removed one of the back axles. He's running 15-5-80-20 military Michelin tires on it.
He's still got some work to do on it---he's got to finish the flatbed and paint it(probably going to paint it orange and black).
It'll sling mug everywhere ;D .
Here's some pics----thanks for looking.
sandcreek~~

Attachments

• IMG_9863 (750x580).jpg
    IMG_9863 (750x580).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,271
  • IMG_9865 (750x500).jpg
    IMG_9865 (750x500).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 547
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Project "Tonka Toy"

thirty7 said:
Nice, that's a heavy duty rig there, kind of looks like a unimog.
Yes, it does kinda look like a unimog. When he removed the back axle, it shortened it up quite a bit. The ranchers around here use the deuce's for fire trucks(brush rigs) and are using the bobbed ones for feed trucks---they get around really good in this rocky terrain we have, not to mention the snow in the winter.
Michaelangelo said:
Oh he's gonna have fun in that thing!! Keep us updated with pics-especially of his adventures.
Yes, he's already had fun with it. It gets around really good in the mud. We'll take pictures along, as he finishes it, and pics of it in the mud.
Thanks Michaelangelo and Thirty7!
sandcreek~~

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

That is just too cool! I go 4 wheelin quite a bit & I bet that thing does it quite well! Tell your hubby he's done a fine job & keep postin updates of his progress & the mud pits he will be brutalizing! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mighty AP said:
That is just too cool! I go 4 wheelin quite a bit & I bet that thing does it quite well! Tell your hubby he's done a fine job & keep postin updates of his progress & the mud pits he will be brutalizing! :icon_thumleft:
We sure will, Mighty AP.....My husband is all about that 4 wheelin stuff(everything we drive has four wheel assist :D ). He knows where every mud hole is around here and how deep it is ;D .
Here's a couple of pictures when he got his 5 ton fire truck stuck this spring. It was REALLY STUCK--they had to get a dozer to pull him out!

Attachments

• SSA51452 (650x488).jpg
    SSA51452 (650x488).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 525
  • SSA51453 (650x488).jpg
    SSA51453 (650x488).jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,164
  • SSA51454 (650x488).jpg
    SSA51454 (650x488).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 558

Squishy

Jul 19, 2009

sandcreek4 said:
This is my husbands new mud toy---my daughter calls it the "Tonka Toy". Its a Military 2 1/2 ton(Deuce and a half), has a multi-fuel diesel engine. Its been modified a little bit---my husband bought a bobber kit from Boyce Equipment(Ogden, Utah) and removed one of the back axles. He's running 15-5-80-20 military Michelin tires on it.
He's still got some work to do on it---he's got to finish the flatbed and paint it(probably going to paint it orange and black).
sandcreek~~

Your husband may be the coolest person I know of! That is AWESOME!!!!!!!

-Mike-

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Squishy said:
sandcreek4 said:
sandcreek~~

Your husband may be the coolest person I know of! That is AWESOME!!!!!!!

-Mike-
Thanks, Mike! I'll tell him you said so. :hello:
DigginThePast said:
Very cool trucks! :thumbsup: 8)
Thanks DigginThePast---my husband is kinda a "gear head" and loves those military trucks.....
sandcreek~

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Make sure that he paints it in Tonka Yellow. :laughing7:

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Paint it anything but orange and black! How about purple and white? You don't understand the conditions till you HAVE to get out when most sane people would stay in :D What kind of gas milage does it get?

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Produce Guy said:
Make sure that he paints it in Tonka Yellow. :laughing7:
naturegirl said:
Paint it anything but orange and black! How about purple and white? You don't understand the conditions till you HAVE to get out when most sane people would stay in :D What kind of gas milage does it get?
Yeah, I'm not so sure I'll like the orange and black combo......But my daughter says that orange and black are OSU colors and she's got more stroke around here than I do ::) , (so it'll probably be orange and black!). Tonka yellow would be kinda purdy, though. I'm probably not going to ride around in that thing much, unless I can't get across the creek to a gravel bar to go arrowhead hunting, then I might consent to riding in it :tongue3: . My husband always wants to crawl over rocks and off big cliffs when he's got me in it---and its a long way to the ground if I want to bail out! :help: :D
Thanks Produce Guy and Naturegirl~~~~Oops, I forgot to answer the mileage question---He hasn't checked the mileage on it yet, but we'll find out and get back to ya, naturegirl.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
Your husband has great taste!

That is cool :icon_thumleft:
Thanks Mike---He's a 4-wheel junkie.....always lookin for a mud hole. When our girls go for a ride in this thing or the jeep, they always come home covered in mud. :laughing7:
:hello:
Carmon~~

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thats a truck! An orange paint job would look great :coffee2:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I drove a many of em. :icon_thumleft:

:wink: RR

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

extractor said:
Thats a truck! An orange paint job would look great :coffee2:
You'll sure be able to see him coming if he paints it orange! The Preserve (where we work) just started their "summer burn" season so it'll probably be awhile before he has time to paint it. We'll post pics as soon as he gets it done. Thanks extractor!
River Rat said:
I drove a many of em. :icon_thumleft:

:wink: RR
So, you were in the Military, huh, River Rat? I would hate to drive one of these things all day long---I tried to drive one and it was like herding an elephant down the road. You have to keep both hands on the wheel, or it'll get away from ya! :D
sandcreek~~

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You should have no problem hauling out the "back strap's" with that toy......Cool piece of machinery :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
You should have no problem hauling out the "back strap's" with that toy......Cool piece of machinery :icon_thumright:
You're so right about that, civilman. This thing will go anywhere you're brave enough to drive! Even the deepest, darkest underbrush where the "muy grande" bucks live :wink: .
Thanks for the comments!!
sandcreek~~

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is too cool. Take it down to Moab sometime. Black and orange would not be a good color combination for historical reasons. I have done some reading, and in medieval times a defeated army, to signal total, utter defeat and submission to the conquering army, would raise an orange and black flag. This flag was embroidered with the letters O, S, and U, which stood for the Latin phrase 'Omnirus Supposus Ubet'. Lexicographers have loosely translated this to mean 'just because we got a team don't mean we can play football'. The conquering army was then allowed to cut the letter 'S' from the flag. (I hope that get's picked up and spread around the misinformation highway)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread