N.A.T7.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 916

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Nice to see these old birds.
Looks like a T6 Texan, made by North American. Widely used trainer. It was used in this
country by the RNZAF and known as the 'Harvard'.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
I've been working at a small airfield in one of the hangars. Last week I turned up in the morning and there was a WW2 Mustang fighter plane on the field in front of the hangar. Turns out it was on it's way to an air show, but the pilot saw smoke and had to land.

On Saturday they moved it into the hangar we are refurbing and stripped the engine out. My camera has broke so I haven't got any pics yet, but after seeing your post I googled Mustang for a picture and got the exact one that's in the hangar :o "Big Beautiful doll". It has 31 swastika's on the side ;D

http://www.military-aircraft.org.uk/ww2-fighter-planes/north-american-p51d-mustang.htm

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one, and nice to see it up close.

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
Love those old planes. My Dad flew an F6F Hellcat off the USS Essex in the Pacific in WWII. Shortly before he passed away I found an outfit that took the planes that he trained in around the country and they were coming to the local airport in Salisbury, N.C. where he lived. I arranged for him to go up in the plane as a surprise for his 80th birthday. It was a two seater and the pilot let my Dad actually take the controls and fly the plane. I will never forget the look on my Dad's face when they landed. Don't think I've ever seen him so excited-just like a kid at Christmas!! I have pictures of him standing with the plane in the same pose as the ones beside his plane on the Essex in the war. Hope my kids will pass these pics down through many generations as an honer to my Pop.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Shaun, the Mustang is an all-time favorite!
Michaelangelo, post the pics of your dad here...let's see 'em

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
I'll try to post the pics but they're photos so not exactly sure how I could do that. Even have all his records and medals and a detailed account of his squadrons escapades written from the time they joined until the end of the war-fascinating reading. Found all this after he passed away. We did have quite a few discussions after a few late night drinks and I was fascinated to hear his take on the war and how boys of that era (18-19 years old) just did what anyone who loved their country would do. To him it was no big thing. He would be very disappointed in what has become of this country he fought so hard to protect (although I think he would still be proud of our military and the brave folks who serve).

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
If they are not glossy photos, you can scan them. If they are glossy, Take a pic with your digital camera (no flash) then resize pics to fit this site. I re-size my pictures to 500X375 mp's. in here all the time............NGE

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
I got some pics of the Mustang today. They're not the best, I took them on a phone.

Attachments

• mustang a.jpg
    mustang a.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 763
  • mustang f.jpg
    mustang f.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 766
  • mustang e.jpg
    mustang e.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 766
  • mustang d.jpg
    mustang d.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 758

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
No wonder it doesn't fly, da motor is gone........................NGE

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
nowgittineverything said:
No wonder it doesn't fly, da motor is gone........................NGE

There's one on it's way!

He has four engines apparently :o

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
PB - Great thread! Hopefully others will post. I've always loved the Warbirds. Your pic looks like a T-6 to me.

Shaun7 - Holy Cow! That is one of my absolute favorites...next is the P-38.

PB-You might be interested to know that there was a B-17 that crashed in June of 1943 between Mt Shasta and Weed on a training flight. Several of the crew lost their lives. The pilot in command survived, only to die two weeks later on a mission to rescue the crew of another downed B-17 somewhere off the CA coast.
I helped a group of great guys search for pieces of the wreckage with identifiable serial numbers so that the crash could be positively identified and listed in a book of downed WWII aircraft. I was using my Ace 250 and found a brass tag off of one of the radio racks with full serial number. It's on display, along with a number of other recovered items, at the local museum. I think I posted pics, but they're probably about 300 pages down in Today's Finds.

MP

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 57 1.JPG
    57 1.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 654
  • 57 2.jpg
    57 2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 664
  • P51.jpg
    P51.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 682

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
Did the mustang in this thread have a Rolls Royce Merlin engine in it?
Thanks..........see ya mark

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
A cheap Merlin is over 100k these days, they only made about 150,000 of them. The 60's hydroplanes used them also, never forget the sound of them on Lake Washington when I was a kid. There are probably a few of them on the bottom of the lake from boats sinking I imagine.

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
Want some more aviation pics?

Here's a junkers 52 at the Dayton ( ohio ) airshow a few years ago...

ry=480.jpg

Thanks for looking........see ya mark

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Not sure what engine it was, but the owner has four and he said they were 300k each :o

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
wwace said:
A cheap Merlin is over 100k these days, they only made about 150,000 of them. The 60's hydroplanes used them also, never forget the sound of them on Lake Washington when I was a kid. There are probably a few of them on the bottom of the lake from boats sinking I imagine.

I imagine you are right. One thing is for sure, you can always tell when you hear a Merlin at an airshow, etc....
Thanks........see ya mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions