Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a quinceanera celebration tonight, which celebrates a girl turning fifteen and basically becoming a young lady and not a kid anymore. Maria and I were listed as padrinos, or god-parents, which means we get called up and all get in a big circle, hold hands, and do a little shuffle dance. No pics of that. It's a good time, lots of food, music, no alcohol, no politics, and another godchild I don't know too well, Alejandra Melendez. Kind of a cute little heifer, though.

Attachments

• 7-30g.jpg
    7-30g.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 386
  • 7-30f.jpg
    7-30f.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 7-30d.jpg
    7-30d.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 387

Squishy

Jul 19, 2009
That is really a fancy ball! What's the story on the young men in military-like uniforms. Looks like it was quite an event!

Thanks!
-Mike-

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Very pretty young lady and it looks like it was a very special night for her and a great excuse for the adults to have a fantastic party!

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Its a Debutante Ball fiesta style:)

How fun! And what beautiful, colorful, shiny dresses and the men look so dapper in the uniforms.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a traditional ceremony that celebrates a girl coming of age, 15. A religious ceremony at the church, then the party afterward. The girl comes in wearing flat soled shoes and her father replaces them with high heels. He has the first dance, then passes her on to her chambelan de honor, which symbolizes him giving up his young daughter to womanhood. The young guys in uniform are her court of honor. It's an old tradition. And being young guys, and being supplied with swords, the court of honor engaged in a hilarious rowdy Zorro inspired swordfight in the vestibule, but they behaved during the ceremony. Families plan these for up to a year and can lay out thousands of dollars. Happy celebrations, religion, getting together with family and friends, lots of good food are very important to an older culture, but more and more nowadays it seems most young girls would rather just have a car.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Beautiful pictures . Wonderful insight into the traditions of a different Christian culture .
Thank you , my friend , for thinking enough of us to share with us .
Jim

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a 'shindig', :thumbsup:, I was bartender of the night at a Mexican 50th wedding Anniversary in Palm Springs Ca several years ago, but they should have chosen someone else. ::)

And I was so sick the next morning I couldn't partake of the 'huge breakfast' they had prepared. :'(

Fossis............

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are wonderful I went to a multi daughter one when I lived there and the families brought a band up from Mexico w/dancers for it. It was a really bif cceremony!

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very nice comments, and I thank y'all. I married into this culture, but it's not really that much different from my people, cause we're all just country people, just different countries. We get invited to all the weddings, baptisms, quinces, and whatever else and to me it's an honor, which it is intended to be. I wish all y'all could come up to whatever next thing goes on, and you would see that it ain't like what you see on the TV. No 'Boycott whatever state' or any political agenda. Just a large time had by all. Fossis. I can't believe you done that. You better hang with me; I'll keep you out of trouble.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Rginn- I like your people pictures as much as your landscape pictures, and I love your insight into human nature :icon_thumleft: These shindigs keep culture alive, and that's more important than the political/media/power/-minded people know. Thanks for sharing this event.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread