fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After weeks of temp's in the high 90's & low 100's, we got a 'cooling rain', so I drove about 30 miles down some Mt roads, I saw two 'fast deer', wild plums, grapes, hickory nuts, sumac seed, red berries, (not sure of these), plus elder-berries, it seems the bears like them very well.
we also have blackberrys around June, plus muscadines in Sept, & paw-paw's in Oct, so the animals have several things to eat when the weather is right.

Fossis..............

Attachments

• Down MT Roads 001.JPG
    Down MT Roads 001.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 370
  • Down MT Roads 003.JPG
    Down MT Roads 003.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 367
  • Down MT Roads 004.JPG
    Down MT Roads 004.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Down MT Roads 007.JPG
    Down MT Roads 007.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 356
  • Down MT Roads 008.JPG
    Down MT Roads 008.JPG
    410.7 KB · Views: 367
  • Down MT Roads 009.JPG
    Down MT Roads 009.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 364
  • Down MT Roads 005.JPG
    Down MT Roads 005.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 375
  • Down MT Roads 006.JPG
    Down MT Roads 006.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 382
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
colorado14ers said:
looks yummy :tongue3:. Nice pix there!!!

All except the 'bear scat'. ::)

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
colorado14ers said:
fossis said:
colorado14ers said:
looks yummy :tongue3:. Nice pix there!!!

All except the 'bear scat'. ::)

Fossis..............

you ever had some? its really good :tongue3: :laughing9:......jk

Not yet, haven't been that hungry, but you never know. :tongue3:

Fossis.............

Okie Hillbillies

Mar 4, 2007
Hello Fossis, that was a good looking drive I haven't got to go any where lately. the weather cooled
down a little this evening mayby if it stays this way we can do a little detecting.

OkieHillBillie

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Muscadine, I'm not sure we have them up here, and paw-paws aren't too common that I know of. I'd like to see both of those. Maybe the red berries are a type of haw? Not sure, but they look familiar. Glad you got to cool down a bit. It seems to be a very heavy-bearing fruit year, all the wild fruit has been loaded. Rain at the right time, and no late freeze I guess. Nice walk!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice country. We used to take those shoemake berries and soak them in water. It was kinda like lemonade, or you could just suck on them. (Only the red ones; the white ones are poison.) Muscadine makes good wine. We didn't do much with hickory nuts, but grandpa and them used to pick a bunch of green black walnuts, put them in a gunny sack, then drag the sack along the ground behind a horse so they got roughed up. They rode down to the creek and threw the sack in and it would stun the fish so they could gather them up. Don't you got persimmon trees, and did you ever try to eat a persimmon before a good killin frost? (everybody's done that I bet)

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okie Hillbillies said:
Hello Fossis, that was a good looking drive I haven't got to go any where lately. the weather cooled
down a little this evening mayby if it stays this way we can do a little detecting.

OkieHillBillie

I'me ready.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Muscadine, I'm not sure we have them up here, and paw-paws aren't too common that I know of. I'd like to see both of those. Maybe the red berries are a type of haw? Not sure, but they look familiar. Glad you got to cool down a bit. It seems to be a very heavy-bearing fruit year, all the wild fruit has been loaded. Rain at the right time, and no late freeze I guess. Nice walk!

I got out today & got a pic of paw-paw's, didn't see any muscadines , but saw eight deer, one posed for me, the others ran. :P

Fossis...........

Attachments

• Blackfork valley 002.JPG
    Blackfork valley 002.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 250
  • Blackfork valley 003.JPG
    Blackfork valley 003.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 237
  • Blackfork valley 005.JPG
    Blackfork valley 005.JPG
    444.1 KB · Views: 239
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Nice country. We used to take those shoemake berries and soak them in water. It was kinda like lemonade, or you could just suck on them. (Only the red ones; the white ones are poison.) Muscadine makes good wine. We didn't do much with hickory nuts, but grandpa and them used to pick a bunch of green black walnuts, put them in a gunny sack, then drag the sack along the ground behind a horse so they got roughed up. They rode down to the creek and threw the sack in and it would stun the fish so they could gather them up. Don't you got persimmon trees, and did you ever try to eat a persimmon before a good killin frost? (everybody's done that I bet)

My Grandmother used to make a drink from the sumac berries, & I made some, just add sugar & tastes just like lemonade, I sampled some good muscadine wine last summer.
I had heard about using black walnet shells that way, never tried it though. :P
We have plenty of persimmon trees, mostly in the flatlands, & we used to pull the 'green-persimmon' trick on our California cousins. :laughing7:

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
traderoftreasure said:
i guess bears do scat in the woods. :hello2:

When you gotta go, 'you gotta go'. ;D

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Wow, those are some great pictures.
Funny, we have the same type of "smooshed" black berry's on the ground like you have! :D :laughing9:

Thanks, they must not digest them very well. :laughing7:

Fossis...........

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
:hello: Hi fossis. Those paw-paw leaves look very distinctive, have you tried the fruit? Hear they taste kinda like banana, so Ive always been curious. My Grandmother remembered eating them. And yep, pulled the persimmon trick on a person or two myself :wink:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
So that's where " Scatman Crother's " got his name. Maybe he used to be fed bear scat when he was growing up?.....NGE

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
:hello: Hi fossis. Those paw-paw leaves look very distinctive, have you tried the fruit? Hear they taste kinda like banana, so Ive always been curious. My Grandmother remembered eating them. And yep, pulled the persimmon trick on a person or two myself :wink:

Yep, i've tried them, but you never seem to want but one, they have quite the aftertaste. :icon_scratch:

Fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
traderoftreasure said:
paw paws taste like bananas only for a few days. they taste like crud all the others

Agreed :thumbsup:

Fossis...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions