Fishing Pole Manufacturing

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son had a den of cub scouts at his house the other evening. He had them cut all the branches off some bamboo chutes and rig them up with line, leaders, hooks and bobbers. He plans on taking them out to the ranch to catch some fish out of one of the ponds, clean them there, cook 'em up and eat them. Some have never been fishing........that's just downright un-American!
He'd like to show them how to shoot a 22 rifle but he may have parent problems so he's passing on that activity.

Attachments

• poles.jpg
    poles.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 319

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Kudos to your son! :thumbsup: He should investigate the parents to see if they would give permission to learn how to handle a firearm.I would suggest a 410 however,since the range is much shorter to begin with.They are the right age to learn gun safety whether they ever own one in the future or not.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your son's doin a good job, packerbacker. I was a Webelos leader in the past, and believe me it takes a special person to keep the attention of all those little rascals. I hope he gets to at least teach them gun safety, at least respect for firearms and what they can do. I would say this would be an ideal time to teach them safety with pocket knives and proper use, but I don't think kids are even allowed to have pocket knives now. My folks were pretty strict and I was 10 years old before I was allowed to buy one. Y'all keep up the good work!

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ranch is 5,500 acres of private , gated property and we have some rifle targets set up at various distances with safe backgrounds for shooting. Just for fun we sighted in a 22 a couple weeks ago and were hitting a 6-inch, circular target at 230 yards. Had to wait a second to hear the "ting!" when you hit it.
RG..one of the kids was packin' his own pocket knife and his parents were aware of him having it. My son didn't let him use it to construct his fishing pole though because he didn't know if the kid had been "properly" trained to use one.
My son isn't the "leader" of the den, he just helps out. The leader is in the National Guard and is gone once in a while. They usually have meetings at the armory but, if he's out of town, they meet at my sons.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Son must have had 'pretty good training' himself, great job with the young ones. :thumbsup:

Fossis..........

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Yes it sure looks like your son is developing into a pretty responsible young man. Good for him. He has obviously had
good training and has "taken' to it very well. I'll bet they had a great time. thanks for sharing.

Ray

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I don't remember ever having any 'training' on a pocket knife.My g'mother raised me and I guess I was about 7 when I got my first 'jack knife and started whittlin'and mumbly peg with other kids my age.Sure,I ended up with a cut here and there once in awhile but what kid didn't?Wasn't anything to worry about or cry over.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, warsawdaddy, got my knife trainin first time I cut myself. You always wind up gettin cut worse with a dull knife than you do with a sharp one. In Scouts, we had to have our 'Totin' Chip' before we could carry a sheath knife.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is, if the kid were to cut himself on my son's property, his parents would sue my son for not protecting their kid from his own stupidity and, the way the courts are these days, they would win. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions