Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was outside early this evening trimming some branches and as a couple fell past my arm I felt a small but sharp sting on my arm. Glancing at my arm I saw a greenish insect about twice the size of a mosquito and when I tried to brush it off, I noticed it was stuck to my arm. I pulled it off and felt the stinging sensation still on my arm along with a small red spot. Put it under my microscope and realized I hadn't seen anything like it before and it looked like it had a sharp "beak" that must have gotten me.

Got a couple photos of it and then sent it off to bug heaven!!

Any idea what this is? I'm in New Hampshire and the bug was about 2-3 times the size of a mosquito.

Attachments

• P1010798.jpg
    P1010798.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 277
OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone else mentioned to me that it resembled something in the mantis family. It's certainly possible and I'll try looking into that.

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seed bug resembles it as well, however I couldn't find any images online that matched one of those either.

I did however come across a website devoted to helping identify bugs, so I'm going to post a photo with description there and see what the "experts" there have to say.

I'm starting to wonder if it's an immature form of some bug. All I know is the sting really hurt for a short period of time and 24 hours later it's still swollen like a mosquito bite and has a red center like I got a shot.

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hello, I am pretty sure its an Assassin Bug :read2: They are usually gray, but I have seen different colors from smaller ones. I don't know much about them though, only that they are here in Pa and Md too. Paul :coffee2:

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pganjon said:
Hello, I am pretty sure its an Assassin Bug :read2: They are usually gray, but I have seen different colors from smaller ones. I don't know much about them though, only that they are here in Pa and Md too. Paul :coffee2:

Looks like you hit the nail on the head!! Check this out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduviidae

The piercing "beak" is the dead giveaway! Thanks so much for the help - after reading how painful their bites/stings can be, I don't feel like such a wuss :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread