IMG_8709 monarch color in hanchjed.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 356

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Beautiful! Used to be common in my area, but state declared Milkweed to be a noxious weed, and actively destroyed them. Fewer and fewer seen, until this year not one seen. I'm not certain which is worse: no more Monarchs or no more milkweed.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you VanGone. I enjoy your posts greatly. This is a nice pic. I don't see the Monarch migration here in Colorado. One evening in SW Oklahoma I was standing by a hackberry tree and hundreds of them came down out of the sky like a slow whirlwind and landed on the tree for the night. I did not have a camera. It was a sight to see.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get on more often Van, that is 'one beautiful picture'.

Fossis............

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Tuberale said:
Beautiful! Used to be common in my area, but state declared Milkweed to be a noxious weed, and actively destroyed them. Fewer and fewer seen, until this year not one seen. I'm not certain which is worse: no more Monarchs or no more milkweed.
Thanks Tuberale They are one of Natures beautiful things, Hope we don't lose them.
Van

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
RGINN said:
Thank you VanGone. I enjoy your posts greatly. This is a nice pic. I don't see the Monarch migration here in Colorado. One evening in SW Oklahoma I was standing by a hackberry tree and hundreds of them came down out of the sky like a slow whirlwind and landed on the tree for the night. I did not have a camera. It was a sight to see.
Thanks RGINN that would be a sight to see. Ive seen videos of them in Mexico where they go to and that is awesome, but I ve heard there is trouble there for them
Van

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
fossis said:
You need to get on more often Van, that is 'one beautiful picture'.

Fossis............
Thanks Fossis, been having some eye problems but am working through that
Van

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in their migration route. As far as I know they are the only "bug" that migrates? Every year about the last week in August or early September thousands of them come flying along headed south. They go to Mexico, mate , and lay eggs and die. Next spring the new hatch comes flying through headed north. I don't know how long they live but it seems to be much longer than than most insects? Monty

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I live in their migration route. As far as I know they are the only "bug" that migrates? Every year about the last week in August or early September thousands of them come flying along headed south. They go to Mexico, mate , and lay eggs and die. Next spring the new hatch comes flying through headed north. I don't know how long they live but it seems to be much longer than than most insects? Monty

That's intresting, about the only bug that migrates.

Fossis...........

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beautiful shot of that Monarch Vangone! This year in our are the Monarch's made a comeback, in fact all butterflies were more plentiful this year, perhaps due to our above normal wet Spring.

The wife and I annually go to Cape May Point State Park to view the annual migration of hawks and if you are lucky to get there in late September you will get to see the tagging of migrating Monarch Butterflies and to view thousand so them gathering at the Point in preparation for a flight over the Delaware Bay on their way to Mexico.

(Explains a little about the Monarch migration thru Cape May)
http://www.birdcapemay.org/monarch.shtml

Here are a few photos I took last month while we were at Cape May Point park. Bonus, we got to see 3 Bald Eagles migrating, besides dozens of hawks. The day before we got there it was reported that several hundred thousand took off as a group to cross the bay, one of the biggest gatherings of Monarchs seen there. We saw perhaps several hundred flying around, lazily feeding and perhaps migrating or maybe waiting for another large group to find to fly over the Bay...........

Cape May Point State Park, one of the best spots to visit in the Fall on the East Coast!

Don

Attachments

• BirdViewingStand.jpg
    BirdViewingStand.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DuneTop2Monacrchs.jpg
    DuneTop2Monacrchs.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 235
  • CoupleMonarchs.jpg
    CoupleMonarchs.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 242
  • MonarchinBush.jpg
    MonarchinBush.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 242

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don in SJ said:
A beautiful shot of that Monarch Vangone! This year in our are the Monarch's made a comeback, in fact all butterflies were more plentiful this year, perhaps due to our above normal wet Spring.

The wife and I annually go to Cape May Point State Park to view the annual migration of hawks and if you are lucky to get there in late September you will get to see the tagging of migrating Monarch Butterflies and to view thousand so them gathering at the Point in preparation for a flight over the Delaware Bay on their way to Mexico.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuy8k1b1qak (Explains a little about the Monarch migration thru Cape May)

Here are a few photos I took last month while we were at Cape May Point park. Bonus, we got to see 3 Bald Eagles migrating, besides dozens of hawks. The day before we got there it was reported that several hundred thousand took off as a group to cross the bay, one of the biggest gatherings of Monarchs seen there. We saw perhaps several hundred flying around, lazily feeding and perhaps migrating or maybe waiting for another large group to find to fly over the Bay...........

Cape May Point State Park, one of the best spots to visit in the Fall on the East Coast!

Don
They weigh the butterflies.....amazing!
Thanks Don!

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Don in SJ said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuy8k1b1qak (Explains a little about the Monarch migration thru Cape May)

Don
Very interesting Don. Enjoyed the video also. I sa a program on TV about them a while back that was also very interesting. They are really awesome in my book.

Attachments

• IMG_8645 BY Monarch.jpg
    IMG_8645 BY Monarch.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 214

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread