Mexican Village

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been through the village of Vallecillo, N.L. many times in 20 plus years. This time I had my MD and some time. I will go back if the boarder ever calms back down. One is the only known picture of me with a detector. The church was being used to store asphault for the highway. I guess there arn't enough people to keep up the church. Sorry about the duplicate.

Attachments

• Vallecillo locals.jpg
    Vallecillo locals.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 536
  • Vallecillo locals.jpg
    Vallecillo locals.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 416
  • Vallecillo locals.jpg
    Vallecillo locals.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 407
  • Church Yard.jpg
    Church Yard.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 4,361
  • My Passion.jpg
    My Passion.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 1,583

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty neat. I like the way they displayed the bells at those old churches. How long ago were those taken? I don't think that border will ever settle down, not in our lifetime anyway. Not without a whole bunch of social changes.

OP
OP
kenley

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for looking P.B. I took these not quite 2 years ago(Will be two in December)
Funny story: Just north of there was a Army checkpoint. If you have never been down that way you would have a hard time visualizing it.
The check point was manned by about 50 young soldiers. Their canp looked like a "Hoover village" with tents of every color and brand. They were well armed with H&K .308's, but each had a big yellow number stenciled on the stock. (rent a rifle?) I had picked up some water in my gas tank and when I let off the gas at the roadblock, the old Dodge gave up the loudest back fire I ever heard. All you could see was buttholes an elbows as they all headed for the ditches. Even the kid on the Hummer mounted M-60 abandon ship. I thought (xo%33) four years in the Marine Corps and killed by the Mexican Army. They all came easing out from under cover as I was trying to push my hands up through the sheet metal on the roof. They looked under and behind the seats, went through the glove box and door pockets. They even looked under the truck with mirrors. Never once opened the big tool box in the bed. Now my truck wouldn't start, so they pushed me over in front of the "ALTO" sign.
My last trip.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one neat neat church.. I can only imagine what you could find there. Love the bells too.. also, am kinda suprised they are still there too.

OP
OP
kenley

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bootyboy, My plan was to hunt till dark and then head for the border 70mi north in hopes the crossing would be less crowded. The Federalies were watching me from the side of the hill about a half mile away. But about two hours into the hunt, I saw them load up and start down the road toward me. Maybe they going for a cold cerveza? Who knows? But I left before they got off the mountain.
All I found was about a half dozen "miracles" That is the little silver charms that the devout pin on the statue of a saint as an offering for a miracle. And the usual 7 mm rifle bullets. I will go back.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are good pics, kenley. Funny story, and you're probably lucky the kid on the M60 ran instead of opening up. Be careful on la frontera, and stay alert, which I figure you will. The border has been a violent place since it was established, the violence has just lately come to the forefront thanks to the cartels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread