fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever i can, I travel the 'side roads' & stay off the Interstates, (much more to see).
Today I went to Eufala, neat old main street bldgs, & stopped in RGinn's 'old stomping grounds', (Quinton), one old bldg caught my eye, it was Ballards 'trading post', my kind of place.
I bought some arrowheads & foreign coins, & had a good visit with the owner, he had taken over after his Father passed away, we talked about stories of his Great-Grand parents living in a tent, & the lady feeding the Younger gang on occasion, she always refused any pay, but would usually find a Gold coin under a plate when they left.
We may even plan a detecting trip at a spot where the Grandfather found a man sitting under a tree, after raising his hat up, found a bullet hole in his forehead.
I saw Longhorns, old bldg's, etc, nice day out. :thumbsup:

PS we had 'blessed rain' today. :thumbsup:

Fossis............

Attachments

• Oklahoma Side Roads 007.JPG
    Oklahoma Side Roads 007.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Oklahoma Side Roads 006.JPG
    Oklahoma Side Roads 006.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Oklahoma Side Roads 013.JPG
    Oklahoma Side Roads 013.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 273
  • Oklahoma Side Roads 010.JPG
    Oklahoma Side Roads 010.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Oklahoma Side Roads 012.JPG
    Oklahoma Side Roads 012.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Oklahoma Side Roads 017.JPG
    Oklahoma Side Roads 017.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Oklahoma Side Roads 016.JPG
    Oklahoma Side Roads 016.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 252

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are fantastic! I want to take a road trip sooooo bad !

Wonder what the grandkiids are doing this weekend ;D

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
These are fantastic! I want to take a road trip sooooo bad !

Wonder what the grandkiids are doing this weekend ;D

Thanks, I planned on beachcombing some around Eufala lake, but it rained most of the day, but we 'surely' needed it, my oldest just got his first deer this year.

Fossis...........

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got to check out Quinton. I still got a lot of family there. My dad told me at one time I was pretty much related to everybody in that town. My second cousin Marvin was the mayor and still may be, as I haven't talked to him in about a year. Just north of town is a hill called Beaver Mountain and that's where Grandpa Ginn was born in the 1880's in what was the Moshalatubbe district of the Choctaw Nation. Quinton's changed a lot since the late 50's and early 60's when I remember it best. Marvin finally got most of the streets paved. Lots of businesses went out. Lake Eufala was supposed to be the end all be all for that part of the country. When Lake Eufala went in that strip north of Enterprise looked like Las Vegas at night with all the bait shops and eatin places, but it's pretty dark now. Tons of history in that part of the country.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Glad you got to check out Quinton. I still got a lot of family there. My dad told me at one time I was pretty much related to everybody in that town. My second cousin Marvin was the mayor and still may be, as I haven't talked to him in about a year. Just north of town is a hill called Beaver Mountain and that's where Grandpa Ginn was born in the 1880's in what was the Moshalatubbe district of the Choctaw Nation. Quinton's changed a lot since the late 50's and early 60's when I remember it best. Marvin finally got most of the streets paved. Lots of businesses went out. Lake Eufala was supposed to be the end all be all for that part of the country. When Lake Eufala went in that strip north of Enterprise looked like Las Vegas at night with all the bait shops and eatin places, but it's pretty dark now. Tons of history in that part of the country.

I didn't realize Quinton was so close to me, when you come around again, shoot me a PM.
I didn't get to spent much time around there, but i bet a guy could get into some intresting storys & maybe a few good hunts.
Like most towns in rural Ok, they are just barely 'keeping going', but a great place to live. :thumbsup:

Fossis...........

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Another nice road trip fossis. Hope you got more rain than we did, the ground was wet, but the creeks didn't rise an inch. I don't know how these little 'ol towns hang on, guess 'cause most folks don't have anywhere else to go. We don't. :dontknow: another great group of pictures! Like rginn, you have a knack for the right "photo-opt".

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Another nice road trip fossis. Hope you got more rain than we did, the ground was wet, but the creeks didn't rise an inch. I don't know how these little 'ol towns hang on, guess 'cause most folks don't have anywhere else to go. We don't. :dontknow: another great group of pictures! Like rginn, you have a knack for the right "photo-opt".

Thanks, we got a nice rain, it will help even though the creeks didn't rise much.
Most of these little towns just have home health, tanning booth, mechanic shop, & convience store, everyone has to drive for miles to work, if they are not ranchers. :icon_scratch:

Fossis...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread