Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goodness, it does look drier than a popcorn f*rt there. Beavers are about halfway smart, and most people don't know this, but they don't build that many of the typical 'beaver lodges' in Oklahoma. They tunnel back under the bank along the streams and rivers. They will build a lodge where they think they will have a good supply of reasonably calm water 2 or 3 feet deep or so. So, barring someone took their dam out, it's pretty dry if they misfigured, but it does happen and that's nature. Good pics.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
My goodness, it does look drier than a popcorn f*rt there. Beavers are about halfway smart, and most people don't know this, but they don't build that many of the typical 'beaver lodges' in Oklahoma. They tunnel back under the bank along the streams and rivers. They will build a lodge where they think they will have a good supply of reasonably calm water 2 or 3 feet deep or so. So, barring someone took their dam out, it's pretty dry if they misfigured, but it does happen and that's nature. Good pics.

Thanks, the beavers around here have had a 'rough time' in the last few years, from floods backing the water up so long that i've seen trees that they chewed on around five feet off the ground, (while they floated), looks weird to see.
Then to the other extreme, where they have to move to find water, & so far only light rains, but a little in the creeks, got them running some.

Fossis..........

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Great pics Fossis!

Was not aware of beavers living in the river banks, around here we are blessed with more water and they love building damns and lodges in northern central Michigan.
Thanks for the info R Grinn.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks, Foss, for all the beautiful pics! I love the one with the hollowed out trunk with the tree laying down. A nice home for something! Good mushroom pics, too. Did you take some home to eat? Look good to me! I never remember to take my camera with me to the woods; your pics give me encouragement! - Noodle

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bbqbull said:
Great pics Fossis!

Was not aware of beavers living in the river banks, around here we are blessed with more water and they love building damns and lodges in northern central Michigan.
Thanks for the info R Grinn.

They usually build in the bank, & just add sticks & mud, making the hutch that way, but some build out in the water with the traditional style.

Fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noodle said:
Thanks, Foss, for all the beautiful pics! I love the one with the hollowed out trunk with the tree laying down. A nice home for something! Good mushroom pics, too. Did you take some home to eat? Look good to me! I never remember to take my camera with me to the woods; your pics give me encouragement! - Noodle

You're welcome, I don't pick the mushrooms, (don't know enough about them).
I carry a shoulder bag with camera, phone, snacks & water. :P

Fossis..............

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
now for the upside -- lands formerly underwater or at waters edge can now be easily metal detected * and eyeballed for non metal artifacts --- take advantage of it while you can

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
now for the upside -- lands formerly underwater or at waters edge can now be easily metal detected * and eyeballed for non metal artifacts --- take advantage of it while you can

So true, but sadly this is Corp of Enginers land, no detecting. :'(

Fossis.............

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
fossis said:
Please turn out the lights.
It is so dry that the beavers are having to leave the swamps & head to the closest river, fish are lying dead all over, & little minnows in the muddy ditches are even about gone, all that is left is muddy trails after the water dried up.
I took a walk in a 'new area' I had never been in before, i found a cow skull, saw wood ducks, turkeys, & an armadillo, the weather was absolutely wonderful, what a Great day out in Nature. :icon_sunny:

Fossis...........
Excellent post Fossis,I enjoyed seeing the shots of the Beavers area. I use to trap them when I was younger and a lot better shape. I always had people wanting the meat for eating. Not much money in that pelt compared to other animals and all the work to skin and clean the pelt and then streach it,but I loved doing it.
I will see if I can find an old picture of some and post it if I can.
Ed

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
fossis said:
Please turn out the lights.
It is so dry that the beavers are having to leave the swamps & head to the closest river, fish are lying dead all over, & little minnows in the muddy ditches are even about gone, all that is left is muddy trails after the water dried up.
I took a walk in a 'new area' I had never been in before, i found a cow skull, saw wood ducks, turkeys, & an armadillo, the weather was absolutely wonderful, what a Great day out in Nature. :icon_sunny:

Fossis...........
Excellent post Fossis,I enjoyed seeing the shots of the Beavers area. I use to trap them when I was younger and a lot better shape. I always had people wanting the meat for eating. Not much money in that pelt compared to other animals and all the work to skin and clean the pelt and then streach it,but I loved doing it.
I will see if I can find an old picture of some and post it if I can.
Ed

Thanks Ed, I have skinned a few, but wouldn't want to make a living at it. LOL
I cooked one for my dog & it smelled great, gotta try one someday, dig out those old pic's. :thumbsup:

Fossis...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions