Female Cardinal Stopped By For A Visit (oops, MALE)

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I was checking set-points on reefer units at work last night, a female Cardinal decided to pay a visit. I was able to walk right up to the bird and pat it's lil head. She got a bit nervous and crapped on the pavement but stayed where she was. I put my gloved hand down so she could climb aboard and she looked at my hand, decided against it then flew off. Closest I ever got to a Cardinal bird!

Attachments

• Cardinal1SMALL.jpg
    Cardinal1SMALL.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Cardinal2SMALL.jpg
    Cardinal2SMALL.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 290

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Re: Female Cardinal Stopped By For A Visit

Neat picture....Although it looks like a male ..With most birds...the female is the less colorful of the pair...Makes for better concealment I presume...I found cardinals to be one of the more "people shy" birds....Interesting that it allowed you an up close and personal encounter...

F

Felinepeachy

WOW, that is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you. I feel that when animals are attracted to certain people, it really says something about that person. You must be special
phil_07.gif

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I'm with Copperhead, that's a male. Females associated with them have a lot of gray on them, not such a brilliant red. We have scores of them that come to our yard at different times of the year. Males are a bright red with a pointed top-knot. Females are paler and more gray. If I'm not mistaken (and I could very well be wrong), males are called Cardinals and females are Red Birds. Their young are little gray beings with only a spattering of red, depending on how old they are. Beautiful birds to watch! (I probably should do some more research!)

Been my experience that in the bird world, the males are more colorful and magnificent.

Noodle

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably right on being a male. I was going off the paler body color when I assumed female. I know from being a St. Louis Cardinals fan that the Cardinal is the only species where the male is better looking than the female :D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
most likely wore out and hungery / thirsty --winter time is hard on birds

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GopherDaGold said:
Probably right on being a male. I was going off the paler body color when I assumed female. I know from being a St. Louis Cardinals fan that the Cardinal is the only species where the male is better looking than the female :D

Actually most of the male species of birds all over the world are the best feathered. It is to attract a mate. From Turkeys to ducks peacocks and even geese and the song birds. Take a look in Petersons bird book. Male birds tend to be more monogamous as well.
Beautiful cardinal they really shine in the winter.
Good picture.
Happy Holidays

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
"She got a bit nervous and crapped on the pavement" :laughing9:
I can remember the first time that happened to me, but I never got that close to a bird before :laughing9:

Cool pic!
:laughing7: Mike, Mike, Mike... Only you buddy! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread