New Year In Russia and traditions.

kamgort

Dec 23, 2009
Perm
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
New Year In Russia.

New Year in Russia is celebrated on January 1, the first day of the Gregorian Calendar. In earlier times, New Year was celebrated in the month of September. Later, this day was forbidden by Czar Peter, the Great. In 1699, a decree was read about counting of years from Birth of Christ since January 1. Thus, this day was declared as a New Year's day in Russia. Since then, New Year became a family holiday for the people of Russia.

New Year Traditions
Amongst the most popular New Year symbols is a New Year's Tree called Novogodnaya Yolka which is topped with a bright star and decorated with various sweets. Another popularly celebrated New Year tradition is the arrival of Ded Moroz or Father Frost and his granddaughter Snegurochka the snow girl. They bring in New Year presents for the good children and keep them under the New Year's Tree. Children sing a song to make Father Frost happy.

New Year verve can be seen by the family get-together, use of fireworks, delicious meals etc. The most important part of the New Year activities is the sumptuous dinner with light music and champagne. The most important meals include meat, green peas, pickles, mayonnaise, onion, carrots and potatoes.

Russians also follow the tradition of listening to the New Year Speech from the President on New Year's Day. There are some more fascinating traditions followed at the time of New Year and the famous one is the tradition of fortune telling. Many people especially women and unmarried girls are excited to know about their future indulge in this acitivity.

New Year Celebrations in Russia
New Year is more of a winter vacation in Russia. Schools remain closed from January 1 till January 13. The main New Year celebrations begin from night of December 31. People usually prefer to spend the day with their friends and family members. Party clubs, hotels and discotheques are all jammed up at the time of New Year. The main New Year celebrations come to an end on January 13th, when the country celebrates the Old - Style New Year. This day is not declared as a public holiday but is celebrated to mark the beginning of the year according to the Julian calendar.

Father Frost and Snow Maiden granddaughter.

e247c4ef101a.jpg

175e00651776.jpg

Sledding.

suzdal_3924_800.jpg

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Re: New Year In Russia

Great pics and as long as it's also celebrating the birth of Christ,it's close enough for me.Thanks for posting and the history.

Squishy

Jul 19, 2009

Beautiful pictures!!! Thanks for posting them and telling us about your traditions!

-Mike-

OP
OP
kamgort

kamgort

Dec 23, 2009
Perm
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro

Russian holiday Kolyada

Kolyada - pre-Christian Slavic feast on December 21, associated with the winter solstice and New Year, and later expelled or merged with Christmas. Inherent attributes of the holiday is a gift, a dressing with animal skins, masks and horns.

attach.jpg

rugevit.ru_112.Kolyada.jpg

12.jpg

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent pics and thanks for the info. Anymore, I observe the New Year by being in bed asleep. Remember to eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck the whole year. Old southern tradition. Doesn't work, either.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the History, & Great pic's.

Fossis..........

Smremm

Sep 11, 2009
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Thank you for this interesting information and those beautiful pictures. I love having wonderful stories and traditions like this to celebrate without the religious element added on. It's good to know where all the non-Christian elements of "Christmas" actually come from. I'll be sharing this with my grand-daughter (once she's old enough)!

OP
OP
kamgort

kamgort

Dec 23, 2009
Perm
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Smremm said:
Thank you for this interesting information and those beautiful pictures. I love having wonderful stories and traditions like this to celebrate without the religious element added on. It's good to know where all the non-Christian elements of "Christmas" actually come from. I'll be sharing this with my grand-daughter (once she's old enough)!
Thank you! Happy New Year to all the people of this beautiful planet.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful photos of Russian traditions. Thank you for sharing. These are beautiful. :)

OP
OP
kamgort

kamgort

Dec 23, 2009
Perm
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
BuckleBoy said:
Wonderful photos of Russian traditions. Thank you for sharing. These are beautiful. :)
I believe ordinary people, not the dirty politicians who do not speak for us. :coffee2:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kamgort, Happy New Years and a great year of treasure hunting.
Got a question. You mentioned that originally Russia celebrated New Years in September. Was that the time the Birth of Jesus
was celebrated, too? Interesting, because we know, from the accounts given in the Bible, that Jesus was not born in the month of December. I believe that it was the earliest Christian churches in England celebrated the Conception late the month of December/early the month of January. And that would put the birth of Jesus at just about September, sometime, which would
match the description of "shepherds in the fields with their flocks."
I now live/work here in S. Korea.....closer to you than most of us here on Treasure Net. The Koreans, along with most of the
Oriental world, still celebrate the Lunar New Year.....changes to whenever the first full moon comes along in the year.....this year,
it will be in the first week of February.
The Russian native dress is beautiful. I do enjoy learning about other cultures/customs.
Thanks for your post. Bill, in South Korea

OP
OP
kamgort

kamgort

Dec 23, 2009
Perm
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
hikeinmts said:
Hey Kamgort, Happy New Years and a great year of treasure hunting.
Got a question. You mentioned that originally Russia celebrated New Years in September. Was that the time the Birth of Jesus
was celebrated, too? Interesting, because we know, from the accounts given in the Bible, that Jesus was not born in the month of December. I believe that it was the earliest Christian churches in England celebrated the Conception late the month of December/early the month of January. And that would put the birth of Jesus at just about September, sometime, which would
match the description of "shepherds in the fields with their flocks."
I now live/work here in S. Korea.....closer to you than most of us here on Treasure Net. The Koreans, along with most of the
Oriental world, still celebrate the Lunar New Year.....changes to whenever the first full moon comes along in the year.....this year,
it will be in the first week of February.
The Russian native dress is beautiful. I do enjoy learning about other cultures/customs.
Thanks for your post. Bill, in South Korea

Hi Bill!
Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas on January 7. All night prayer sung in the churches and go Christmas service. Christmas in Russia is not as wide as a holiday in America. The main celebrations occur in the New Year.

Poul

Smremm

Sep 11, 2009
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The actual birth of Jesus - if there was such a person - was probably in April or early May, given the descriptions in the Bible of the shepherds in the fields with their sheep, which didn't occur in December but in the spring.

OP
OP
kamgort

kamgort

Dec 23, 2009
Perm
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Smremm said:
The actual birth of Jesus - if there was such a person - was probably in April or early May, given the descriptions in the Bible of the shepherds in the fields with their sheep, which didn't occur in December but in the spring.

In Jerusalem, there is no winter. :icon_pirat:

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Kamgort, very interesting. I enjoyed reading the history and seeing the pics. The robe that Father Frost is wearing is
not only very colorful, it looks like it would be quite warm. Thanks for sharing.
Happy New Year to you and your's.

Ray

OP
OP
kamgort

kamgort

Dec 23, 2009
Perm
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Ray S S said:
Kamgort, very interesting. I enjoyed reading the history and seeing the pics. The robe that Father Frost is wearing is
not only very colorful, it looks like it would be quite warm. Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Thank you

Poul :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions