fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today being a beautiful day in the 40's, my friend Lester who is the caretaker of the Heavener Runestone State Park, & I went searching for 'carved stones' in the Kiamichi River area.
I had a list of places where 'oldtimers' had told the late Gloria Farley that they had seen carved stones years ago.
Gloria is the author of 'In Plain Sight', her life work of recording carved inscriptions in the United States left by Ancient Explorers.
Since we had both worked for her, we thought it fitting to try & carry on some of her work by searching for some of the stones, (some recorded & notorized), on my list.
We traveled across the Kiamichi River, 'which is very low' this year, he had his dog along, she had a 'ball' chasing squirells & even walked the log after I did.
We only found one stone with some designs, but probably 'natural marks', we were searching for one with two inch tall letters & deer tracks, similar to the one in the park that looks like a 'Turkey Track', shown in a pic.
We enjoyed a 'beautiful day' in nature even though we came up empty handed, so we are planning another trip next week.
Kiamichi is French for (water bird).
Lester found a stove door with flowers, & he thought he had a 'neat fossil.' LOL

It's good to be back

Fossis...............

Attachments

• Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 002.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 002.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 930
  • Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 003.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 003.JPG
    446 KB · Views: 964
  • Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 004.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 004.JPG
    476.6 KB · Views: 769
  • Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 005.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 005.JPG
    398 KB · Views: 836
  • Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 006.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 006.JPG
    467.4 KB · Views: 800
  • Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 007.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 007.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 767
  • Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 011.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 011.JPG
    399.4 KB · Views: 709
  • Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 010.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 010.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 758
  • Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 008.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 008.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 761
  • Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 012.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 012.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 750
  • Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 001.JPG
    Hunting The Wild Kiamichi 001.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 825

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pics. Looks like y'all are up towards the northern end of the Kiamichi. I heard about a rock with a lot of carvings on it down by Tuskahoma, but it was bulldozed off to who knows where over the years. If I had a month to kill, I'd like to go check out Poteau Mountain and just see what all I could find. Mrs. Farley said some rocks were destroyed by treasure hunters, and some were carried off, but there's probably more out there that ain't been found.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Cool pics. Looks like y'all are up towards the northern end of the Kiamichi. I heard about a rock with a lot of carvings on it down by Tuskahoma, but it was bulldozed off to who knows where over the years. If I had a month to kill, I'd like to go check out Poteau Mountain and just see what all I could find. Mrs. Farley said some rocks were destroyed by treasure hunters, and some were carried off, but there's probably more out there that ain't been found.

Thanks, we are going to check out several locations around the Poteau Mt area as we get the time, one in Ar I checked several years ago, but no luck, with new roads & clear cutting it really can change things.
Gloria invited me to go help uncover a large stone down in Mccurtain Co several years ago, that was partly exposed, but I was busy that day & couldn't go, it was very large with lots of letters.
But the absentee landlady from Ca ordered everyone to give back pic's, molds, & cover it back up when she heard about the project, (her foreman gave permission to dig).
Gloria said it could have been the (biggest find in American History), & she was very broken hearted over it.
I have heard of stones set in a ring (like stonehenge), but one guy laid them down so others wouldn't find them. :icon_scratch:

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
Great pics,fossis.The Kiamchi has some gold in it,next time take a gold pan along.

Yeah, i will . :thumbsup:

Fossis..............

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked like a beautiful clear day to be out searching ancient sign. I imagine many things are buried or just waiting to be turned over. Like the cast fossil too!!!

HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Looked like a beautiful clear day to be out searching ancient sign. I imagine many things are buried or just waiting to be turned over. Like the cast fossil too!!!

HH
TnMtns

Several ancient Runestones have been found in Ok, & with my list, maybe we can find more.
We got a laugh about the stove door, he was ready to just go home when he found that (fossil). ::)

Fossis.............

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I can't imagine a more fun day, and I've always liked that word 'Kiamichi'- sounds so native and exotic at the same time. I've mainly found initials and dates carved in rocks, but I'm always looking. Can't wait for the weather coming our way!

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
I can't imagine a more fun day, and I've always liked that word 'Kiamichi'- sounds so native and exotic at the same time. I've mainly found initials and dates carved in rocks, but I'm always looking. Can't wait for the weather coming our way!

The weather couldn't have been better for a 'Nature Outing', no snakes or ticks to worry about.
The only carving I found while working for Gloria, was a name 'Will Smith', sadly no date. :(
But we looked at lots of (natural concretions), that folks thought were man made.

Fossis..............

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Nice pics, as always. I am glad the weather is cooperating with you. Here on the east coast it has been extrodinarily cold and wet. Both rain and snow, or mixed. Good luck finding those rock carvings. rockhound

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rockhound said:
Nice pics, as always. I am glad the weather is cooperating with you. Here on the east coast it has been extrodinarily cold and wet. Both rain and snow, or mixed. Good luck finding those rock carvings. rockhound

Thanks, we have been lucky this fall & winter, just a couple of light snows with most bad weather going around us, our Daughter & Son in law from Pa were here for three days, & were happy to get away from 'bad weather' for a while. :icon_sunny:

Fossis................

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pics and nice area. Would like to hike there too.... Did i see a Red Heeler there??? The best one You can have on Your side!

Attachments

• CIMG3803_800_600.JPG
    CIMG3803_800_600.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 548

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics, Fossis! The whole runstones thing fascinates me....I bought a box of old papers at an auction last year, in the box was a newspaper [dated 1972] from Heavener and a paper insert by Gloria Farley about the Runstones called "The Vikings Were Here"....It has some of the neatest pictures/information and a map of where the runestone sites are from Poteau down to Heavener.

Thanks for posting the pics. and carrying on the work of Mrs. Farley! You live in such a wonderful place!
sandcreek~~

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront said:
Beautiful pics and nice area. Would like to hike there too.... Did i see a Red Heeler there??? The best one You can have on Your side!

Thanks, we have a great hunting area, around 5,000,000 acres just in the National Forest, not to mention Corp of Engineer land & private land.
Yes, he has a 'red heeler', her name is Mattie, she had a Grand time out with us, you have a good looking dog also. :thumbsup:

Fossis...............

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
fossis said:
Today being a beautiful day in the 40's, my friend Lester who is the caretaker of the Heavener Runestone State Park, & I went searching for 'carved stones' in the Kiamichi River area.
I had a list of places where 'oldtimers' had told the late Gloria Farley that they had seen carved stones years ago.
Gloria is the author of 'In Plain Sight', her life work of recording carved inscriptions in the United States left by Ancient Explorers.
Since we had both worked for her, we thought it fitting to try & carry on some of her work by searching for some of the stones, (some recorded & notorized), on my list.
We traveled across the Kiamichi River, 'which is very low' this year, he had his dog along, she had a 'ball' chasing squirells & even walked the log after I did.
We only found one stone with some designs, but probably 'natural marks', we were searching for one with two inch tall letters & deer tracks, similar to the one in the park that looks like a 'Turkey Track', shown in a pic.
We enjoyed a 'beautiful day' in nature even though we came up empty handed, so we are planning another trip next week.
Kiamichi is French for (water bird).
Lester found a stove door with flowers, & he thought he had a 'neat fossil.' LOL

It's good to be back

Fossis...............
Excellent as always Fossis,and very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
Ed

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
Great pics, Fossis! The whole runstones thing fascinates me....I bought a box of old papers at an auction last year, in the box was a newspaper [dated 1972] from Heavener and a paper insert by Gloria Farley about the Runstones called "The Vikings Were Here"....It has some of the neatest pictures/information and a map of where the runestone sites are from Poteau down to Heavener.

Thanks for posting the pics. and carrying on the work of Mrs. Farley! You live in such a wonderful place!
sandcreek~~

Thanks, I worked as her painter, gardener, handyman, driver, & explored for carved stones.
Once we drove to Muskogee for a meeting between Tiawanese & Cherokees, it was being filmed for the evening news, we went home to watch, & as the camera panned over to me, I was rubbing my nose & couldn't even recognize myself. ::)

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
It's great to see you back!

The avatar is very nice

I meant Treasure-Net being back. :laughing7:

Thanks, Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ed.

Fossis..............

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Great pics Fossis. A beautiful spot for sure, I hope you can find more of the stones that Gloria had documented.
I imagine a lot of small ones got carted off, and probably ended up in some peoples back yards where they are lost to science, and they probably don't even know what they have.

I wish we could find where that other one is, that the old lady ordered covered back up. She's probably gone by now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread