ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: This Bird Ain't Afraid of No Cat

matter of fact he will eat small kittens --burp red tail hawk? my "pet" mockingbirds will make em run - they will pull out his tail feathers so he can not fly --the same as they do crows -- Ii got mockingbirds that nest besides my house , they are fearless lil buggers * they are about 1/4 the size of a hawk and about 1/3 rd the size of a crow but they are scrappy fast and unless "mobbed" by crows will put "singles" on the road in a hurry --thank god mockingbirds are not the size of hawks or cows would not be safe.

once while in my backyard I saw a red tail hawk trying to eat one of the mockingbirds young from its nest while they were away from it -- well the mockingbird came back to the nest saw what was occuring and run in going full blast -- it slammed into the hawk's chest knocking him from the limb by the nest as the hawk was trying to flap his wings and get airborne the mockingbird zipped around a pulled out a tail feather -- the hawk hauled butt as fast as possible outta here with the mockingbird in hot chase --sadly the hawk did get one of the nestlings but hey they gotta eat too -- but he did not get it for free --he really earned that meal.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This guy looks like he is not afraid of much of anything or anyone . He is standing there and looking like he is just daring anyone to come into his space.

That is one nice photo of this bird.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

American Kestrel near as I can figure, but he is a bit bigger than what the online description gives. Mocking birds are nasty critters. They will harass and attack anything that gets too close to their nest and they never forget.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

my mockingbirds like me -- taught them to "sing" a tune I whistle --they like me because i keep the local feral cat pack away from their nesting area --they do a fairly good job by themselves but are outnumbered 12 to 2

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Pic. :thumbsup:

Fossis............

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Red-shoulder hawk. My favorite. I had one return for 6 winters to take the suet, chicken livers and live voles I put out for him. They are known to come to suet feeders, you might get scraps from the grocer and see if he'll come to it. Great picture :icon_thumleft:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great shot! Hawks and Great Horned Owls, my favorite birds.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:icon_thumleft: Wonderful shot of a beautiful bird, he looks so proud sitting there, just like he is posing for you!!!!! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

naturegirl said:
Red-shoulder hawk. My favorite. I had one return for 6 winters to take the suet, chicken livers and live voles I put out for him. They are known to come to suet feeders, you might get scraps from the grocer and see if he'll come to it. Great picture :icon_thumleft:

You nailed it. I thought he was a Kestrel, but he's too big. 16" is about the right size.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone. It's been a stressful day. I got this shot right before I had to take my wife to the emergency room. They admitted her and it sure is quiet here tonight.

Coin Stalker

Jan 12, 2011
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Max, Tesoro Compadre

That is right ivan, when i was a kid at my grandpa's house he had a cat that had kittens that just started walking, we we sitting out side watching them run around the ranch house and all of a sudden a red tailed hawk swooped in for a meal, it got one of the kittens, it was weird because the mama cat had fallowed the hawk toward the woods to try and save her baby (i guess it was motherly instinct) it was very interesting to me to watch nature do its thing... :dontknow:sss

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

the red tail hawk knew it was a big and easy meal * (a full grown cat is too tough a fight hawk might get hurt --but a little baby kitten is easy pickings) -- however know if that momma cat was EVER able to catch that hawk on the ground feeding on a little rabbit say and slip up on him --the tables would be turned in a heart beat.

thats the way it is with nature ---- one day your the hunter the next your the prey .

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
the red tail hawk knew it was a big and easy meal * (a full grown cat is too tough a fight hawk might get hurt --but a little baby kitten is easy pickings) -- however know if that momma cat was EVER able to catch that hawk on the ground feeding on a little rabbit say and slip up on him --the tables would be turned in a heart beat.

thats the way it is with nature ---- one day your the hunter the next your the prey .

Kinda like a country song I once heard. "Sometimes your a windshield, sometimes your the bug."
Sorry, it just popped into my head. :tongue3:

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon

Nice pic... I see those same hawks in my neck of the woods, also...
Thanks for sharing that pic. :icon_thumright:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

hes thinking lil cats taste like chicken -- why does everything have to taste like chicken? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread