Palo Alto National Park Cannonball find

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Our club Rio Grand Valley Metal Detectors has a good working relationship with the National Park Service. We give up our weekends much of the time to help the NPS search the Palo Alto battle site for artifacts that pertain to this conflict from May 8. 1846. I was hunting yesterday (17 Apr) with our group, the park rangers and the archaeologist when I became an offical memeber of the Palo Alto Cannonball club. :hello2:

It was a Mexican copper 4lb ball found about 10 in deep. I was stoked!! See the poop eating grin! Of course the GPS fellow came over, marked the spot and then the Archies bagged and tagged the ball. No, I do not get to keep it but I tell you what, the feeling you get from finding a chunk of history like this and knowing your doing your part surely offsets that, at least for me it does.
What can I say, it was a great day for me and the citizens of Texas!! Winner Winner, chicken dinner!!

Attachments

• palto alto 2011 009.jpg
    palto alto 2011 009.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 242
OP
OP
21stTNCav

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks Allen. Just a doin my part,............OK, also getting dirty and having a ton of fun doing my part!! :laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find and cool to be able to hold it. Good job preservin history! (...and to add to that, you said 'winner, winner, chicken dinner! I ain't heard that in a looooong time, hoss!)

OP
OP
21stTNCav

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
DiggerDave in Pa. said:
fossis said:
Good work :thumbsup:

Fossis..............
Nice recovery! I bet a 4 pound copper ball gave a good signal. DD

Oddly enough it was not as good of a signal as I would have thought. Don't get me wrong, my CZ 70 let me know that it was a good target ASAP, but the depth showed 4 in and it sounded much like several of the signals I had gotten earlier that wound up being .45 rounds. When I was down about 5 in digging and had not found the item I tried the detector again, and it blew my headphones off!!!
Still, it did not sound as loud as I would have thought at first.
1st rule: Dig it all!!! :laughing7:

Thanks for the kind comments all, and just for RGINN:
Buddy, when I found that cannonball I was looking fine as frog hair.
At that moment everyone else was suckin hind teat.
And last but not least: Purt near everone and their dog was envious of that relic I found!!

Again, thanks for the kind comments y'all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread