Eeeeek!!!!

M

MiniMe

Walked in the bathroom to find this sitting in the sink.... :o I haven't screamed that loud or jumped that high in a long time..... Needless to say....it did not survive. ;D Then this morning set up my coffee pot walked back upstairs and when I came back down.... his sister was sitting in my Kitchen sink....who also did not survive. ;D They're trying to kill me...no need to bite...just seeing these things are going to give me a heart attack. Ewwwwww, yuk, yuk, yuk....I'm hoping this is not a baby....cause I'd hate to see the size of mama.... :o

Attachments

• 100_0694.jpg
    100_0694.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 100_0695.jpg
    100_0695.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 321

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hot water from the tap :wink:

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None survive when I see them, one bite cost me over $100.00, every year when they bale the meadow that surrounds my house, they start coming in.

Fossis...........

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

Any clue on what type of Spider this is?

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I find little (1/4" - 6mm) spiders around and I just leave them alone.....no mosquitos, no fruit flies, and few regular flies are ever around in the house.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
common type "wolf" spider --good news as a "general" rule they do not bite humans unless attacked * and they are NOT generally thought of as a species of spider thats really dangerous to humans * ( that is unless your that type of person that freaks out about seeing ANY SPIDER , AT ALL*) -- normally even if bit by a wolf spider it not that big of a deal --(unless one has allergy's to its vemon -- quite rare ) --its like a bee string for the most part -- because of the large numbers of home invading pest insectts they kill wolf spiders are generally thought of as more "helpful" than harmful to humans --- thus their not like a black or brown widow or recluse ( which are all very dangerous to humans)

WOLF SPIDERS DO NOT BUILD WEBS * they run down their insect type prey ( like a pack of wolves do --hince "wolf spider") and can move quite rapidly (when not trapped in a slick sink or tub where they can get no traction) -- most often they hide in daylight hours and only come out from under the couch and other dark hidden holes in your house at night to hunt for bugs that roam in your home in the dark-- if your bathroom has a ceiling vent fan that connects to your attic --most likely thats where the "pair" can from -- it was more likely to be MR & MRS wolf spider than brother and sister -- mud daubbers by the way are mortal enemys of these and other spiders as well since they sting spiders and pack several of them (stunned but still alive) as "living food" for their larvae to feed upon once they hatch in their mud cell type nest.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have spiders like that around here which I've always called a wolf spider. But ours build "webs" in corners that look like little funnels. They are brown and look just like the picture above. They can get to be the size of a 50 cent piece.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
those wolf spider look alikes are called "funnel web spiders" they do build funnel shaped type webs * unlike wolf spiders

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've looked at pictures of both wolf spiders and funnel web spiders. The wolf spiders look closer to what we have around here so that's what I always assumed they were. There are a few types of funnel web spiders that look like what we have but most of them do not. Who knows. Maybe I'll grab a picture the next time I see one and you guys can tell me what I'm dealing with.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
there are several differant sub groups of spiders within each "family" group of spiders -- one set of funnel spiders might not look exactly the same as their cousins

you most likely just have a differant sub group type of funnel spider

one of the key traits of true "wolf" spiders is the fact they are "active" hunters thus they seek out and run down their prey ( thus they DO NOT make webs) --thus they are very differant than most other spiders who are "passive hunters" --who just sit and wait till something comes stumbling into their web area :wink: :icon_thumright: (funnel spiders)

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only bug I will kill in my house is a cockroach! I will catch and release spiders as they are very beneficial. I don't have a fear of any living thing but I do have healthy respect for a lot of them!
I caught a 4' long alligator in my backyard last year. Called DNR and they relocated it to a wildlife refuge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread