poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been off the air for a while, But I had to share this picture. I found these babies in 1 spot. Then the thunder started crackin, The rain started fallin, I began my 2 mile ride home. When the weather cooperates better I can get back up in there, I will share any finds. Ben

Attachments

• 46 morels (2).JPG
    46 morels (2).JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 225

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
UHHUH ! That's why you ain't been around . You didn't wanna share . :laughing7:
Just kiddin , buddy . Looks like you got a good start on a mess for you , Chrissie , and Charla .
Enjoy .
Jim

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are sweet looking. It still to cold around here for them. So this is what I been doing. They bite even in the rain. First pic is yesterday and 2nd pic is today's. Me and a friend went today and was only there 45 mins.....Matt

Attachments

• DSCF0033.JPG
    DSCF0033.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCF0035.JPG
    DSCF0035.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 224
OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They settin in the fridge in a pickle jar waitin for me to fry em up! MMMmmm! I will share Jim, want me to bring you over a mess? Wife and son won't eat em. Thats more for me..Lol... Neice comin over later in afternoon. I gonna ride back in the woods to get after more morels.........Stay Tuned.......

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
do you sell them at all? or just eat them? i know of a place where there are a bunch of them, but it is illegal to take anything from there. however, maybe searching outside of it i could find some more

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a friend tell me they sell for $20 an ounce when dried out....

Its like finding a treasure cache! :headbang:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Looks like only one of those is over the hill - in the far upper-right corner. Try drying that one, and growing your own morels. Nancy Smith-Weber told me she was able to get nearly 100% germination of morel spores from material that had been dried a year and stored away from direct sunlight. I guess she stored them either in a cupboard or in a freezer. Either method has worked for me.

Locally they will grow in fresh-chipped green Douglas-fir branches, Beauty bark used for landscaping mulch, or even just compost sometimes. You need to grow your morels in a place where you look at it often. While "May is the month for morelling", my first batch was found in mid-March, and nearly 100 feet away from where I started the patch.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only experience with "wild" mushrooms was 30+ years ago,
and it wasn't for culinary excellence. 8)

"Durn Kids... Git outta my cow pastures!"
(Been shot at with .410 rock salt ...and hit)

Best,
Scott

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
@MLayers: I wish I got a photo of that 45 pound catfish a budy of mine caught many years ago. You reminded me of that.

@Poor: This is the only time I would recommend someone buying a mushroom kit, to regrow them from spoors. Although, I'm willing to bet they won't grow no matter what you do.... life has a way of doing that to us.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
mikeofaustin said:
@Poor: This is the only time I would recommend someone buying a mushroom kit, to regrow them from spoors. Although, I'm willing to bet they won't grow no matter what you do.... life has a way of doing that to us.
Morels are among the fastest-growing and easiest mushrooms to produce.

You will need: 1) fresh chipped Douglas-fir branches (about 1-2 cubic yards worth), 2) 1 dried morel, 3) 1 gallon warm water.

Spread the chips 3-4 inches deep. Powder the morel, and add to water. Spray or pour the water on the chips. Wait. Watch. Natural harvest usually in spring when you see 'em. What's hard about it?

It is true that not everyone is able to grow mushrooms. Not everyone has grown a cabbage either. Neither is especially difficult to grow.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Tuberale said:
mikeofaustin said:
Morels are among the fastest-growing and easiest mushrooms to produce.

You will need: 1) fresh chipped Douglas-fir branches (about 1-2 cubic yards worth), 2) 1 dried morel, 3) 1 gallon warm water.

Spread the chips 3-4 inches deep. Powder the morel, and add to water. Spray or pour the water on the chips. Wait. Watch. Natural harvest usually in spring when you see 'em. What's hard about it?

It is true that not everyone is able to grow mushrooms. Not everyone has grown a cabbage either. Neither is especially difficult to grow.

I know that truffles are very expensive... perhaps I was thinking that the more expensive a mushroom can be, the least likely a person is, to cultivate them.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
mikeofaustin said:
I know that truffles are very expensive... perhaps I was thinking that the more expensive a mushroom can be, the least likely a person is, to cultivate them.
I know several professional mycologists who would agree with you, Mike. That has not been my experience.

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I got more pics to post, just having the time to transfer them. my lil boy got his leg broke april 29th. My wife and I havent been able to leave his sight long enough but a bathroom break. The first week and a half we rotated shifts I never slept but a few hrs in the first week It has been hard but he is loosening up now. I aint forgot my friends, Just been tryin to catch up on work and lost sleep. I promise to post more pics very soon. Sorry Jim I will give yuh a call.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
poorhunter78 said:
Sorry, I got more pics to post, just having the time to transfer them. my lil boy got his leg broke april 29th. My wife and I havent been able to leave his sight long enough but a bathroom break. The first week and a half we rotated shifts I never slept but a few hrs in the first week It has been hard but he is loosening up now. I aint forgot my friends, Just been tryin to catch up on work and lost sleep. I promise to post more pics very soon. Sorry Jim I will give yuh a call.
No problem.

In life you must set priorities. You made the right decision.

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate that tube. I been havin some tough times. But things will work out in time. I got to get these pics posted fer yall to see...til then....

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Ben ,
The unselfish love and care that I have seen you and your wife bestowe on that little boy would absolve you of many sins . The least of which would be not posting more pics here .
Visit when ya can .
Jim

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you at?? I used to hunt Morels when I lived in Eastern Oregon... Miss it a lot... BUT.. I am flying up there next wednesday for my sons graduation, will be in that area a couple weeks... I am hoping he and I will be able to find some.. As cold as it has been there, I bet it will be a good time.. Blue Mountains can be some great hunting, but the commercial pickers (when I left) were so bad, they were even having shootouts over "territory"...
Halve them, dip in egg wash, then cracker meal, and fry in butter... No better eats in the world imho...

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well silver I'm in the state where you gotta run the A/C in the daytime and the furnace at nite!!!LOL WV

Here yall go. You can print as many as yuh want, Cut em out, Then fry em up. Well wouldn't recommend that Probly get stomack ache and conptipated. If that would have to happen. PM the Dr. Spartacus53

These were the last I found on a 4wheeler ride. 20 some days ago..
Tomorrow marks my 6 year anniversary, Be home with my lovely wife and my lil guy who has gotten into a much smaller cast. He has been singin like the wind...LOL He is in much better spirits. Thought you would like to hear that Jim. Sorry dint make it over yet. will be very very soon....Things are finally startin to look up....

Attachments

• 5162011 004.JPG
    5162011 004.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 259

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread