My day today. Wear your seatbelt, it will save your life.

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City
Some may think that wearing your seatbelt is to restrictive and uncomfortable, or that laws passed requiring seatbelt use is just "Big Brother" lording over us. Based on personal experience, I would say that wearing your seatbelt is far better than the alternative if you ever find yourself in an accident and are lucky enough to survive being ejected from a moving vehicle. So... Having said this, my life's cause is to spread the word to all those that might listen, and to those that I care about. The T-net forum is made of individuals that have a common cause and are good people all around, so that means I care about this community. Be safe and God Speed.

The link to the story:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=15664504

Share it as you see fit and spread the word.

Attachments

• 2011 Click It or Ticket.jpg
    2011 Click It or Ticket.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 429

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I agree that seatbelts save lives because I've been in a few serious car accidents . One where the car flipped and landed in the ditch. The other accidents were because we hit 2 deer.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We ALWAYS wear our seatbelt, not only because it's a state law, but because it saves lives.

In S.Fl, every morning on the news traffic report, you hear and see, the results of bad accidents, fatalities, and horrors of our highways.

Please pay attention to your driving. Behind the wheel, you are armed with a machine, capable of doing major damage, keep your mind on your driving, not that cell-phone or I-pad. Please.

Vehicle vs. human? Vehicle wins everytime. Rjwman, keep spreading the word, and thank you!

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The accident we had when the car flipped was caused by the back tire popping while we were going down the road.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Florida, cops have stepped up their ticketing for not wearing your seat belt. They call it "click it or ticket".

First day here in Orlando, a woman driving her SUV crashes into a guard rail. Three kids, three of them, were thrown from the car into the street. No seat belts. It's a miracle they survived.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
In Florida, cops have stepped up their ticketing for not wearing your seat belt. They call it "click it or ticket".
First day here in Orlando, a woman driving her SUV crashes into a guard rail. Three kids, three of them, were thrown from the car into the street. No seat belts. It's a miracle they survived.
Thanks smudge, We had a Haitian lady, on I-95, with three kids, crashed, no seatbelts.
The little 4 yr old boy, flew over, a 40-50 foor high sound wall barrier, and landed in an elderly couples yard. Not hurt at all, go figure!
But, that's not the point, what if he had HIT the wall, instead of going over it? Or been ejected into on-coming traffic.

All accidents are avoidable, forget the alibi!

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
pat-tekker-cat said:
What if he had HIT the wall, instead of going over it? Or been ejected into on-coming traffic.

All accidents are avoidable!

He would have been stain instead of a kid.

I personally have a friend who was thrown from a vehicle and it cost her the use of her legs & a jerk~off husband.
They where under a mile from home and had just stopped to check on a car in the ditch, she didn't put her belt back on and when their car skidded
off the road & flipped she go ejected and landed in the grass, right onto the the only fence post stub in the whole area. 1:1,000,000 chance of landing on it and she did.

Seat belts save lives, you have no excuse not to use it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ate dinner with a friend who had a night engagement, and on the way home he rolled his vehicle when a deer dashed in front of him on a curve.

He rolled the van, and his head got crushed between the van and road.

If he'd been wearing a seat belt, he'd been alive and well and seen his kids grow up.

I've worn one since.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post. In 25 years in police work I saw a lot of traffic fatalities. Mostly they had been thrown from the vehicle. Never once saw one belted in and dead. It could happen, but seat belts might give you that little extra edge, I think. Y'all drive safe, especially the kids, cause most of y'all have no idea of what it's like to go wake some folks up in the middle of the night and tell them their kid's been killed in a car wreck. However would you do that, but I had to figure it out and do it a few times.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Y'all drive safe, especially the kids, cause most of y'all have no idea of what it's like to go wake some folks up in the middle of the night and tell them their kid's been killed in a car wreck. However would you do that, but I had to figure it out and do it a few times.
And I am so grateful for you! You've worn shoes, many would not dare, want to put on.
Words pale, and the thanks, are from the bottom of my heart, and deeper.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Not only is it compulsary to wear seat belts in the UK but the use of cell phones in a car has been banned in the last twelve months or so. You can of course use those phones that are wired up for receiving calls and speaking while you still have your hands on the steering wheel.
Is it compulsary to wear seat belts in the US or just in some States?

'U'

OP
OP
R

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City
In the State of Utah it is a primary offense to not wear your seatbelt if you are under the age of 19, and a secondary offense if you are older than 19. In other words, if you are under 19 you can get pulled over just for not wearing a seatbelt, over 19 and you have to make some other moving violation in order to be cited for not wearing your seatbelt. The fine is only $45 though. The Utah Highway Patrol is under the mindset that they would rather educate the public on the importance of seatbelt use rather than fining them large amounts of Money. In California the fine starts at $194 for the first offense and then goes up from there for subsequent offenses. No matter the monetary cost though, the other costs associated with the loss of life or serious injury pale in comparison.

After losing three family members and being seriously injured in the same accident to the point that my foot was amputated as a result of being ejected from a moving vehicle, I can speak first hand of the importance of proper seatbelt use. Life is too precious.

stagger

Sep 29, 2010
Carrizozo, NM
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado Umax * Bounty Hunter Tracker 1-D/505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a deputy sheriff for many years, wore my seatbelt on duty (we weren't required to tho), and wrote many seatbelt violation tickets. I wore mine (still do) because it's the SMART thing to do. But, unlike many officers, I HAVE unbuckled dead folks from a vehicle. I am off the street now, but if I ever went back on patrol the only seatbelt violation tickets I would write would be to parents for unrestrained children. My attitude has changed muchly over the years and I believe now that writing a seatbelt ticket to an adult for being unrestrained is an intrusion into that adults personable liberty. Same with motorcycle helmets. Your mileage may vary.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unicorn ...in Oklahoma, I think it states if under 8 years or under 70 lbs has to be in car seat an if under 45 lbs and under 7 has to be in back seat, if under ? weight an age not sure they have to be in back in rear facing car seat... For older up frontdriver has to be buckled .... passenger too, but, if passenger is under (cant remember if 16 or 18) an not buckled driver gets ticket if over the age the passenger gets the ticket.

The only time I didnt wear mine was the first week after surgery, the rest of time I did an do !

And ck them a bad one ... cost my middle grandson his sight in one eye...... :'(

OP
OP
R

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City
stagger said:
I was a deputy sheriff for many years, wore my seatbelt on duty (we weren't required to tho), and wrote many seatbelt violation tickets. I wore mine (still do) because it's the SMART thing to do. But, unlike many officers, I HAVE unbuckled dead folks from a vehicle. I am off the street now, but if I ever went back on patrol the only seatbelt violation tickets I would write would be to parents for unrestrained children. My attitude has changed muchly over the years and I believe now that writing a seatbelt ticket to an adult for being unrestrained is an intrusion into that adults personable liberty. Same with motorcycle helmets. Your mileage may vary.

Stagger,

Thank you for your service. There are times that the mechanics of an accident are just so that even if you wear a seatbelt you may not come out alive. The statistics that I have seen from the UHP here in Utah shows though that you are 32 times more likely to survive an accident if you wear a seatbelt, and 70 more times likely to die if you don't. I like the odds of coming out on top and wearing my seatbelt as apposed to not. As far as writing tickets goes, I agree with you somewhat in the sense that it does more service to those that have made a choice not to wear a seatbelt if you spend a few minutes with them educating them on the importance of proper seatbelt use. This is of course if they are the only one in the vehicle, but even then, their whole family is still affected if they are in an accident and die as a result of not wearing a seatbelt. Also, I have heard of accidents where one individual decided to not wear their seatbelt and became a human pinball killing others in the vehicle that had their seatbelts on. Now, of course, if they choose to be belligerent about it, or make it a habitual issue, or don't properly restrain there little ones then throw the book at them. My dad had his seatbelt on and he did not survive. It was just the way the vehicle rolled, he was unlucky any way the dice was rolled. The four of us in the back though would have walked away from our accident if we had been wearing our seatbelts. I miss my family members that were killed that night, and I would give anything to have them back. I just hope that individuals can learn from my mistake (I take full responsibility for my choice, and have accepted the consequences) and make the smart choice and wear a seatbelt properly. If I had done so along with my brothers and sister they would still be here, and I would still have my foot. Once again, thank you for taking care of us out there. Your job I can imagine was never easy, but always much appreciated from individuals like myself. I am most grateful for individuals such as yourself.

stagger

Sep 29, 2010
Carrizozo, NM
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado Umax * Bounty Hunter Tracker 1-D/505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rjwmam- Thank you for you kind and well thought out response. I agree with you in that seat belts definately can increase your chances of survival in a crash. That's why I wear mine always.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions