poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another shot of 3 more snappers.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0001.jpg
    Scan_Pic0001.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 345

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Used to catch them in an old farm pond as a kid,always amazed me how they use their tongue to catch prey.Reminds me of the song My Dingaling

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
I've caught many upon many in my lifetime. Used to have old clawfoot bathtub in back yard and we would throw them in there (keep water clean) for 48 hours to clean themselves out, then sell them for $1.00 a pound alive! Never thought of taking pictures back then! My Dad and Uncle were playing horeshoes one day and my brothers and i came from the creek with 2 big snappers, and my Uncle says "i'll buy all you can catch for a $1.00 a lb". He showed us how to set the hooks and I'll tell you we broke that man by the next friday and had him owing us alot of money by the end of summer! LOL.... very true!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
seen em as big as a 30 gallon trash can lid --meaner snot too--get yer fingers near em and SNAP be minus one of em --they aren't called ALLIGATOR "snapping turtles" fer nothing ya know.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a 55 gallon drum, put a brass hinge on one rim, attach an off centered board onto hinge, bore some 3 inch holes in drum, sink it in 2 feet of snapper water. Locate drum near a log or rock pile, tie bait on end of board over center of drum, (you have to balance it) set other end of board on log or rock pile, go to the bar for awhile, when you return...Voila! Drum full of turtles. How it works.... when the turtle smells the bait, he crawls out to the end of the board to get the food, he offsets the balance, then he is in da bucket ;D Turtles are stupid, they will come to this like fly's and in no time your drum will be full enough that some may escape by climbing on the backs of others and go over the top. Have sat and watched these traps in action :headbang:. Now that they have those plastic drums they are better (they don't rust and sides are much slicker).......NGE

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I grew up, beside our place the neighbor's field some 1200 yards across by probly 1300-1400 yards wide. part of it was for hay biggest part had tweeks 25-50 head of cattle. Now there is 2 ponds 1 prolly 50-60 feet across the other much bigger. During summer when we had no school, I remember many times hearing the cows carrying on since we lived there and bordered that farm we helped with what we could. Anyway the cows would stand in a big circle just hollerin and raisin cain. When I would notice this I would go get a rope and go down in the field. Yes the cows were drivin crazy by a turtle, I would kick him on his back, Put a slip knot in the rope and put it around his tail. Then begin my 3-400 yard walk back home with my catch. Any one else experience this?
Poorhunter

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, the cat brain wasn't making the connection at first! LOL! :laughing7:
000_1395.002.jpg
Guess I got lunch on the brain? :icon_scratch:
Momma always said, "snapping turtle latch on to ya, he ain't letting go,
till the lighning strikes"! YIKES! :laughing7:

Yeah! Throw that turtle in the pot! :laughing7:

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pat-tekker-cat said:
Man, the cat brain wasn't making the connection at first! LOL! :laughing7:
That's the nature of a feline! :tongue3: Yuh fell right into than un...Ha ha :laughing7:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
poorhunter78 said:
Where I grew up, beside our place the neighbor's field some 1200 yards across by probly 1300-1400 yards wide. part of it was for hay biggest part had tweeks 25-50 head of cattle. Now there is 2 ponds 1 prolly 50-60 feet across the other much bigger. During summer when we had no school, I remember many times hearing the cows carrying on since we lived there and bordered that farm we helped with what we could. Anyway the cows would stand in a big circle just hollerin and raisin cain. When I would notice this I would go get a rope and go down in the field. Yes the cows were drivin crazy by a turtle, I would kick him on his back, Put a slip knot in the rope and put it around his tail. Then begin my 3-400 yard walk back home with my catch. Any one else experience this?
Poorhunter
I have always wondered what cows would do w/ a snapper. & why I haven't seen more w/ bites on their legs.
when we first moved to MO my WA state husband caught one while we were in the boat on the back pond. I warned him their necks are really long but of course he didn't listen. you should have seen him jump when that nasty thing shot out to bite him. luckily he missed him, & we had it for dinner. there are 3 different types here in MO. only one is good to eat.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Never caught any that big. Usually only about 6-8 inch diameter. Never ate any. Taste like chicken? ;D

Only had snapper soup once.

Defintely didn't taste like chicken,
But wished there was More

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
has many different flavors in it. depends on how you cook it! 99% of people make it a stew/soup, which is sooooooooooooo good! East Side Cafe still has it on menu here. YUMMY!

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohioaxeman said:
has many different flavors in it. depends on how you cook it! 99% of people make it a stew/soup, which is sooooooooooooo good! East Side Cafe still has it on menu here. YUMMY!
Yeah! I got a buddy that would cook the meat, really slow with low heat. then roll it in a batter, Don't know (shake n bake) or whatever it was then bake it in nugget size portions.

Mom & Dad always just made Turtle meat into a soup. Satisfied our hunger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread