Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter took these pictures of a little buck eating his dinner yesterday evening. He sure was enjoying those oak leaves and nibbling his way along the creek banks.
Pretty nice little buck, huh? His hide(skin) looked kinda funny, though, it was all splotchy. It may be the heat that has caused his to shed some extra hair? or maybe all deer do this in the summer months?
Some pics.......Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_9922 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_9922 (650x433).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_9919 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_9919 (650x433).jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_9919 - Copy (518x650).jpg
    IMG_9919 - Copy (518x650).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_9925 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_9925 (650x433).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 380
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mountainplayer said:
Love your daughters wildlife pics. The summer coats always look a little raggedy to me. Your little buck has a buddy in that last pic.

MP
Thanks MP :hello: . I guess these deer probably slough off lots of hair in the summer to compensate for all the heat----the less the better.
And we saw that "buddy" but he was slipping away into the underbrush before she could get a good shot of him.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazyjarhead said:
Nice pictures. It's amazing how close she got, or did she have a super good zoom lense ???
Thanks CJH--He was right by the road but she did zoom in a little.
He wasn't too scared---he just stood there and watched us. Then he meandered on off, eating his way along the creek.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
thats a at least about 3 to 4 year iold mature type deer -- hes still in velvet (growing in this years set of antlers )= a 8 point -- coats a bit rough -- his freimd might be a young buck or yearling doe -- until the time close to the rut --males tend to hang together in a "bachelor group")--as they get close to the rutting (mating) time --the fighting amoungst the males happens and they break away from one another as the "pecking order" of the area is set

male deer feed quite heavily pre rut to build up their fat reserves and antler mass --since during the rut they basically do not feed but run themselves ragged trying to mate as much as possible

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
thats a at least about 3 to 4 year iold mature type deer -- hes still in velvet (growing in this years set of antlers )= a 8 point -- coats a bit rough -- his freimd might be a young buck or yearling doe -- until the time close to the rut --males tend to hang together in a "bachelor group")--as they get close to the rutting (mating) time --the fighting amoungst the males happens and they break away from one another as the "pecking order" of the area is set

male deer feed quite heavily pre rut to build up their fat reserves and antler mass --since during the rut they basically do not feed but run themselves ragged trying to mate as much as possible
His friend was another little buck, Ivan.....And we do see these bucks running in bachelor groups, especially during the spring and summer months, and there's usually sometimes up to 5 or 6 bucks in a group.
During the rut around here(NE Okla.), they break off from the bachelor groups and chase the does, but that doesn't stop them from feeding. In fact I put out corn everyday through the winter months(and during the rut) and the bucks still come in to feed. They will get a little side-tracked, though, if they smell a 'hot' doe :D.
We live in a place that is deer heaven---the habitat is fantastic, with lots of natural forage and a nice water supply.
Thanks Ivan :hello: .........

M

MiniMe

You call that a little buck.... :laughing7: Great picture, you sure do live in deer haven.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minime said:
You call that a little buck.... :laughing7: Great picture, you sure do live in deer haven.
Why he's just a baby :tongue3: :D .....I really think these are some of the deer we feed in the winter time. Most of these bucks(and the does) run this creek bottom by our house. I know that seems farfetched to most people, but year after year, after seeing the same bucks over and over agian, we've learned that they tend to stay in one area.
Thanks minime :hello: .
allen said:
he is a handsome fellow and great pics !!
Thanks allen--He is a handsome buck---Can't wait to see what he looks like without that velvet on his horns.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I have not hunted in years, but I would call that a very nice buck and would have been happy to get one that size.

Great pics as usual!! :)

Ron

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
He's cute! He is splotchy though, huh? Dang this heat!! >:( I feel sorry for the critters. I saw Josie's picture in the magizine! Buckshot and I were wondering if they were any of your named bucks? Tell her I said congratulations!, WTG Josie! Did you get to flint hunt after that nice rain y'all had up there?

lisa

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ronwoodcraft said:
I have not hunted in years, but I would call that a very nice buck and would have been happy to get one that size.

Great pics as usual!! :)

Ron
Thanks Ron--He will be a nice buck in a couple more years---We'll pour the corn to him and help him grow a little :wink: . He looks a little skinny right now--its amazing how much bigger they look in the fall/winter during the rut. Their necks swell up twice that size and they put on their thick winter coats.
steve71 said:
looks like he'd taste just fine.lol thanks for the pic
Nuthin' quite like fresh venison, huh, Steve? It won't be long until hunting season and we'll have some tasty backstraps .
naturegirl said:
He's cute! He is splotchy though, huh? Dang this heat!! >:( I feel sorry for the critters. I saw Josie's picture in the magizine! Buckshot and I were wondering if they were any of your named bucks? Tell her I said congratulations!, WTG Josie! Did you get to flint hunt after that nice rain y'all had up there?

lisa
Yes, the big buck in the picture/magazine was one of our named bucks--That was old Big Boy. Wasn't he a beaut?! We even have one of his sheds! Josie was so thrilled to have another one of her pictures in Outdoor Oklahoma.

And we haven't been out looking for flint--its just too hot, and I'm so afraid of snakes in the summer! That 2 1/2" of rain was sure a blessing, though, wasn't it?!
Thanks Lisa!

Carmon~~

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Are you kiddin me? 2 i/2 inches? Tommy said the roads washed out pretty good, so it must have been alot. We got 1/2 here >:( didn't even budge the creeks! Ponds are drying up fast!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Are you kiddin me? 2 i/2 inches? Tommy said the roads washed out pretty good, so it must have been alot. We got 1/2 here >:( didn't even budge the creeks! Ponds are drying up fast!
Really it was 2 1/2" --The roads did wash out pretty bad--I was in 4-wheel drive and sideways in the road almost all the way to town. I bet the gravel bars washed really good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread