Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
lookindown said:
Ive hunted and trapped wild boar all my life......those are some nice stories for people who don't know better. All the new t v shows have everyone believing they attack on sight. If you mess with them, they will get you. I wish they would come after me, it would make killing them easier.
Hello lookindown. What county do you hunt in?

Im sure Beth has more than enough experience to comment on wild hogs.

True, they do not generally attack on sight but that doesnt mean it never happens. Wild hogs are known to have eaten alive wounded soldiers on the battlefield during the CW..

My guess is you hunt hogs with a rifle? Am I correct? Well like I said, hogs are not dumb. Of course they will run in that type of scenario because they cant win against a rifle toting hunter and so they prefer to run.

Mountain lions/ Florida panthers will retreat as well but that doesnt mean in a certain situation they wont eat you. I call them "opportunists".

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
lookindown,

I did not MESS with the ones that got my dog - it came straight at me in my own yard.

And, your disney-world outlook can get someone hurt. I can tell you have that disney-outlook, because, you say it would make it easier for you to kill them if they came after you - :laughing7: A REAL hunter doesn't think his target is an enemy.

Beth
I never said they were an enemy.....i love wild hogs, they taste great. Read your post, you said you truly hate them....I love them.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
lookindown said:
Ive hunted and trapped wild boar all my life......those are some nice stories for people who don't know better. All the new t v shows have everyone believing they attack on sight. If you mess with them, they will get you. I wish they would come after me, it would make killing them easier.
Hello lookindown. What county do you hunt in?

Im sure Beth has more than enough experience to comment on wild hogs.

True, they do not generally attack on sight but that doesnt mean it never happens. Wild hogs are known to have eaten alive wounded soldiers on the battlefield during the CW..

My guess is you hunt hogs with a rifle? Am I correct? Well like I said, hogs are not dumb. Of course they will run in that type of scenario because they cant win against a rifle toting hunter and so they prefer to run.

Mountain lions/ Florida panthers will retreat as well but that doesn't mean in a certain situation they wont eat you. I call them "opportunists".
I hunt in central Florida. Ive hunted them with just about everything, including dogs with a knife. I broke a 230 pounders back with a muzzleloader and had to reload and shoot him as he was pulling himself with his front legs straight at me. I only posted because I could tell mrs oroblanco was an animal lover, non hunter. I knew people had been attacked, but its rare. I am sorry she lost her dog. Everyone is trying to get rid of wild hogs, saying they are not native, but they were here before we were. Im just sticking up for the poor old wild boar. :laughing7:

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
lookindown said:
There has never been an unprovoked wild boar attack in the U S. There have been numerous attacks, but none were unprovoked. A lot of stories out there, none documented.

Hate disagree but there are TONS of documented unprovoked attacks is the US, every year!

Half are bunk, but the other half are not.

A recent one involved a off duty LEO coming home, attacked him after he got out his car while
walking up to his front door.
LOE 1 wild pig 0.

Wild hogs need to be blasted wherever they are found.PERIOD.

The damage they do to the environment (not to mention farmer's fields) is unreal, the amount
of ground they can tear up in an hour is huge.

The only good wild pig is the one on my smoker covered in sauce!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildman4910 said:
lookindown said:
There has never been an unprovoked wild boar attack in the U S. There have been numerous attacks, but none were unprovoked. A lot of stories out there, none documented.

Hate disagree but there are TONS of documented unprovoked attacks is the US, every year!

Half are bunk, but the other half are not.

A recent one involved a off duty LEO coming home, attacked him after he got out his car while
walking up to his front door.
LOE 1 wild pig 0.

The damage they do to the environment (not to mention farmer's fields) is unreal, the amount

He couldnt fire his gun in his neighborhood to stop the hog from rooting up his yard......so here comes the attack story again. I dont know thats what happened, but it happens a lot.

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
I debated responding to this, but my tale is true. I was in my mid twenties (1984) just north of Alligator Alley, West of Snake Road when this occurred and had one other person with me. As far as documentation goes don't know what to say :dontknow: but I remember it like it was this morning. Two large hogs made it clear they did not want us hanging on their turf. I haved lived a pretty adventurous life and have no need to embellish or fabricate any part of it.

Happy Hunting :icon_thumleft:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
lookindown said:
I hunt in central Florida. Ive hunted them with just about everything, including dogs with a knife.
They will also run from dogs in most cases. :wink:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
fladiverdown said:
I debated responding to this, but my tale is true. I was in my mid twenties (1984) just north of Alligator Alley, West of Snake Road when this occurred and had one other person with me. As far as documentation goes don't know what to say :dontknow: but I remember it like it was this morning. Two large hogs made it clear they did not want us hanging on their turf. I haved lived a pretty adventurous life and have no need to embellish or fabricate any part of it.

I work with the FWC and from what I hear they may be opening the "Addition Lands" of the Big Cypress Preserve next year and I hope to be working Snake Road. :icon_thumright: Im looking forward to it. http://www.fl4wda.com/images/bcnp_addition.jpg

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
Hey Big Cypress, Would not be surprised if our bent sawgrass hasn't crossed paths at one time or another. I used to spend weeks at a time out there and it is truly a great spot. Most Floridians have no idea what they are missing. Thats a good thing :wink:. Had a couple of double wides and a big pond we kept stocked with bass. Jeeps with two gears and no reverse. Shotguns, rifles and four wheel drives. When we got tired of the scenery we would split for the Bahamas and shoot fish. Had to grow up and get responsible so don't get as much of that anymore :'(.

Happy Hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fladiverdown said:

I don't doubt your story, it happens sometimes. I made my original post to get a little conversation going. I worked alongside biologists doing the first study ever done in Florida on feral hog habits. We had ten portable traps, we took data and ear tagged the hogs. This was done at the Avon Park Bombing Range. When the hogs were brought in to the check station during hunting season, they took data like how much weight gain, how far they traveled, etc. We did this three years. The vast majority of people are misinformed about wild hogs. I don't know everything about them ,but I know a little.

OP
OP
reddirt

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008
allen said:
instead of shooting that thing with a camera
you shouldve used the old 20 gauge shotgun !

Hmmm I don't know about that. Its better for me to shoot with a camera and be free than to shoot with a gun and get arrested.

OP
OP
reddirt

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008
bigcypresshunter said:
Reddirt how did you get so close? Were you in a tree?

I was actually in my truck. It was eating right on the side of a dirt road (slightly in a ditch) right by the jungle.

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
Hey lookindown, Looks like you achieved your goal of getting something going on this thread.
That is a big hog in your avatar - is that a central Florida catch? I have fished lakes from Tampa - Lakeland - Apopka - St.Cloud and never got one that big!

One more question - Did the dogs you hunted with have the knives or you? :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:

HH

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a good pic, fish was only six pounds.....caught in west lake toho....dog with a knife...thats funny right there. :laughing7:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
fladiverdown said:
Hey Big Cypress, Would not be surprised if our bent sawgrass hasn't crossed paths at one time or another. I used to spend weeks at a time out there and it is truly a great spot. Most Floridians have no idea what they are missing. Thats a good thing :wink:. Had a couple of double wides and a big pond we kept stocked with bass. Jeeps with two gears and no reverse. Shotguns, rifles and four wheel drives. When we got tired of the scenery we would split for the Bahamas and shoot fish. Had to grow up and get responsible so don't get as much of that anymore :'(.

Happy Hunting
I wouldnt be able to spend so much time out there if they didnt pay me so I feel kinda lucky for an old man. I worked Bear Island last March and April and its a beautiful place. We have lots of bears now and panthers. Unfortunately the hogs have disappeared in the Big Cypress Swamp. They have flat out disappeared and nobody cares ...except the hunters.

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
lookindown said:
He couldnt fire his gun in his neighborhood to stop the hog from rooting up his yard......so here comes the attack story again. I dont know thats what happened, but it happens a lot.

A neighbor of mine 1/2 mile down the road from was attacked by a hog while working in his garden 3 years ago.
He got lucky in that the hog only managed to tear up his rubber mud boot instead of his leg.
I personally put 2 12ga. 1 once slug's in that hog.
It was dumb luck his grand kids had decided not to go out to the garden with him.
He didn't see it, and it nailed him from the side unprovoked.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
wildman4910 said:

Wild hogs have been practically irradicated in the Everglades and Big Cypress Preserve area. Im sad to see them go. They have been here for over 400 years since Ponce De Leon set foot on Florida soil. I would imagine an explorer brought hogs to Guam as well. Now we have pythons and coyotes.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
texas wild hogs

Attachments

• DSC04300.JPG
    DSC04300.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 685
  • DSC04300.JPG
    DSC04300.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 678