fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife & I traveled to Pa to visit our Daughter & Son-in-law, we had a welcome relief from our 'Terrible Drought' in Ok, although it was hot a few days, there were a few rains to cool things down.
We visited Parks, saw beautiful cool streams & Mts, saw covered bridges etc.......
We traveled to Amish Country, driving through 'Intercourse Pa', we visited shops, saw a band composed of Old timers, saw a man giving his team of horses a 'cool down', saw one hauling gas cans on his buggy, the corn was growing very thick & tall, it is Beautiful country.

Fossis..............

Attachments

• Traveling The Heartland 002.JPG
    Traveling The Heartland 002.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Traveling The Heartland 004.JPG
    Traveling The Heartland 004.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 1,029
  • Traveling The Heartland 005.JPG
    Traveling The Heartland 005.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Traveling The Heartland 043.JPG
    Traveling The Heartland 043.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Traveling The Heartland 051.JPG
    Traveling The Heartland 051.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,016
  • Traveling The Heartland 042.JPG
    Traveling The Heartland 042.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Traveling The Heartland 061.JPG
    Traveling The Heartland 061.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Traveling The Heartland 094.JPG
    Traveling The Heartland 094.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 983
  • Traveling The Heartland 038.JPG
    Traveling The Heartland 038.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 980
  • Traveling The Heartland 041.JPG
    Traveling The Heartland 041.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 973

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Awesome pictures. That area used to be home for me.

and just be aware, the horses can't read the "share the road" signs :laughing9: Nearly had a bad accident with one that decided to make a sudden left turn in front of me.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Beautiful pictures fossis! I really like the band, I can almost hear them ;D And that creek bed looks like it needs walkin', thanks for sharing!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding photos like usual! Being orignally from that general area, I love seeing the scenery again. Back in the 90's I was in Lancaster for a 3 day bike ride get together(GEAR ride), where we rode quite a few routes thru that area on bicycle, seeing it all up close and personal.

Don

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobinSouthVA said:
Awesome pictures. That area used to be home for me.

and just be aware, the horses can't read the "share the road" signs :laughing9: Nearly had a bad accident with one that decided to make a sudden left turn in front of me.

Thanks, we hated to leave & come back to 113 degrees yesterday.

Fossis..........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Beautiful pictures fossis! I really like the band, I can almost hear them ;D And that creek bed looks like it needs walkin', thanks for sharing!

Thanks, the band was playing all the 'oldies', one little girl had everyone laughing dancing to the music. ;D
My Daughter's travel trailer is parked on a beautiful creek, I gathered flat stones to make 'indian axe's' when i get time to sell at flea markets, I found a few fossil shells, & did see some guys traveling up with back packs, they were probably looking for Relic's.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Outstanding photos like usual! Being orignally from that general area, I love seeing the scenery again. Back in the 90's I was in Lancaster for a 3 day bike ride get together(GEAR ride), where we rode quite a few routes thru that area on bicycle, seeing it all up close and personal.

Don

Thanks Don, we could have stayed several days, but had to get home, but since we are expecting a new Grandbaby, we'll probably be back more often. :thumbsup:

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
Ive only been to PA once and it was beautiful there !
Thanks for those great looking pics.

You're welcome Allen.

Fossis..........

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the building with the red roof? Don't tell me if it's a barn :o

Glad you enjoyed a little relief from the heat. Beautiful area, thanks for sharing with us.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
What is the building with the red roof? Don't tell me if it's a barn :o

Glad you enjoyed a little relief from the heat. Beautiful area, thanks for sharing with us.

Yep, it's a barn, most of the old ones have a sloped driveway going into it, the house was nearby.
Even though I knew it would be 'drier & browner' when we got back, (gone two weeks), it was still a shock to see how all the grass was dead & even bushes along the road were dried out.
How are you faring down that way weather wise?

Fossis...........

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we're getting rain...having to cut grass twice a week now. Yesterday was a horrible, horrible humid day...no metal detecting but did some Find A Grave photographing. I was sopping wet with sweat, came home and nose dived into son's pool. Later, I took the dogs to the pond to cool off, needless to say this is how bad the humidity was...all but about 8 cattle were not in the pond. Dogs cooled off in the river. This was about 7:00 still very humid, thank goodness for cornstarch baby powder to take the stickiness away til you hit the cool shower.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wish we had some of the rain, our ponds are drying up, fish dying in some, (low oxygen), we're supposed to 'cool down' into the 103's later this weekend. :icon_scratch:

Fossis...........

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
This heat wave is something, isn't it? Yeah, I'm hoping it drops to 103 this weekend too. One ol' boy up here had some guys clean his pond out of fish, because he's going to dig it out deeper. they filleted over two hundred pounds of fish, what they didn't catch, were dead the next day. They caught them by hand, the water is so low. But we've rounded the corner right? the heat can't stick around a lot longer, but the drought can.

I was looking at that barn too fossis, they just don't build them that tall here, it's beautiful!

ng

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
This heat wave is something, isn't it? Yeah, I'm hoping it drops to 103 this weekend too. One ol' boy up here had some guys clean his pond out of fish, because he's going to dig it out deeper. they filleted over two hundred pounds of fish, what they didn't catch, were dead the next day. They caught them by hand, the water is so low. But we've rounded the corner right? the heat can't stick around a lot longer, but the drought can.

I was looking at that barn too fossis, they just don't build them that tall here, it's beautiful!

ng
It's good they caught the fish before they died, we around here have been digging the ponds deeper since last year, lets hope the Drought eases up soon . :thumbsup:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Beautiful pictures. Causes me to reminisce of yesteryear. I lived in Red Lion, pa. for over a year, about 2 miles from the mighty Susquehanna river. Once we crossed the river we were in Lancaster county. We would go over there every Tuesday evening to their farmers market for fresh produce. After having church they would have their livestock auctions.We also stayed for the livestock auctions. They also made some of the best home made dishes and breads I have ever tasted. I could live like that but circumstances dictated that I leave it behind. It is nice to see it again. Thanks. rockhound

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rockhound said:
Beautiful pictures. Causes me to reminisce of yesteryear. I lived in Red Lion, pa. for over a year, about 2 miles from the mighty Susquehanna river. Once we crossed the river we were in Lancaster county. We would go over there every Tuesday evening to their farmers market for fresh produce. After having church they would have their livestock auctions.We also stayed for the livestock auctions. They also made some of the best home made dishes and breads I have ever tasted. I could live like that but circumstances dictated that I leave it behind. It is nice to see it again. Thanks. rockhound

Thanks, we sure enjoyed our visit, I'll bet 'The Amish' are some of the healthiest people in the country, hard work, faith, clean living, pride in their handicrafts, should all add up.

Fossis...........

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics and glad you got a break from the heat. Seein lots of Texans up here, but not so much from Oklahoma. I guess you guys are headin up to Yankeeland this year!

wayne_sa

Jun 30, 2009
san antonio
Nice pics as usual!
That "gas can" horse makes the buggy look small.
And the old-men band... who doesn't like a banjo/trombone combo? :o I bet they were very good.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Nice pics and glad you got a break from the heat. Seein lots of Texans up here, but not so much from Oklahoma. I guess you guys are headin up to Yankeeland this year!

Thanks, if the weather patterns stay the same in the years to come, there will probably be lots of Texans & Okie's heading Northward, (including me). :icon_sunny:

Fossis..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread