pears are ready for harvest!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my boys and a friend drove down a little past Sacramento and picked a truckload of pears. Also got some walnuts and palm trees. I bet we got close to a thousand lbs. of pears. We have been giving them away to all the neighbors and folks at work. Gonna make some pear butter!! Got a little tip on the pear butter. Guy told me you can spice it up a bit by adding a little pineapple. May give it a try. Pears were free so I can experiment a bit. ;D

Attachments

• pears.jpg
    pears.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 225
F

Felinepeachy

You know what my grandma used to do with pear butter was add the little tiny red hot candies to give it a slight Cinnamon flavor. Oh it was so good......................wait........umm, that's what she did with the apple butter. LOL never mind. :tard:

I love pears though and they are very good for you. ;D

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
have you ever had any pear honey? My grandmother used to make it every year. Pear honey on a biscuit was to die for....YUM YUM

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
packerbacker said:
No, I haven't. Do you mix honey with pear butter or something similar? It ALL sounds good.

I think the main ingredients of pear honey is pears and sugar and coconut. cinnamon is added as well. There is a small amount of honey but not much. cook it all up until the pears are soft. you can google the recipe for pear honey. there are different ones on there. my grandmother's was from an old recipe book handed down thru generations in the family.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Huntress, that sounds a lot like what my grandmother had in her pear cake.

They knew how to cook for sure. :notworthy:

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
NaturalJWL said:
Huntress, that sounds a lot like what my grandmother had in her pear cake.

They knew how to cook for sure. :notworthy:

They sure did. Most everything was made from scratch.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like em, I like em a lot. :P

Fossis...........

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is kind of upsetting is how much goes to waste in these orchards. The one we were in was many acres, not sure of the exact size, and the crop had already been harvested. It's all on contract. The orchard owner supplies x amount of tons of crop. It all has to be scheduled with the pickers, the haulers and the processing plants. Due to the many separate orchards and time of harvest there are very small windows available to get your crop picked, hauled and processed. Once you meet the contract quota, you are done. Even if you had thousands of tons of crop left, there isn't a crew available to pick, no trucks to haul them and the processing plant has no time for them. The orchard owners don't want the public in there picking because of liability and people will leave trash, break branches and tear up irrigation lines. Many of the trees in this orchard hadn't even had one pear picked from them and were just dripping with pears; looked like maybe 100 pears per tree. The trees in this pic had been harvested but the pears that weren't ready at harvest time are now ready and note the ripe ones on the ground.

Attachments

• pears3.jpg
    pears3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 136

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread