Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took these pictures just a few minutes ago of a Sun Dog and wanted to share.....I had never even heard of such a thing(Thank God for Google!).....apparently these are caused by ice crystals forming in high cirrus clouds.
Here's a wikipedia link: Sun dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a couple of pictures: IMG_0665 - Copy (800x533).jpg IMG_0670 - Copy (800x533).jpg Sun Dog 3.jpg
Can you see it? Its like a rainbow around the sun!!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, up here in the northern states it happens many times, and I have been told that within three days a storm may happen. I have experienced this and actually seen it happen. No, really I does occure.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, up here in the northern states it happens many times, and I have been told that within three days a storm may happen. I have experienced this and actually seen it happen. No, really I does occure.
I thought I was seeing things, old digger.......or it was just a trick of the light. But my daughter, me and my sister could all see it. It didn't last for very long, maybe about 30 mins. at the most.
Thanks!! Glad we're not the only ones who see these things :sunny:

straightenarrow

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2012
Wisco
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pointer, Whites Classic 3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I worked in AK doing aerial survey we encountered these frequently! Quite the site to see!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I worked in AK doing aerial survey we encountered these frequently! Quite the site to see!
I guess there are "moon dogs" and a friend of mine said she saw a "devil dog"----Thanks for the comments, straightenarrow :hello:

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Beatiful pics thanks Charmin ! I have seen this , but never knew what it was called ! I want to remind everyone ! On May 20 , 2012 the first full annular solar eclpise will occour in the US in 18 years . Check the link below to see if it will be visbile where you live . Hoss
Today's night sky

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beatiful pics thanks Charmin ! I have seen this , but never knew what it was called ! I want to remind everyone ! On May 20 , 2012 the first full annular solar eclpise will occour in the US in 18 years . Check the link below to see if it will be visbile where you live . Hoss
Today's night sky
Thanks for that info, Hoss!!

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Aurora Aqua, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper, E Trac, Dees Nutz rod, Tesoro Sand Shark. Pro pulse.
I always thought a sun dog was a reflected 2nd sun. We saw these in Albert Lee Mn in brutal weather. Had little square pieces of ice on the ground like broken safety glass.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep seen em quite a bit in Oklahoma, but usually just a small rainbow like patch, and here in Colorado a few times time. Mom said it meant rain within 24 hrs. in Oklahoma, and it usually did. Up here I guess it means pay attention to the road and watch out for Texans who can't drive on snow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread