Badwater . Death Valley National Park . How Hot Is It ?

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
At 282 ' (86 m) below sea level Badwater is the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere ....... and the hottest place on Earth . Alltough the highest recorded temperature on Earth was in Libya in 1922 at 136° Death Valley has more average hot days than any place on Earth . On July 13 , 1913 Oscar Denton the recorder at Furance Creek Ranch marked a temperature of 134° F ( 56.60C ) . Now keep in mind Furance Creek is 20 miles north of Badwater and over 100 ft higher . Oscar refused to drive to Badwater to make a recording ( Who in there right mind would ! ) so is not a far reach to assume the at Badwater that day it was around 140° ! Oscar wrote this that day " I thought the world was coming to an end ! Birds in flight were falling to the ground dead ! I soaked a towel and put it on my head and it was completily dry before I could run back inside ! Fun facts ! The longest days in a row it reached 100° or above is 154 days ! In 1996 it was 110° for 110 days in a row ! In July the average high temp is 115° and the low 88° ! The Ranger related to me the story of a man that came in July in a dark 3 peice suit complete with bowler and umbreilla and asked if he might borrow one of the residents dogs . When asked why he replied " I want a picture to prove that only mad dogs and Englishman come out in the noonday sun ! " ( Ian ....... WAS THAT YOU ! )
Thanks for comeing along everyone ! Hope you had a good time ! Hoss

Attachments

• DSCN2793.JPG
    DSCN2793.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN2771.JPG
    DSCN2771.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN2796.JPG
    DSCN2796.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN2794.JPG
    DSCN2794.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN2800.JPG
    DSCN2800.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN2807.JPG
    DSCN2807.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN2812.JPG
    DSCN2812.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN2813.JPG
    DSCN2813.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN2814.JPG
    DSCN2814.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN2789.JPG
    DSCN2789.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one more reason I'm happy to be here in the mountains. The hottest it ever got in the last 8 years was 81 degrees, which was a record. No more choppin cotton in 105 degree heat for me!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mention of Badwater reminds me of "the world's toughest foot race," a legendary event that pits approximately 90 of the world's toughest athletes—runners, triathletes, adventure racers, and mountaineers—against one another and the elements. Covering 135 miles (217km) non-stop from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney, CA in temperatures up to 130F (55c), it is the most demanding and extreme running race offered anywhere on the planet. The 35th anniversary edition will be held July 16-18, 2012.
Don....

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but it's a dry heat. LOL

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Just one more reason I'm happy to be here in the mountains. The hottest it ever got in the last 8 years was 81 degrees, which was a record. No more choppin cotton in 105 degree heat for me!

Oh come on RG ! Get your cotton pickin butt down here and at least take a look ! Hoss

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
What fun to see such dessication up close, and snow-capped mountains in the distance.

Yes Bill the contrast is beatiful ! Death Valley in my eyes is one of the " natrual wonders of the world " and something everyone should see . The white stuff you see myself and the others folks standing on is called " the salt pan " and is allmost 100% pure table salt . Hoss

Last edited:
OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Mention of Badwater reminds me of "the world's toughest foot race," a legendary event that pits approximately 90 of the world's toughest athletes—runners, triathletes, adventure racers, and mountaineers—against one another and the elements. Covering 135 miles (217km) non-stop from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney, CA in temperatures up to 130F (55c), it is the most demanding and extreme running race offered anywhere on the planet. The 35th anniversary edition will be held July 16-18, 2012.
Don....

Yes Don you are absoulety right . The Badwater Marathon is without doubt the most brutally demanding race on this planet ..... bar none . Only the very best of the best are even considered and many of those do not finish . A bit of triva . The racers start at the lowest point in the Untied States (Badwater ) and finish at the highest point in the lower 48 Mt Whitney . Hoss

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hoss,
Actually, I think the race ends at Whitney Portal (elevation 8,360). One year when I was doing Whitney I met a few of these guys for breakfast back in Lone Pine after they had finished to the Portal the night before. They were preparing to go from the Portal to the Summit (14,496 feet) and back to the Portal (22 miles) just FOR FUN that same day !!
Don........

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Hoss,
Actually, I think the race ends at Whitney Portal (elevation 8,360). One year when I was doing Whitney I met a few of these guys for breakfast back in Lone Pine after they had finished to the Portal the night before. They were preparing to go from the Portal to the Summit (14,496 feet) and back to the Portal (22 miles) just FOR FUN that same day !!
Don........

Yes you are right . They do not climb the peak itself and finish at the portal . But I figuerd that is dam close enough ! Hoss

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha! No way Hoss! I only come down out of the mountains about once a year now, for maybe a week. Oh, I never picked cotton, but I did pull bolls. Great pics!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Willie I hear that a lot from the tourist ! And I always tell them so is sticking your head in an oven ! :laughing7: Hoss
LOL I'm sure you do. I spent 23 months stationed @ Ft. Irwin, CA. I can remember sitting in a Humvee in September and noticing the thermometer reading @ 120. I'd much rather take a desert summer over a Florida summer.

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Great pics Hoss. Don't think I'll be heading there any time soon. A bit to hot for me.

Thanks BCB ! Glad you liked them ! Don't give up on the desert too quickley ! April and October are are great times to vist Death Valley National Park and I assure you , you will not be disapointed ! Hoss

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Never been in the desert so I'd like to experience it at least once.

I promise you bcb , you will not regret it ! There is a certain feeling you get in the desert . That you can see , hear and feel all that is around you . You are alone , and there is no one else . Your senses are on full alert , because it is just you the earth and the sky ! Hope you can make it here ! Hoss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions