Southern Railway #630 puts on a show!

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pic says it all! Hope you like it! Taken with my phone, trackside.

ForumRunner_20120618_091700.png

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Outstanding ncsp ! Love to see these " old steamers ' still going ! Do you have any history on # 630 ? Thanks for the great pics !
Hoss

OP
OP
ncsilverspider

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOSSNV said:
Outstanding ncsp ! Love to see these " old steamers ' still going ! Do you have any history on # 630 ? Thanks for the great pics !
Hoss

I have a bit but not much. #630 is 2-8-0 consolidation type steam locomotive built I believe by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1904. It worked on the Southern Railway hauling freight most of it's life before being sent to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in the 1980's hauling passenger trains along with the famous Southern #4501. It was then retired until Norfolk Southern decided to restart their steam excursion program in 2011 and #630 was completely restored to what you see in the pic. #4501 is next. (Yay!) Hope this helps!

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Very cool to see the old iron up & going again, it's a shame there are so few left, thank you for posting up the pics.

OP
OP
ncsilverspider

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Sure is purdy! Wish I had one to play with :)

Me and you both my friend! It's a dream of mine to operate a steam locomotive more than once a year (I have driven one before
... awesome! )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread