Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Wisconsin cabin current state

Hello,
Here's where I'm at now. It's all closed in so I can keep the animals out. I haven't decided what I'm going to use for siding. Probably go with board and batten strips like a barn would usually have or maybe shakes. I'm thinking a clear or nearly clear stain.

Thanks for looking,
Sidevalve

Attachments

• Cabin deck hand rail 1.jpg
    Cabin deck hand rail 1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 305
  • Cabin deck hand rail 2.jpg
    Cabin deck hand rail 2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 260

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
That's really nice!!

I know what you mean about the permit process. I want to build a cabin on my property also, but the county building department is my biggest obstacle.

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
That's really nice!!

I know what you mean about the permit process. I want to build a cabin on my property also, but the county building department is my biggest obstacle.

I had to get five permits. Land use $100.00, Sanitary (For an outhouse) $200.00, Drive way $50.00, Township building $15.00 and the actual building permit I think was another $138.00. On top of that I had to have UDC approved plans at $200.00. All to build a cabin with 280 square feet of enclosed area with no running water or electricity. I'm sure it's worse in other parts of the country but I don't see why it's got to be so difficult. Also there are inspection along the way. I had one done with the pier tubes in place prior to pouring and one for the rough framing. The building inspector told me I had to add another row of posts under the wall that's adjacent to the covered porch even though he gave me the building permit based on those plans and it's not a load bearing wall. I'm still fighting that one.

Sidevalve

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cabin. Here's one my Dad and his brothers built in the 60's. We still use it, lot's of great memories there. elk comp' 08.JPG

S

stefen

Great looking cabin...

Just sold our 2 bedroom cabin a week ago and escrow closes on the 31st...spent this last weekend moving all of the furnishings downhill...

Located in Idyllwild in the mountains above Palm Springs...

Due to the snow and wind conditions we used a ship-lap type siding that tends to breath and yet not leak snow or rain.

Not sure that I'd use board / batten because of warpage and leaking vertical joints...

Cedar shakes or fire-treated shingles would work fine...if left untreated they will become a nice silvery gray color...

Might also consider T1-11 plywood paneling set vertical and butted at a 2 X 4 stud...

This is a fast to install and can be left natural, stained or painted...

Only problem we found, regardless of siding type, is that Woodpeckers have a picnic...and tree rats like to get thru the roof vents...

Which reminds me, might consider chicken wire wrapping the undersides of the exposed floor joints...

Enjoy

Last edited:

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I had to get five permits. Land use $100.00, Sanitary (For an outhouse) $200.00, Drive way $50.00, Township building $15.00 and the actual building permit I think was another $138.00. On top of that I had to have UDC approved plans at $200.00. All to build a cabin with 280 square feet of enclosed area with no running water or electricity. I'm sure it's worse in other parts of the country but I don't see why it's got to be so difficult. Also there are inspection along the way. I had one done with the pier tubes in place prior to pouring and one for the rough framing. The building inspector told me I had to add another row of posts under the wall that's adjacent to the covered porch even though he gave me the building permit based on those plans and it's not a load bearing wall. I'm still fighting that one.

Sidevalve
Believe it or not, that sounds almost tolerable. I consider our building department to be nothing more than organized crime. (They think in thousands.)

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You know how stupid I am? I thought you could just build what you wanted for free on your own property. I guess I am so dumb, but it sure explains to me now why the ranchers I know just stick an old trailer out in the woods to use for a hunting cabin or a place to hang out or a place for the kids to go camping. And if the western states are worse fee wise, that really sucks...

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work.. I would love to start a project like that one day.. I hope you have many happy memories in it..

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Cabin-vs-camper

You know how stupid I am? I thought you could just build what you wanted for free on your own property. I guess I am so dumb, but it sure explains to me now why the ranchers I know just stick an old trailer out in the woods to use for a hunting cabin or a place to hang out or a place for the kids to go camping. And if the western states are worse fee wise, that really sucks...

I considered just dragging a camper in there but they have rules for that too. I believe the rule is it has to be moved once a month or something along those lines. The problem I had with doing this is I'd have to spend money on a camper that could go for a cabin. Over time the camper would be worth nothing while the cabin would always have value.....At least that's my thinking. Besides I just don't think I'd be happy with a camper.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool Sidevalve45. I'm uninformed like Austin too I guess. How is it you have to get approved to build that, if it's out in the country and you own the land? I could see it if you were in town, where they have all these housin things and city ordinances, and you should try to get along so as not to offend tourists like up here. What is the concern out in the county? I can see not polluting the ground water, fire hazard, etc., etc., but how do they have the authority to regulate things out in the country, and where did they come up with the time to regulate outhouses? I suppose there's a valid reason.

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Rules and regulations

That's cool Sidevalve45. I'm uninformed like Austin too I guess. How is it you have to get approved to build that, if it's out in the country and you own the land? I could see it if you were in town, where they have all these housin things and city ordinances, and you should try to get along so as not to offend tourists like up here. What is the concern out in the county? I can see not polluting the ground water, fire hazard, etc., etc., but how do they have the authority to regulate things out in the country, and where did they come up with the time to regulate outhouses? I suppose there's a valid reason.

That's what grinds my gears too! Ya own it, Pay the taxes, Spend your money to build the thing. But you still have to ask for someone elses permission and they tell you how it needs to be built besides. Also my cabin is in a different township than where I live. If I built it in my township all I would have needed was a $15.00 building permit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread