Old Church Building

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Stopped along I-80, about 70 miles east of Grand Island, Nebraska.

Managed to get a picture between rain storms.

IMG_5737toma_zpsffea1f49.jpg

IMG_5740fuse_zpsd43e3f38.jpg

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What a beautiful picture! I was trying to find the words to describe the feelings I have when I see a picture of an old building like this... I guess it is a kind of "reverence" for what the building meant to so many folks over the years--in contrast to the abandoned shell that it is today. One can only imagine the joy when the building was newly constructed, and the many years of births, weddings, and deaths observed by the congregation. Of course, I also feel an excitement at what one might find in an old church yard like this. What a wonderful mess the interior is in. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Last edited:

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing photo with the dark clouds and sky in the background.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful picture just why do people have to graffiti everything.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
What a beautiful picture! I was trying to find the words to describe the feelings I have when I see a picture of an old building like this... I guess it is a kind of "reverence" for what the building meant to so many folks over the years--in contrast to the abandoned shell that it is today. One can only imagine the joy when the building was newly constructed, and the many years of births, weddings, and deaths observed by the congregation. Of course, I also feel an excitement at what one might find in an old church yard like this. What a wonderful mess the interior is in. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Thank califteacher,

Yes, I thought of those same things that you mentioned.

I imagine it has been hunted hard, since it's right on the side of I-80, and I didn't see any "No Traspassing" signs.

Appears to me that it could be restored. It's on a concrete foundation.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Amazing photo with the dark clouds and sky in the background.

Thanks powderpuf,

I pass by here once in a great while. I only had about 5 min. to stop and take a picture. Weather was terrible with lots of rain, but stopped raining just before reaching this point.
I took a couple of drab cloudy pictures, then the sun came out for an instant, and I got this picture, then just as fast the rain and wind started again.

arnie161

May 26, 2007
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE / T2 / Garrett Ace 250 / White DFX 300 / F75
X-Terra 705 / E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did ya get to detect it ?

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful picture just why do people have to graffiti everything.

Kids trying to be something they are not. At least maybe by being in the church something good will happen to them. At least the outside was left alone.

mikeothmer

May 3, 2009
I live in Lincoln just east of that Church. I think that Church was moved to that sight but I'm not sure. I take lots of pics of old buildings especially Farm Houses and Barns. Lots of neat history but they are being destroyed every day.

Tab Digger

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is a great picture!! I saw that church on my way home from Camp Lejeune NC to Salt Lake City Utah after I was discharged. The thing I wondered was what old coins may be in that ground there. Ihad my MXT in the car but the warden (my wife) said were not stopping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread