Coconut Crab

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard they taste great in the wild. I don't know if one eating garbage would taste so good.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so cool.what a picture,and crab.i think im in love with that thing.thanks for the peek

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008
I have always wondered if that pic was real or shopped??? I have caught many coconut crabs over the years and never anything nearly that size! If it is real that is one impressive crab. Its amazing how small they start off as. This crab I found dead in one of my traps. I dried him out and he preserved well. The smallest I have ever seen was about the size of a quarter. crab_zpsf5daca8e.jpg

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living in Guam in the late 1960's, Coconut Crabs were pretty abundant. The Chamarons (native Guam folk) would cut the top off of coconuts and set them on the beach, tied down. A crab would get it's claw inside and grab the "meat" and wouldn't let go, preventing it from removing it's claw. This made it much easier to grab.

My father was given a plaque with one stuffed and mounted on it where the crab was about 12 inches wide and 15 inches long.
I never saw one as big as the one pictured, but I did see them quite large.

They were excellent eating when caught fresh and boiled like lobster.

I did find a nice group of pictures here 20 Incredible Coconut Crab Photos

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now Im hungry, wonder if Albertsons has a sale or not on crab legs, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread