Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roads were open and in good shape so finally got out of the snow for one night anyway. A great place along the Arkansas River south of Buena Vista. 50's in the day, and 20 above in the night. Lots of interesting rock formations along the river here that can inspire your imagination. The one to the west and above my camp reminded me of some muscled up bird of prey standing guard. Another one looked like a laughing pig to me. A great place to look for images in rocks, and what you see changes by the hour, depending upon the angle of the sun.

Attachments

• 4-24f.jpg
    4-24f.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 4-24b.jpg
    4-24b.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 4-24d.jpg
    4-24d.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 4-24c.jpg
    4-24c.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 160

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a beautiful place to camp.

I was drawn to your thread based on the title....."Hecla Junction."

In my home province, we have one of the largest Icelandic settlements outside of Iceland (maybe even more than the island) and in the area where they settled, is "Hecla Island."

Just curious, do you know how your area became known as Helca Junction?

Cool pictures!

Cheers,
Dave.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures San RGINN, you have to be a good hombre to carry such a beautiful blanket. With that kind of protection, who needs any stinkin guns?

Your pig rock also looks like a chinchilla.

How did you fair in the "bigoton" contest? Any pictures of the results?

Homar

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz, I can't track down the origin of the place name. Hecla Junction was at one time a RR stop, probably for use by the mining companies. This was a large iron producing region and there's a few old fluorspar mines in the area. There is a Hecla Mining Company currently active in the U.S. It's probably reasonable to assume Hecla is a family name and they were immigrants. Best I can come up with at this time. Alas, Coazon, they did not have the contest this year, so I just let the beard grow back in. My face was gettin awful cold anyway. Adios, take care y'all!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's just me ,but the 2nd. picture looks like a face looking up at the sky with his hand shading his eyes from the sun,and the 3rd.one looks like a jerbal/or a chinchilla.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll go with the Chinchilla, too. That rock only looks that way at a particular time of day. Another time it's just a big ol rock. Really to me the most interesting one was the last one. The circle of rocks caught my eye but anyone can see that would be kids or somebody with too much free time on their hands, and they been there for only a couple of years or so. However, note the upright rock with the leaner. These did not wind up that way naturally and have been in that spot for a long time it appears. I don't know how they relate to the big rock in front or if that hole in the leaner is natural or man-made. It's one you have to see in person to make any assumptions. There are lots of stories about the Spanish coming up the Arkansas and being in that area, and they could be just that, stories, but still gives a certain mystique to some of the rock formations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread