Friday evening hunt- I learned an interesting tidbit of VT history!

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started out the weekend with a quick hunt at a local park after dinner. I found the "Militia Training Ground" rock tucked away in a forgotten corner. The bottom photo shows the ball field - this field and park is known as "Town Hill Park". Many towns in this area were founded on top of hills..I suppose that made them less vulnerable to attack. In any event, the old meeting house once stood right there.

I eventually gave up with the detector, because I was finding nothing but crushed Budweiser cans ringing in at 36 and sounding for all the world like something good..how those things get so deep in such a short time is beyond me!

I noticed the monument on the other side of the field and thought I'd check it out. I had no idea that Brigham Young was born in Vermont!!

The topmost photos show the end of the day and were taken from the steps of the monument. Hope you all had an enjoyable weekend too!:hello:

Attachments

• Field.JPG
    Field.JPG
    389 KB · Views: 106
  • Militia Training.JPG
    Militia Training.JPG
    384.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Brigham Young.JPG
    Brigham Young.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Sunset.JPG
    Sunset.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 99
  • almost.JPG
    almost.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 103

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you imagine leaving a beautiful place like Vermont and thinking you found the promised land in Salt Lake?? Go figure! :)
I know what you mean about those deep beer cans. It's almost like someone had to dig a hole to bury them that deep.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's difficult for me to imagine leaving Vermont for the desert- but if he hadn't left, us Vermonters might have had the Temple and the Tabernacle choir in someplace like Waterbury- and then, where would Ben and Jerry's be and how would I get my Phish Food?? B & J.jpg

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really amazing when you get interested in Vt. history, just who came from here, and the importance that our little state played in the development of this country.

Ethan and Ira Allen, Remember Baker, Seth Warner, Thomas Chittenden, Matthew Lyon,(the first US congressman to get in fist fight on floor of house), John Deere, and many other's all came from here. Sure is a nice place to hang your hat!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Arte :hello2: yeah those crushed beer cans sound so good on the safari, I feel your pain. Had some park where they were like that all I can figure is "fill dirt" because of low lying ground.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's really amazing when you get interested in Vt. history, just who came from here, and the importance that our little state played in the development of this country.

Ethan and Ira Allen, Remember Baker, Seth Warner, Thomas Chittenden, Matthew Lyon,(the first US congressman to get in fist fight on floor of house), John Deere, and many other's all came from here. Sure is a nice place to hang your hat!

Vermont has an amazing and varied history - I love this state - there's simply no better place to live!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Artemis Moon,your pictures are gorgeous,the way you captured that one ray of sun.I had no idea Brigham Young was born in Vermont either.We went there this past Fall,beautiful state and GMD52 I became really interested in Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys.Here is a picture of The Taftsville Covered Bridge we took at dusk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Artemis Moon,your pictures are gorgeous,the way you captured that one ray of sun.I had no idea Brigham Young was born in Vermont either.We went there this past Fall,beautiful state and GMD52 I became really interested in Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Men. Off topic and I hate to hijack your thread but we took a picture one evening of a covered bridge in Taftsville and when we lightened it up we saw ghostly apparitions.Here is the picture,I'd be interested in what y'all thought. View attachment 791323

Coily- it's not highjacking- it's contributing, and contributions are always welcome :icon_thumright:.

That's a really cool shot of the covered bridge. I live not too far away from the longest one in New England. As for apparitions, I'm a believer that there's more under the sun then we are meant to know while walking on this earth. I'm convinced my house is haunted. I've never seen anything, but my husband, children and myself have all, on many, many occassions, smelled pipe tobacco even though no one in the house smokes.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Artemis,I tried to delete the part about the bridge being haunted but couldn't figure out how. I actually posted some more pictures here when I first became a member and Jeff of Pa highlighted some of the figures. if you want to see the thread. I too am not sure that once we leave this world that is it,I'm more spiritual than religious I guess though I am a believer of God. That is pretty cool that your husband and kids don't get freaked out about smelling the pipe tobacco.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread