Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arkansas River, Brown's Canyon CO

Camped there last night. Finally, springlike conditions. 80 in the day, 40 at night. The tourists were rafting but I just wasn't impressed, as I could have waded across the river in most spots and not get knocked down. Now would be a good time for those who want to do it but not risk their lives too much. The river is gettin the area snow melt right now but not too much from up at Leadville yet. Maybe a couple of weeks and it will be a more impressive ride for rafters.

Attachments

• 5-16c.jpg
    5-16c.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 5-16e.jpg
    5-16e.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 5-16f.jpg
    5-16f.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 103
  • 5-16h.jpg
    5-16h.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 96

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice view and a peaceful place to camp especaially in the early fall when the turkeys all go back over the hill. I lived in the upper Arkansas valley in the mid 70s early 80s. All three towns at one point, Leadville, BV & Salida. I had a neighbor when I lived in BV who worked for the Denver Rio Grande. He was section repair for that very line of track just across the river in your picture back then. He would take me along on his little put-put car and I'd watch one side of the track for busted bonds - a cable that was connected each rail end for radio transmission through the rails - as he looked along the other side. This way he'd be all finished in one pass with me along. We'd pull the put-put off on a timber pad and do a little fishing in areas of Brown Canyon that was inaccessible to most folks. I only remember his first name as Paul. The train doesn't use that line any more and hasn't for a long time now, so it be safe to hike along it I would think, but still would be considered trespassing by the railroad dicks, but they don't come around there anymore. You post many images of places in my past and remind me of the good times I had back then, Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread