fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked out to the flower bed this afternoon to check my hummingbird feeder. That's when I spotted this one on the same web! I reckon it is the mate to the one I moved to the woods the other day. Anyway, I took a couple pics and then moved this one to the same spot as the first one. Maybe they will hook up again!
When I downloaded the pictures I noticed something odd about this one. Can Y'all see what I am talking about?

Attachments

• spider 007 b.jpg
    spider 007 b.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 125

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fyrffytr1!! Looks as if it has a egg sack on it's back!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is wild and weird!...great pic of 'The Skull Spider'!! ;)

dbag1969

Jun 15, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Writing Spider

Spiders no doubt are amazing artists. They build their home skillfully and artistically. Writing Spider, Yellow and Black Garden Spider or Corn Spider is one such spider, from the genus Argiope. They have striking colored abdomen. They get their name, writing spider, from their practice of building their web or nest in a pattern of Zs and Xs down the center. They bite but are not dangerous. The male spider is much smaller than the female spider in size. He spins a companion web alongside the female spider and then the female lays her eggs. The female spider then places her egg sac containing 400-1400 eggs into the web. Writing-Spiders-251x300.jpg

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to have one out by my compost pile and I loved watching it collect grasshoppers and other flying insects.

Jeevez

Aug 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, unwanted indeed! How big do you say this spider was because I am looking at the blinds and then looking back at it and all I can think is good grief. I can see the skull though, which makes this even scarier. So, not a spider fan, but amazing photo!

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, unwanted indeed! How big do you say this spider was because I am looking at the blinds and then looking back at it and all I can think is good grief. I can see the skull though, which makes this even scarier. So, not a spider fan, but amazing photo!

He is not really that big. Probably had a body length of 1 3/4"s. The female that I moved last week was about 2 1/4"s.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I moved this spider out to the woods yesterday afternoon. Shortly after dark we had a thunderstorm that dumped 1 1/2"s of rain in 45 minutes! Imagine my surprise when I walked out back this morning to find a beautiful big web with my buddy perched right in the middle of it! I thought that I would go out this evening to take some more pictures but, all I found was a badly torn up web with a single feather hanging from one of the remaining strands. And, the spider was nowhere to be found!
Hopefully he will be back tomorrow.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The bite may not be dangerous but wouldn't I stop short of jumping off a condo if that thing was on me.. By the way did it start shaking the heck out of the web when you walked up? Not sure why they do that? It is a somewhat friendly spider but a big ol boy
We have lots of them here in SW Fla but the ones that scare the crap out of me are the Banana Spiders and and the huntsmen spider huntsmen spaider.jpg banana spider.jpg

Yuck gives me the creeps just looking at them, BTW I couldn't find a photo of anyone brave enough to hold a Banana spider haha they can have a nasty temper if you mess with them. As kids we would get them to fight with other insects and spiders..

Last edited:
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They won't "hook up".

They are both females.

:)
I know that now. The male is very small, probably less than 1/4" body length. There is still a male in it's web out by the woods but I cannot get a picture of it due to it's extremely small size.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several of these gals in my hedges...They are in about the same place each year. They do a heck of job on bugs and they are always welcome at my house...well outside my house they are welcome.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several of these gals in my hedges...They are in about the same place each year. They do a heck of job on bugs and they are always welcome at my house...well outside my house they are welcome.
They are welcome here as well, just not near the hummingbird feeders. I have seen a hummer caught up in a web. Luckily, I was able to clean it off and release it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread