Pics from around the Bay Area today

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
91713 Golden Gate.JPG 9 1713 golden gate sm vers.JPG At least 200million years old! sm vers.JPG lens flare wut sm vers.JPG mt diablo 917 small version.JPG mt diablo 917 2 small version.JPG

I just got this camera and took a few pics in my travels around the Bay today. I haven't used a nice camera since 35mm in the 90's! so these new-fangled ones with 30 buttons are hard to get a grasp of lol. I had a uv filter on but was a smoggy/hazy day. I bought a wide lens today and the Mt Diablo pics(Mt. that burned last week) were taken with the new wide lens which I was excited to get, as was the pic with the lens flare. I have to go back to Marin tomorrow to run an errand so maybe I'll try the Golden Gate from a better angle with the wide lens instead of the mid lens if I get time. Thanks for checking them out and I'm open to any tips for still or video with Canon or Nikon DSLR's. Alex.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The D3200 is a nice little camera, and can take incredible shots
when the opportunity arises. Best suggestion I could make is
switch to Manual mode, and adjust as you would your earlier
model 35mm. Then try the Aperture mode, etc.

The beauty of a DSLR is that you can shoot in RAW format, then
process the raw-data images yourself in a variety of programs. It's
really the only way to get the best out of any frame (or group of
frames).

For DSLR tutorials, the best site is CambridgeInColor, and they
have a full series of tutorials on every aspect of your new Nikon. One
basic rule of photography is the "Rule of Thirds", and applying it will
bring immediate improvement to many of your shots.

Congrats on the purchase, and I'm looking forward to seeing
the improvements in your shots as you get more experience with
it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey not bad. I thought the sky out there would look way worse due to smog but that's not much different than what our sky here in the high country looked like this a.m. We have some smoke from various wildfires across the country lingering in the air. What brand/type of camera did you get?

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The D3200 is a nice little camera, and can take incredible shots
when the opportunity arises. Best suggestion I could make is
switch to Manual mode, and adjust as you would your earlier
model 35mm. Then try the Aperture mode, etc.

The beauty of a DSLR is that you can shoot in RAW format, then
process the raw-data images yourself in a variety of programs. It's
really the only way to get the best out of any frame (or group of
frames).

For DSLR tutorials, the best site is CambridgeInColor, and they
have a full series of tutorials on every aspect of your new Nikon. One
basic rule of photography is the "Rule of Thirds", and applying it will
bring immediate improvement to many of your shots.

Congrats on the purchase, and I'm looking forward to seeing
the improvements in your shots as you get more experience with
it.

Cool thanks to both of you and thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out that site for sure. I'm getting a 70D too pretty soon and this Nikon will be as a back-up and for stills. I got the wide 12-24mm Tokina and a cannon 70-300mm already for the cannon but I still need a mid range lens at about 800bucks lol or maybe even 1900 if I go for faster lens.... the lenses cost so much it's gross lol. I thought I was shooting in raw today only to find out I shot jpeg low quality after:) It is amazing technology 24.1 megapixels and canon has 20.2 and they shoot cinema quality film I'm blown away by it all;) thanks again for link.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey not bad. I thought the sky out there would look way worse due to smog but that's not much different than what our sky here in the high country looked like this a.m. We have some smoke from various wildfires across the country lingering in the air. What brand/type of camera did you get?

A Nikon D3200 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007VGGFZU
And I've been buying lenses for this bad boy lol http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/de...084652?output=EOS+70D+DSLR+Camera+(Body+Only)

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you VP, I ended up not going back to Golden Gate Bridge today after all but I did go out in search of a good spot and more practice with the camera and found this crazy spot that gave me a view of millions of people! It was hazier than yesterday but I can see getting some good shots here in the future on clearer air quality days and when I'm not shooting right into the sun lol.
Oakland grizpeak sm version.JPG oak griz pk  sm vers.JPG sf gp hazey sm vers.JPG the look and feel I was going for! smaller.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Omg I'm getting quite addicted to this lol, I tried to get some shots before work but ended up in a bank of fog ruining the good view so I just got a couple of pics underneath all the fog. foggy hill.jpg flourescent color balance foggy.jpg night better size.jpg foggyhill2.jpg 3rd pick is from other night not today just resized better

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Nice pics. Love the Bay area and have been there several times. Have relatives in Walnut Creek and then further out in Davis.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
luv that area. We were just up there to visit my grandpas grave at the precidio cemetary. Hes got a great view

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know where your talking about. I used to play at Lincoln golf course when I was living over that side of bay it has some great views and is affordable for some reason lol. Lots of walking up hills and its not a super high quality course but I'm not a high quality golfer so it was a good fit. Thanks for the replies guys I'll keep posting pics here. Alex.

2cbKn2x.jpg

DS4Xy6A.jpg

BOywWYU.jpg

I figured out how to link full size images through imgur.com yay lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Morning guys here are some pics most of them are from last night, the guys on the pier that I was on caught a shark lol. I will post more pics later my memory card isn't getting all the pics to the computer so I have to figure out why it won't read some pics. Last pic gust of wind gave a cool mistake pic:)
b3vmQGw.jpg
c5d8r0a.jpg
51muDoG.jpg
View attachment QQd4Ecd.jpg
EXphbKL.jpg
View attachment b7xFm3t.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful...My wife and 3 daughters went out that way 2 months ago. They stayed on the coast a little north of the bay and text me pic's of all the good times they were having. I stayed home with 2 dogs and a cat... Love the breeze, smell of the air and sights on the SF Bay!

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol well Grant you have a great attitude for having to stay home with the cat, thanks for the 'likes' they're motivational:) here's more pics from today/tonight. Also speaking of cats I have included a pic of my sisters cat from today and a random strawberry from her backyard..
07l04sf.jpg
1nv4lr2.jpg
yt2DIbq.jpg
View attachment 1h5nmob.jpg
E59IXLn.jpg
iW1Z5AE.jpg

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics...keep em coming!

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol well I was in the right place at the right time and caught a wedding proposal! Sorry if this thread has degraded into some weird photo-blog, I'll try to post something treasure hunting related or prospecting here soon lol. I do have a plan behind all this practice and weird genre's lol. I'm going to start doing some video here soon and I'll post a prospecting trip or come film one of you guys for a day etc.

Attachments

• aqUicqQ.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • r4uGX53.jpg
    r4uGX53.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 64
  • RsJokuE.jpg
    RsJokuE.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IgQ0eQm.jpg
    IgQ0eQm.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MetoeorMiner, You are doing just fine, I was born in Sf and lived many years there and across the Bay in Marin counry, Mill Valley. I remember the old ferries sigh. However you haven't posted any of SF's famous mark, the thick fog coming in on the bridge. nor The Golden Gate Park or Sutro forest. Twin Peaks was good for necking in those days hi RR heheheheh

Gracias

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MetoeorMiner, You are doing just fine, I was born in Sf and lived many years there and across the Bay in Marin counry, Mill Valley. I remember the old ferries sigh. However you haven't posted any of SF's famous mark, the thick fog coming in on the bridge. nor The Golden Gate Park or Sutro forest. Twin Peaks was good for necking in those days hi RR heheheheh

Gracias

Don Jose de La Mancha

Thank you TT I appreciate the kind words. I did post one of the bridge above but ironically you asked for the GGB cloaked in fog and I just happened to get that exact shot today lol, look closely at this pic:)
j6otzga.jpg
Here's a couple more I was happy with.
9YsCuPB.jpg
6N5bYeS.jpg
View attachment fj3Wpmk.jpg
Hope you guys like them too. Alex

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ZXs5kG1.jpg IO86ykx.jpg
DSC_1508tarantula1.JPG DSC_1515spider.JPG
Pics from tues at Mt Diablo. I paid ten bucks to visit a state park we pay taxes to staff and maintain so I could take pictures of smog:) and the observation deck was closed for maintenance! Go figure:) I did see a tarantula crossing the road and got couple of pics.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
969jc7u.jpg XbkleGL.jpg
0ETf6ZE.jpg lrC3KCo.jpg
oOe52O8.jpg
I was going to abandon this thread but saw it somehow got five stars so I feel obligated to post a few more:) Edit please click image twice or 3 times to view full size pic thanks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread