VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey pipp!! One of the nurse interns working with me is from Flagstaff!! Hpoe you're well and Happy Thanksgiving!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how I prefer snow. Just enough to make a good presentation, and a lot way up on top of the mountains, but the roads stay clear and dry.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a big snow storm come in to Flag long time ago. It was was a nice day and then it just came it fast with HUGE snowflakes and started covering I-17 in like 20 minutes. Big rigs were slippin and slidin all over the road going north on 17. I'd never seen a snow storm like it. Where you at there Pip? north of town on 89?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bounce between clarkdale and east flag...plus friends out in the forties...
surprised you recognized the view...
I had all of AZ as a sales territory. I was all over the state in the 1990s. Stayed many a time at the Super 8 north of flag on 89. I'll never forget one night in Flag. I went to a place called Bunhuggers for a beer and burger. It was around 10pm. I sat at the bar which was a rectangular layout with the servers in the center. I'm sitten and watching this big and bad a$$ biker dude just staring down another fella across from him and three stools down from me. The biker dude got up and started walking around to the side of the bar I was on and up to the fellow he was staring down. I said to myself this doesn't look good. As I kept my eye on this situation I saw the biker dude pull out a knife and he started crackin the fellow on the head with the but of his knife. It went in to a full blown fight and I got knocked in to by folks the two fighters knocked in to. I just got a full glass of beer and wasn't finished with my burger, but I pulled out a Ten and tossed it to the server and said HERE' keep the change, but I'm done and outa here.

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
25 years ago. My wife and I and our 7 year old daughter are driving to California to visit her family for the Christmas Holidays. We are in a baby blue 65 Falcon with the right rear suspension springs broken so I have a block of oak wired under the axle to keep that part of the car up. We are about 10 miles east of Flagstaff when the weather closes in and there's fog and heavy snow. As you can imagine, we're in the wrong car in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The road conditions are deteriorating. Getting really snowy and slippery. The temperature isn't cold enough to make the big heavy flakes fly past the wind shield. They stick and clump and the wipers are (of course) crappy and slow so I can't see clearly into the increasing snow.

My wife checks the road atlas and finds a turn south toward Phoenix if we can only make it to Flagstaff.

I slow down. The snow is coming thicker and I can barely see ahead. A semi blasts by leaving us in its sloppy, icy wake and my worn out wipers are doing a crappy job cleaning the windshield. I watch the edge of the road and I try to keep a steady pace and stay on the road. I begin to worry about what I've brought my family to. I made a bad decision to go this route at this time of year, We're in a rear wheel drive car that's marginally capable of handling this kind of situation. Lights are coming behind us. Cars and trucks continue to blow past as I try to see ahead and negotiate the snowy highway and visibility continues to worsen. The defroster in this car is a pipsqueak and the windshield is beginning to fog up. I look over at my wife. She is focused ahead but glances over at me. Her eyes tell me she is feeling the same thing I am feeling. One little miscue...one little slip and we're off the road, into the ditch and suddenly into a situation I never planned for and certainly do not have support for. This was before cell phones, and all the clothes we packed were for California. There wasn't a blanket in the car.

Believe me, in those moments I was the most vulnerable I have ever felt.

Then Cathy says "Look!"

I take my eyes off the road I'm trying to stay focused on and look out the right window at what she is excitedly pointing at. It is a majestic bald eagle. Flying beside the falcon. Right outside the car. Amazing! If we rolled down Cathy's window we could almost have touched it. It was keeping pace with us, looking straight ahead. As if to say "Follow me".

I immediately felt at peace. As if there was nothing to worry about. That beautiful eagle led the way up the last few miles through that snow storm until we reached the flagstaff turnoff. There were trucks pulled off all over the place. I don't remember when the eagle left us, but I do remember the gratefulness I felt when we reached the turn south and began descending off the mountain toward Phoenix and warmer weather. When the snow turned to rain and there was no longer ice and snow on the road, I finally relaxed and breathed a long sigh of relief.

To this day I wonder why that eagle came to us when it did. I don't think there was anything mystical about it, but I appreciate the circumstance that brought it to me when I needed it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pippinwhitepaws
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was driving into flagstaff on !-40 one morning...should have stayed at home in parks...but the latte' urge came on me so I get in the car and hit the road....
as soon as I hit the on ramp, I knew I was in trouble...too late to pull off...just about the time I hit the end of the off ramp...I see this eagle sitting on a pine in the median...
as soon as I drive by...this bird launches into the sky....and matches my speed...the eagle is almost touching the driver side window...as he is looking in at me....
big medicine moment...

between the coyote and the eagles...I wonder who the intelligent specie's on earth truly are.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a crow can be very smart... I also find a squirrel to be very intelligent. I feed them some times and they take the nuts to hide. When a Blue Jays is watching the squirrel to see the place the squirrel will hide his nut he will swoop down and steal the nut after the squirrel thinks the nut is buried safe. There is one squirrel that comes for a nut and when he see's the Blue Jay watching he will act as if he is digging a hole and putting a nut in the hole and cover it. He pulls a total fake on the Blue Jay, as I see the squirrel run off with the nut still in his mouth. The Blue Jay swoops in and finds he was duped and the squirrel is long gone to a secret hiding place. The Blue Jay is very upset at that point.... Nature will sure get you to wonder who's the smartest.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son lives in Flag when he isn't working in the canyon as a river runner. I visited him once a few years back and really liked the area. I plan to go back and run the rapids in the near future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread